Should i Change??

Ericang

Jul 7, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
Thinking of changing my D90 to a M43 camera.
Should i ?

Beside Panasonic coming with with constant aperture F2.8 lens, any other maker has such as well ?

What M43 camera is good with a reasonably good price tag?

Should i ?

Beside Panasonic coming with with constant aperture F2.8 lens, any other maker has such as well ?

What do you find lacking in your D90 that you wanted to change to a m4/3 camera.

And up till now, there are only 2 brands of M4/3 cameras - Olympus and Panasonic. There are more brands to choose from if you are looking at mirrorless interchangeable lens system on the other hand - Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Samsung, Panasonic, Fujifilm and Olympus.

If you are only looking to m4/3, then do note that Olympus and Panasonic both could share lenses because they have the same mount. So Panasonic's constant aperture lens can be mounted on Olympus and retained all AF capability.

One more thing... what is a reasonably good price tag? S$10k, S$8k, S$1k or lesser? or more? I find a price tag of around 2k pretty okay, depending on what was in the package, not sure about you.

Should i ?

The answer will all depend on you. If there are factors that M43 is attracting you (IDK, maybe weight and size) and there are things you are willing to forgo what D90 (e.g. Better Grip ... ..) can provide but a M43 can't, then go for it.

I like to bring my camera around where i go and travel.
i enjoy doing some photoshoot as well.
D90 i find it a little bit bulky esp when attached with a SB900 flash and 17-55 lens.

I thought of selling away my D90, to fund a M43.

Size is more and more of my concern now

other then M43, what other kind brand and make do you guy recommend for my kind of usage?

Last edited:
I like to bring my camera around where i go and travel.
i enjoy doing some photoshoot as well.
D90 i find it a little bit bulky esp when attached with a SB900 flash and 17-55 lens.

I thought of selling away my D90, to fund a M43.

Size is more and more of my concern now

other then M43, what other kind brand and make do you guy recommend for my kind of usage?

Smaller sized camera...

Nikon V1/J1 - it is a Nikon camera that you should have lots of experience in. And with the correct adapter, you can mount your Nikon lenses without losing AF capability... plus this two are among the smallest interchangeable lens camera you can find in the market.

Pentax Q - the smallest. And also the smallest sized sensor too. IQ is decent, but don't expect DSLR quality.

Pentax K-01 - large APS-C sensor (same or similar sensor used in the K-5), excellent image quality, quite small and light.

Olympus OM-D - currently one of the best m4/3 camera around, weather seal body, excellent image quality, fastest AF speed.

Olympus EP3/EPL3/EPM1 - all pretty small, and revolve around the same 12MP sensor that is pretty alright, but not excellent.

Panasonic GX1 - latest offering until the G5 was shipped. Pretty good IQ and pretty small too.

Panasonic G3/GH2 - great system but not exactly very small in size.

Sony NEX system- NEX 5n and the latest Nex 7, both have excellent APS-C sensor and have excellent IQ.

Fujifilm X-pro1 - In my opinion, it had the best IQ among the mirrorless... and I love the look of this camera... however AF has nothing to boast about... and to me that is a deal breaker.

Samsung NX20 - Latest offering by Samsung, do not have any experience with the Samsung but online reviews are pretty positive.

Of the above mentioned, X-Pro1, NEX-7 and OM-D costed the most, the rest had 1k to slightly (or alot) lesser than 1k (body only), EPM1 and EPL3 do not come in body only and you would have to get it together with a lens (I think Nikon's V1 and J1 too).

Other than the above choice, do take a long hard look at the following compact camera -

1) Canon G1X
2) Sony RX100

the idea of retaining my current lens is a good one. can save on buying additional lens.
But then how does this fair with comparison with the other on the scale of 1 to 10, being 1 the lousiest.
Is it worth getting this V1 or J1 ?

the idea of retaining my current lens is a good one. can save on buying additional lens.
But then how does this fair with comparison with the other on the scale of 1 to 10, being 1 the lousiest.
Is it worth getting this V1 or J1 ?

I wouldn't know if it was worth getting the V1 or J1, that is up to you. For me, I find it pretty okay. Depending on what lens you have now, try imaging if you want to put a massive Nikkor lens on a small body like the V1 (very small indeed). IQ is very good though.

Just a rough idea of how a V1 or J1 would look like if you put a current Nikkor lens on it.

7045083459_79266620b7_z.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg
can you see the camera.

Last edited:
i have a 7D and just got the OMD.

i feel that both are different beasts to begin with, plus with the lenses i have, both should see different uses.

got the OMD due to its rather compact size(with reference to DSLR), lenses are olympus 12-50 and panasonic 20/f1.7.

when i am lazy and not want to lug the 7D around, i will choose the OMD. and i already have plans to make OMD as a prime system and the 7D will remain my zoom workhorse(10-22 + 17-55 + 70-200L).

7D + 10-22 is my usual landscape setup, the 70-200L is for outdoor portrait use and the 17-55 for indoor stuffs.

i already have invest in filters for the 10-22 so naturally whenever i want to shoot landscapes, i will reach for the 7D. and the fact that panasonic 7-14 can't mount filters, i also don't want to get it for OMD.

i have KIV the olympus 12/f2 for OMD, such beautiful lens man. the pany 20 i have is great for walkabouts, sharp at wide open, AF is not too bad. and now i can use the 12-50 for some general macro too.

but one thing i have to say is, the high ISO performance of OMD is better than my 7D, not sure if the OMD will eventually dethrone its bigger brother, haha. :confused:

...and ALL brands have constant f/2.8 lenses.... That's pretty common actually.

maybe i really din research well ....
Zoom lenses also have constant f/2.8 ?

Last edited:
Ericang said:

If only prime lenses have f2.8 would it still be called CONSTANT f2.8?

And you have a 17-55mm, why are you asking if zoom lenses have constant f2.8?

Last edited:
Even third party zoom lenses have it: Tamron, Sigma, Tokina .. Better grab some knowledge before you grab the next camera .. might save some money and disappointments.

If only prime lenses have f2.8 would it still be called CONSTANT f2.8?

And you have a 17-55mm, why are you asking if zoom lenses have constant f2.8?

i am asking if mirrorless camera lenses have 2.8 zoom lenses beside Panasonic

i am asking if mirrorless camera lenses have 2.8 zoom lenses beside Panasonic

You know, 5-10 minutes doing a little searching online would answer this already.

Honestly, if you are so "dunno anything" about other camera systems, DO NOT SWITCH. you will just lose money since you don't know what you're doing.

Should i ?

U may consider to rent a m4/3 body and some lens. If this system can make you take more photo and enjoy the light weight. U can say goodbye to dslr.
For me a a camera system is the one i want to bring out often and feel no burden.

There are lots of cheap m4/3 bodies out there and some great fixed lens with f2 & below.. For zoom on f2.8, it is not common for m4/3 which I believe due to the design constraints. Have a fixed aperture f2.8 or brighter aperture on a zoom lens and to ensure the phyical size of the lens is small is v challenging. If u need a f2.8 zoom lens more, just keep your nikon system. they have so much such lens to choose from.

Last edited:
Perhaps TS can state your budget first?