caterham7

May 10, 2005
thinking of upgrading from my Canon A70 to a used D30

i understand that D30 is a pretty old cam

reason for choosing D30 is because i don't see a need for 6MP [yet]
just want to leverage on a DSLR's improved AF speed and high ISO usability
plus of course the low price [about S$500 right?]
but how to check condition?
is there a specific time period when certain parts go "pop", e.g. shutter, sensor etc?

thanx for advice rendered...

mabbe you like to take a look at 350D :dunno: :think:

yes. i would recommend a used (there are no more new ones anyway) but not abused 300D. the CMOS sensor rocks.

It's good for a backup body :)

thanx for the 300D recommendations
but i personally don't like the "silver" look...
yes, i know there is a black version, but its its more difficult to find, i think
plus i think the 300D has some limitations that the D30 doesn't have
e.g. selectable AF mode, Flash exposure compensation etc

caterham7 said:
yes, i know there is a black version, but its its more difficult to find, i think

Ok, then the D30 instead.

caterham7 said:
thinking of upgrading from my Canon A70 to a used D30

i understand that D30 is a pretty old cam

reason for choosing D30 is because i don't see a need for 6MP [yet]
just want to leverage on a DSLR's improved AF speed and high ISO usability
plus of course the low price [about S$500 right?]
but how to check condition?
is there a specific time period when certain parts go "pop", e.g. shutter, sensor etc?

thanx for advice rendered...

As far as I know, the 300D is better on both the factors you list as important. D30 AF is dead slow in comparison and high ISO useability is definitely worse than 300D if dpreview's examples are anything to go by. Don't get too hung up on the colour, in any case, I think a used D30 would be much harder to find locally than a used black 300D.

If you really must have a black titanium body, selecteable AF and FEC, how about a 10D?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page23.asp

dkw said:
As far as I know, the 300D is better on both the factors you list as important. D30 AF is dead slow in comparison and high ISO useability is definitely worse than 300D if dpreview's examples are anything to go by. Don't get too hung up on the colour, in any case, I think a used D30 would be much harder to find locally than a used black 300D.

If you really must have a black titanium body, selecteable AF and FEC, how about a 10D?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page23.asp

yep. for the long run, 300D is a much better buy, even tho it might not have some of the features of D30.

however, wat are u going to shoot most often with a DSLR? do the things u want to shoot most often require a DSLR? or, are u learning photography? do take some time to consider why u want a DSLR, cos the spending only just begin with ur first purchase, regardless of wat cam u're buying... :sweat:

d30 is passe now. same as d60

not worth the AF and plasticky colour output even if u can get a used set for $500.

better to get 300d or 350d or a used 10d. these 3 options will occupy you with DSLR photography for a while to come

caterham7 said:

that's why I recommend 350D :thumbsup:

digital not like film.

i am using d60, aside from having 2x the pixels of d30, dont feel much different. search the net and you will find amazing photos taken with d30 camera.

af speed of both d30 and d60 are consider very slow compare to todays cameras. but if you are not into sport photo, than it shouldnt bother you to much.

same goes for the noise, but if you are not into shooting low light too much, it shouldnt bother you too much. than again, even if it does, there are so many free noise reduction software that you can download.

like the old saying goes, it is the photog, not the eqpt.:)

I am still using my D30 after 3-4yrs... sure the AF cant beat newer cameras, but i don't miss shots that often either, especially if most of the time u shoot in good light. You can check out my pics at http://www.kelvinseow.com, they are all taken with D30. Will a 20D enable me to take better pics? i hardly think so.

I wouldn't get a D30 now even if it was 500 bucks. Do yourself a favour and go for a cheap secondhand 300D. The slow AF (especially in dark spots) is one thing, but the colour and white balance straight out of the camera is obsolete by today's standards. You'll need to do a lot of post processing and a have a fine-tuned workflow. Buy a 300D and you'll have a camera that will last for years to come.

kind of 1/2 agree with thoa_rs.

it may be true that you may need less psing for the white balance

but as technology improves by leap and bounce, the 300d will be just as obsolete as d30. then you will "need" to change / upgrade the 300d?

weg said:
I am still using my D30 after 3-4yrs... sure the AF cant beat newer cameras, but i don't miss shots that often either, especially if most of the time u shoot in good light. You can check out my pics at http://www.kelvinseow.com, they are all taken with D30. Will a 20D enable me to take better pics? i hardly think so.

Its not the pictures you CAN get but the pictures you CAN'T. I.e., not better picture quality but more consistent performance over a wider range of ambient conditions. The caveat you mentioned, "in good light" is so true, low light photography is where the 20D would whup the D30.

Edit: Looking through your pics though, you seem to do just fine with low light. Nice pics!

I would recommend either a D50 :sticktong or a 350D. The reason is different from all those above. D30 is no longer support by the latest version of Canon's software. Furthermore, with the pace of DSLR development, don't be surprised that they totally don't support an old DSLR >5 years (for any brand, less pro-level equipment) hardware-wise.

Think about it: hard to get parts and batteries having short life.

Status
Not open for further replies.