Should i get a D40 or D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dearboy87

Jun 7, 2007
Sorry to bother you guys with yet again same question.

I just sold of my F31FD, moving on to the world of DSLR.

considering either getting a new D40 or a second hand D80.
Maybe i didn't done my research enough. Pretty new to the DSLR world

I know that D40 doesn't comes with AF motor and no MLU.
meaning alot of older lens if used, need to be MF.

I need You guys help me know, how often will i be buying more lens to play with?
Most of the time i will be shooting scenery, buildings, Flowers, group or individual photos.
Sometimes macro and playing with DOF.
not playing with telephoto and so on.

What type of lens and so on i will most of the time be using if i get a D40?
Does it worth the price? or with the shooting interest of mine, will need to play with different type of lenses. Therefore D40 shouldn't be my choice

If u guys think D40 doesn't suit me, and i should get a D80, why? and does it justifies the few hundred more bucks?

My personal opinion is to get a 2nd hand D80 because it opens up a whole range of lenses that would not auto focus with the D40/x. The ability to fully use a wider range of lenses is worth the few hundred bucks more... Of course, there are more features with the D80 as well. :D

You should go and do a research yourself on what lenses you would buy based on what you would like to shoot, then look at what can or cannot work on the D40/x and decide from there. Some of your questions are hard to answer by anyone else because at the end of the day, it really depends on you.

Get the D80.
There are some really useful primes such as the (inexpensive) 50mm that you can AF with.

Ryan

D80 would be the choice (If for me). Allow you to use more lenses with AF function and D80 is consider 1 level higher than D40 (Just my view).

Right now lots of 2nd hand D80 are going at low price compared to the time before D300 and D3 release. :D

Any good website that has full range of nikon lens that i can go take a look. Read about it?

the choice of camera would depend on how far you would want to go into photography

compared to the P&S and prosumer cameras the D40 is really responsive and image quality is also way better
but personally i'd go for a used D80

do a google "d40 vs d80"
lots of different views

Thanks!!! i will look out..

at the same time.. u guys can suggest the combo of lens i will be getting if i buy a D40..

or if i purchase D80.. what lens i should get..

Thanks!!! i will look out..

at the same time.. u guys can suggest the combo of lens i will be getting if i buy a D40..

i have bought a D40x with a 17-55 kit len. it produce very nice colour and DOF. Maybe you can consider it.

Hi there...your 17-55 is not a kit lens..it is a Pro lens lah..seen it..drool over it:bsmilie:

oh sorry, did not mean to put the word kit lens.

I think you can try to start using their kit lens supplied and after shooting for a while you will start to know what lens caters more to your shooting needs / styles.

There will be people advising you to get the body only and get the lens seperately ( because the kit lens IQ not good and what not .. ) From my personal experience, it is not an easy advise to suggest what lens you need upfront when you have no prior shooting experience. I started out with my D80 kit lens as well. But for all means and purposes the kit lenses covers quite a neat range to cater for alot of uses.

i feel like getting the D80body.. cos i can get a brand new one at good price.

den get a second hand lens.. maybe 18-55mm which is in my budget~

D80.... cose i am using a D80 :p haha no la ...

Cose you don't have to upgrade so soon to a new body. and you have more range of lens to choose from ( due to D40 taking only AFS to AF ) and which some of them maybe be cheaper and you can save cost at buying lens than buying a bit more ex AFS lens

Sorry to bother you guys with yet again same question.

I just sold of my F31FD, moving on to the world of DSLR.

considering either getting a new D40 or a second hand D80.
Maybe i didn't done my research enough. Pretty new to the DSLR world

I know that D40 doesn't comes with AF motor and no MLU.
meaning alot of older lens if used, need to be MF.

I need You guys help me know, how often will i be buying more lens to play with?
Most of the time i will be shooting scenery, buildings, Flowers, group or individual photos.
Sometimes macro and playing with DOF.
not playing with telephoto and so on.

What type of lens and so on i will most of the time be using if i get a D40?
Does it worth the price? or with the shooting interest of mine, will need to play with different type of lenses. Therefore D40 shouldn't be my choice

If u guys think D40 doesn't suit me, and i should get a D80, why? and does it justifies the few hundred more bucks?

:thumbsup: D40 + 18-200VR. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

If I may generalise, 6MP(D40) is good enough as;
1) 80% of photo will be viewing on screen
2) 80% of printed photo will be 4R

The saving by choosing D40 can go into a AIO 18-200VR
1) With one lens, u don't worry abt dust becoz u don't change lens

If u feel guilty abt spending so little $$$, get a Gary Fong Puffer to diffuse the built-in flash ang u're set.

:thumbsup: D40 + 18-200VR. See http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

If I may generalise, 6MP(D40) is good enough as;
1) 80% of photo will be viewing on screen
2) 80% of printed photo will be 4R

If u feel guilty abt spending so little $$$, get a Gary Fong Puffer to diffuse the built-in flash ang u're set.

thanks for the suggestion.. how much will the lens for second hand and first hand cost?

was intending to get a D80~ due to more good and cheap lens to get..

upszzzzzzz

upszzzzzzz????

with a 18-200 it will still be a dust sucker. even you do not change lens. dust will still get in. having a AIO will not give you the result similar to lens like the 17-35 or a prime.

but final decision is up to TS. its his money after all.

but final decision is up to TS. its his money after all.

:D holiday/weekend shoot (1 lens): D40+18-200VR
:think: Advance hobbyist (2-3 lens + external flash): D80, 17-55 f/2.8, 55-200VR, macro len, SB600
:dunno: Photo nut: Everything and anything goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.