Should i Change my Canon 500D to a Nikon D7000

9zero

Oct 18, 2010
Okay photographers, i would like to know your opinion. I'm considering to sell my Canon 500D and get a Nikon D7000 with 18-105mm kit lens or keep my Canon 500D and instead get a good Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens.

I would really like to know some expert advise. Is my average and reasonable 500D paired with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L the ingredient that will get me good photos ? or will the slightly better Nikon D7000 with an average 18-105mm kit lens going to get me better photos?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens.jpg

Often, the problem doesn't lie with the camera, but the photographer, if that's what you're asking. Save your money.

i would suggest don't just jump ship. since you've already using canon, save that money and invest in better lens. is just like one of this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4
if you got good body but a crappy lens, then its probably a waste. so its better that you invest on lens. stick to your camera. 500D is a wonderful cam. :)

Often, the problem doesn't lie with the camera, but the photographer, if that's what you're asking. Save your money.

agreed
it's not the camera that defines the picture, but the photographer that defines it.
save ur money on upgrading, and upgrade ur skillset instead

and lastly, if you are getting the fullframe lens (24-105mm f4), in the future you might just wanna upgrade to a fullframe body like the 5D. its worth it. it will maximise the full view of your focal length :D hehe

I forgot to add, if there's nothing optically wrong with your kit lens, don't splash the cash on a 24-105. It's not going to drastically improve your photos if you can't maximise your camera+kit lens' potential anyway.

one part of me says... just change why think so much....:devil:
a pragmatic side says when canon come up with something better, are you going dump D7000? There will be no end to it.

PS. It will be good for both canon and nikon BnS though.:sweatsm:

if you got good body but a crappy lens, then its probably a waste. so its better that you invest on lens. stick to your camera. 500D is a wonderful cam. :)

I don't think many lenses out there can be considered "crappy" though. If you think kit lenses are crappy, I doubt it. They're pretty decent.

both sides are good. buying a 24-105 f4 and switch to d7k with 18-105.
But, is 24 wide enough for you? if its enough, by all means. :dunno:

I don't think many lenses out there can be considered "crappy" though. If you think kit lenses are crappy, I doubt it. They're pretty decent.

true enough. for a casual shooter that doesn't demand much from its camera, kit lenses like the 18-55 would be enough. but if i'm talking bout higher end kit lenses such as the 17-85 or the 15-85, then that would be considered good. :)

I would really like to know some expert advise. Is my average and reasonable 500D paired with Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L the ingredient that will get me good photos ? or will the slightly better Nikon D7000 with an average 18-105mm kit lens going to get me better photos?
Neither is a Sony or Pentax camera or any other specific brand / model / lens type necessary. What it needs is a camera (all current entry level cameras are sufficient), a kit lens and a decent amount of skills. The latter one cannot be purchased, you will need to invest time. You may want to search for the endless threads here about "is it the equipment or the photographer?" - you have just added another one :)

On your question whether equipment will give you good photos?...:sweat:
Key for improvement?? --> SSS -> See Shoot and Share :)
and more PPP - Patience, Perseverance(to learn) and maintaining the Passion are some key important things in our Photography hobby :)
Equipment will become secondary where when you outgrown it then you can justify that you can probably move on....so shoot more;)
I have used my kit lenses(18-70mm &75-300mm) extensively and I guess I have decent shots from those...

Last edited:
first off, am a nikon user... but let me tell you this, you've already invested in the canon system, and if it served you good, then just stick to it and upgrade your lens arsenal instead!

why the sudden jump ship? is it because the reviews are good? do you think getting the D7000 would make you a better photographer/hobbyist?

actually, a camera needs a good photographer to use it and compose superb pictures.

my suggestion is for you to improve your skills, and stick with your current system... upgrade your lenses if need be, camera bodies come and go, but a great lens will always be there!

always remember, the best camera is the one that's in your hand... yes, the one you are using right now!

hope this helps!;)

Hi Friend
There is no comparison in between Canon 24-105 L and Nikon 18-105 Kit lens, may be Nikon D 7000 is better than 500D but not with 18-105 Kit lens. Remember that 24mm is not 24mm in your 500D, better you buy a 17-55 Canon lens. If you have fascination for 7000, first sell your Canon and buy a Nikon 7000 body with a Nikon 16-85 VR lens.

Thanks
alok:thumbsup:

No. You will not get better pictures no matter what you upgrade, because the missing ingredient is your skill. Stop blaming equipment or trying to use it as a crutch. Go and learn how to shoot.

You will only end up spreading your $$ resources and unable to focus on getting the good stuff for either.(Think D7k can already buy you a 135/2).
Focus on skill and take more photos. Then consider what else to buy when it really limits you.
A new camera will not give better photos.

Okay photographers, i would like to know your opinion. I'm considering to sell my Canon 500D and get a Nikon D7000 with 18-105mm kit lens or keep my Canon 500D and instead get a good Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens.

Canon-EF-24-105mm-f-4-L-IS-USM-Lens.jpg

Keep the Canon 500D and go ahead to get the Nikon D7000 and Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L. Use them everyday for a few months to decide which system is better for you.

You can upgrade to the 1Dsm3 or D3s, and still they will not get you better photos.

You see, you have to shoot better to get better photos. The camera cannot do it for you. ;)

Dont waste time.....

More expensive equipment is not going to save you......... many good photogs here kick butt with a humble $500 point and shoot camera.....

But then its your money..... you go through the process of switching equipment until you finally find something that you are happy with.......... the 2nd hand markets need to maintain the flow of newbie-lightly-used equipment to keep it alive and active

p/s even in hi-fi or car forum .... you can throw money to improve the hardware but if you dont tune or train yourself properly..... its money down the drain

Last edited:

the key ingredient of making good photo is the brain of the photographer, and without it, there is no good photo.
whatever camera system no matter how awesome all don't have brain in it, you need to use your own.