Should i get a D40 or D80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the suggestion.. how much will the lens for second hand and first hand cost?
was intending to get a D80~ due to more good and cheap lens to get..

The 18-200mm will cost you about $1250 new, and second-hands are in the region of about $1000-$1100. They are good if you need the range and of course the VR helps.

The D80, on the other hand, gives you more options on getting third-party (read cheaper) lenses. Feature-wise it's also a notch better than D40, though more functions = more complex.

okie.. if i can get D80 body brand new @1200.. is it good price?

okie.. if i can get D80 body brand new @1200.. is it good price?

yup it is rather a good price y not add a 17-50mm 2.8 tamron which is 600 plus?
i think that combo would be kinda good and as of wat u mentioned u may consider a 60mm/2.8 macro since u like doing macro

I would suggest you go to the shop and test out both. I did that and I realise it's a matter of how well the camera fits into one's hand (thus comfort and confidence in using it often) that affects buying decision. D80 fits nicely into my guy friend's hand, while D40x fits in perfectly to my hand, thus I forego the AF motor and bought D40x. Whenever I got tempted to buy another camera body, I got hold of my D40x and take a few shots with the lens and I don't regret it. :p

yup it is rather a good price y not add a 17-50mm 2.8 tamron which is 600 plus?
i think that combo would be kinda good and as of wat u mentioned u may consider a 60mm/2.8 macro since u like doing macro

=D but still will be bring this cam oversea frequently nowadays. so may wan to get something to shoot grp photos and landscapes , scenery etc..

was thinking of the 18-55 taking grp and close up photos 55-200 for landscape and scenery.

sorry.. currently dun hav much cash..

do u guys think the above combi of the two lens is worth while?

or 18-135, the lens that come with the D80 one is better, and rather then getting 55-200 , i get the 70 200 one??

Forgot to mention that MF on D40x is quite shiok... though I wish the viewfinder is slightly larger.

my hand is quite big wor. hahax.. so hoping to get the slightly bigger one.;)

1200 for D80 body is a pretty good price, if you can find! Plus a Tamron 17-50 2.8 would set you back by a little less than 700. Throw in a flash at around 370 and a 200 tripod and you're all set to go! ;)

any more recommendation? =D

hey the d70s is good! the d80 is much better, but i think in terms of body construction the d80 is much worse.

I think dont get the d40x, many of my friends bought that because tempted by the advertisement and think it is good enough to fullfill their needs, but then all of them were like damn, i hate d40/x cant even use af with most lens now. Cause if they wanna get AF-S lens its obviosly more expensive.

hows Tamron 17-50 2.8, if i wan to take scenery and grp photos? cos if i buy this lense.. it will be quite many mths till i hav enough cash to get another lense

or better if i get 18-55 and 55-200?

upzzzzz

just try the kit lense and the 55-200 vr.
sooner or later u will know what is your shooting style and what kinda range u use the most.
for me, i used to have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Nikon 55-200 vr. Both of them worked great. however after a while, i sold them off and get a mid zoom range lense instead. reason? because i found myself shooting in that range most of the time, hence neither that 2 good lenses can gime that range and i dont like to change lenses often.
just think about it ba. camera stuff are not cheap. u need time to feel and figure out what u really want in a lense.

just try the kit lense and the 55-200 vr.
sooner or later u will know what is your shooting style and what kinda range u use the most.
for me, i used to have the Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Nikon 55-200 vr. Both of them worked great. however after a while, i sold them off and get a mid zoom range lense instead. reason? because i found myself shooting in that range most of the time, hence neither that 2 good lenses can gime that range and i dont like to change lenses often.
just think about it ba. camera stuff are not cheap. u need time to feel and figure out what u really want in a lense.

Thanks.. i got what u mean. =D

Sorry to bother you guys with yet again same question.

I just sold of my F31FD, moving on to the world of DSLR.

considering either getting a new D40 or a second hand D80.
Maybe i didn't done my research enough. Pretty new to the DSLR world

I know that D40 doesn't comes with AF motor and no MLU.
meaning alot of older lens if used, need to be MF.

I need You guys help me know, how often will i be buying more lens to play with?
Most of the time i will be shooting scenery, buildings, Flowers, group or individual photos.
Sometimes macro and playing with DOF.
not playing with telephoto and so on.

What type of lens and so on i will most of the time be using if i get a D40?
Does it worth the price? or with the shooting interest of mine, will need to play with different type of lenses. Therefore D40 shouldn't be my choice

If u guys think D40 doesn't suit me, and i should get a D80, why? and does it justifies the few hundred more bucks?

I'm also eying the D80, just checked that new price for kit set is ~S$1600. Nice

how much is a new 18 - 135 lens?

Thinking of upgrading from my D40 to a D80 here. The price of D80 is now very attractive.

Even if a replacement model comes out in a few months, its still a good deal at this price point.

mmm still considering getting 18-55 or 18-135...

den will be matching either with 55-200..

tampon 17-50 will be later part..~

Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 Macro i got mine abt 600 if i nvr rmb wrongly. I have been using it for my event shoots and the Macro is a godsend especially when u need to take closeup shots of things(in ur case macros). The range is just nice for my daily shooting either as a hobbyist or a freelancer.

Using 18-135mm and 55-200mm VR with my D40 now. Will just carry on with these two very reliable lenses when I get the D80.

Status
Not open for further replies.