Should i get 7D or 5DMKii??

Duniqpl

Jan 2, 2009
Hi Experts here... need some advise! I do mostly sports photography nowadays (swimming, basketball etc) and will use the camera for my personal travel trips. I'm thinking of buying 5DMKii however some of my friends recommend 7D after knowing i shoot more sports related events. Is 7D really a better camera compared to 5DMKii for shooting sports? Thanks!

Have you spend some time reading reviews and checking the specs for both cameras? Have you considered the crop factor of the 7D? Have you tried both cameras in the shop / showroom for their ergonomics? Food for thoughts. Since it's your personal hard earned cash you should make educated decisions on your own.

Well i just want to know what's so special with 7D that people would recommend for sports.. Other than the AF points which is better than 5DMKii, i dont see much difference.. or maybe i cant tell the difference since i'm not that Pro... initially i wanted a 5Dmkii because of the Full Frame body. Image quality wise from the reviews it's a mix of opinion so if anyone has used these 2 cameras before, would like to hear from the end users! Thanks...

I use Canon 40D for sports and 5D II for landscape. 40D for APS-C sensor for the reach and the 6.5fps. 5D II for full frame sensor for the wide angle - landscape. There are the dpreview side by side for your review. To replace the shutter 5DII cost 3 times of 40D, running cost for 5DII are higher.

Well i just want to know what's so special with 7D that people would recommend for sports.. Other than the AF points which is better than 5DMKii.

EXACTLY. The 7D focuses a lot faster than the 5D MkII which makes it the better performer for sports or anything fast paced. My friend who shoots concerts ditched his 5D MkII back when the 7D first out, precisely for this reason. Image quality is nice to have but getting the shot you want and need is even more important.

i have used both 5DMII and 7D. The 7D advantage is definitely the focusing speed. If you want to take sport related photos, 7D is better with higher fps and faster focusing. Another advantage is the 1.6 crop factor. It will give you the reach furthur than a FF cam. But again it depends on what sports you are taking... my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
There is quite a big difference between the 7D and the 5dmkii... the most obvious is the crop factor. the 1.6x will save you a lot of money when it comes to focal length..

If shooting sports, you definitely need the crop. And probably a teleconverter as well. but then again I've also seen people using FF cameras to shoot sports as well, so it's your decision how much money you want to spend at the end of the day isn't it? :bsmilie:

you can't burn a 5D mk 2 and get away with it . The peeps at DRTV managed to set a 7D on fire and still it shoots... :p don't try this at home!

Shizuma said:
you can't burn a 5D mk 2 and get away with it . The peeps at DRTV managed to set a 7D on fire and still it shoots... :p don't try this at home!

Yes and when the camera has caught fire I am sure the photographer is more concerned with shooting photographs than making sure he stays alive..

7D or 5DMKii?
Buy the model in between the two numbers.

Eh, why ask us, ask yourself what do you need. If you can't decide then it's not the time for you to upgrade yet

Since you've narrowed it down to two choices (good job at that), I guess it would be fairly easy to pick which camera would benefit you better.

First, know the requirements for shooting sports. Some of which will be (1) good high ISO handling, (2) fast and reliable fps and focus, (3) crop factor, (4) fast file thoroughput, (5) BUDGET--you won't get great sports photos with an inadequate lens. You really have to factor this in, not just the camera body. Mind you, fast lenses mean serious moolah, (6) and a motley assortment of things.

Next, compare these features and zero in on what will be advantageous to you. There will be compromises since no one camera is better than the other, but it'll be a piece of cake since I'm sure you're mature enough to make assessments.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: