Should I change camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti-Social

Jan 1, 2007
I have a Olympus E-500 currently and im thinking of maybe changing to a another brand which has considerbally lesser noise. Which would you recommend

1. Nikon D40 (I know there are little buttons but if iso noise is incredibally low i dont mind)

2. Nikkon D70

3. Canon 20D

4. Keep current camera cause it is better

5.Konica Dynax 5D

I don't like camera's older than 2005 cause the sensor chip cannot pick up good colours and pictures looks washed out.

Thks all ;)

How about the E-510? It has considerably lesser noise. :) With IS as well.

Why not keep your current camera and use software like neat image and noise ninja to solve your problems?

Using a lower ISO and setting the picture size to the max helps as well.

Of the lot you put in, I'd go for the 20D.

I think if you have already invested in 4/3 lenses then the e-510 is the way to go... else i'd choose the 20d

hmm...

with the exception of the D40, the rest are all 2005 cameras. any budget constraints? a 2nd hand 20D or D70 wil probably cost you around the same as a new budget dslr.

you should consider the current crop of budget dslrs like the D40x, 400D, E510 which all have good noise and high iso performance.

if noise is really a concern, then you should probably look at the canon cameras or go for the software approach. changing systems can be costly, so take your time to consider your needs.

I have a Olympus E-500 currently and im thinking of maybe changing to a another brand which has considerbally lesser noise. Which would you recommend

1. Nikon D40 (I know there are little buttons but if iso noise is incredibally low i dont mind)

2. Nikkon D70

3. Canon 20D

5.Konica Dynax 5D

I don't like camera's older than 2005 cause the sensor chip cannot pick up good colours and pictures looks washed out.

Thks all ;)
You get BBB virus? I don't see any link betwen any of your 5 choices other than #4, especially if you have bought any other lenses than your kit lens. Waste money leh, to change all system.

Noise? In general, newer DSLRs tend to have less noise, but you are selecting generally older models, other than the D40? :dunno:

If I were you, and if I found noise a serious problem, I'd either get the E410 or E510. Oly is a decent brand what.

Agree. If you had already invested in lenses, then it's only logical to stick with the Oly camp & use the softwares in the market to remove the noise. Otherwise, just upgrade to the E-510 lor.

Do you have photoshop? You can set up an action to reduce noise and batch process your photos..... if you look at the noise charts on dpreview for the d40, d40x and d80 you will see a sudden reduction in noise when it reaches iso 800 or there abouts... that's when the in camera noise reduction kicks in... since these cameras uses software to reduce noise I don't see why you can't keep your current body and do the same....

Wow thks for the response. I only have the kit lens with the camera so add that in as a factor.
The e-510 im not so sure i haven't checked it out yet but the 20d seems like a very popular choice, so the konica and d40 is a nono. The best options so far are

1. Keep camera use noise reduction software (Tried noise ninja but blurs picture can the blur be compared to the noise reduction software built in some cameras?)

2. 20D (I still very scared of the colour not vibrant le)

3. E-510 (expensive option le:sweat:)

Thks for the response so far keep going :lovegrin:

edit: Ive seen 10D picture and it looks so washed out i scared to touch it, even taken in raw, compared to current cameras so got some phobia of old cameras around 2003 and 2004

Go try the E510 and 20D for yourself. See if you like either of them. :)

Or else stick to E500

Wow thks for the response. I only have the kit lens with the camera so add that in as a factor.
The e-510 im not so sure i haven't checked it out yet but the 20d seems like a very popular choice, so the konica and d40 is a nono. The best options so far are

1. Keep camera use noise reduction software (Tried noise ninja but blurs picture can the blur be compared to the noise reduction software built in some cameras?)

2. 20D (I still very scared of the colour not vibrant le)

3. E-510 (expensive option le:sweat:)

Thks for the response so far keep going :lovegrin:

1. You can vary the intensity, if you want to reduce more noise then you will lose more detail as well... i think some nikon users actually turn off the in camera noise reduction and use noise ninja instead.... best is that it comes in photoshop plugin as well...

2. You have to adjust the saturation setting in camera... canon colors tend to be less saturated at it's default setting... like that vibrant or not har? taken with 350d resize only...
IMG_5086.jpg

3. This one is really up to you whether you want to stay with olympus or try something else

2. Nikkon D70

3. Canon 20D

5.Konica Dynax 5D

Thks all ;)

how about d80 body itself about 1.5-1.6k with a 18-200mm vr lens about 1.2k?

how about d80 body itself about 1.5-1.6k with a 18-200mm vr lens about 1.2k?

Too much, in total around 2k plus. Looking more to 2nd hand cameras like 20d all these stuff. Thks :)

now abit tempted to go 20d but its expensive and im not sure if the noise is good anot. If it is same as the e-500 than must as well use the noise reduction software. e-510 seems like the last option cause i don't think i can afford something that much. How much do you think a 20D is worth with kit lens and without kit lens? There is no megapixel difference between the 20d and the e-500 and the e-500 came out at a later date so if the iso does not improve then i would waste cash. What do you think?

Seems more like BBB virus. LOL!

I would rather you then stick with E500. Don't need waste $$ get something else.

Cause D40 is a beginner model for nikon, the price difference is almost the same as the E-500 which is not the beginner model for olympus. So between the nikon and the e-500 money is not an issue. What i want is quality photos. I admit the e-500 is really great outdoors but i need to higher the iso indoors which would pose a serious problem to me. And noise ninja non trail needs $$ by the way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.