Should I buy win 7 in Malaysia?

victorlee10

Feb 4, 2008
I wanted to get a win 7 boxed version since I foresee myself upgrading PCs every so often but our local shops are selling it for $325. I checked out the prices in Malaysia and the boxed version was only selling for RM399. It just seems to me that there is a very big loophole here since something as portable as software can easily moved crossed borders. I'm not sure if microsoft imposes some restrictions like if software is bought in country A you can't use it in country B.

Can anyone help before I go down to JB to buy?

I never heard about regional license.. I dont foreseen any problem if you bought from JB.. unless JB selling pirated Win 7 for RM399

Mine is OEM, bought in KL, installed on my laptop here in SG. No problems.

I never heard about regional license.. I dont foreseen any problem if you bought from JB.. unless JB selling pirated Win 7 for RM399

Mine is OEM, bought in KL, installed on my laptop here in SG. No problems.

Thanks, guess it should be ok that I buy it there then...... and I just spotted a business opportunity ;)

Thanks, guess it should be ok that I buy it there then...... and I just spotted a business opportunity ;)

I need to clarify my statement: I bought in KL, installed on my laptop in KL, then brought my laptop and installation DVD (no box) to SG.

According to Microsoft website, their software (including Windows 7) does have geographic restrictions. Kindly refer HERE.

The packaging on the set sold in M'sia seem to indicate that it should be "Activated in South East Asia excluding Singapore".

You might have trouble activating the OS if you install it in Singapore.

Cheers,
Andrew

According to Microsoft website, their software (including Windows 7) does have geographic restrictions. Kindly refer HERE.

The packaging on the set sold in M'sia seem to indicate that it should be "Activated in South East Asia excluding Singapore".

Cheers,
Andrew

Thanks for telling me, I wouldn't have found that website. Seems like I have to buy in Singapore then.

Cheers,
Andrew

This part is true... i bought Win7 in JB just thinking it's really cheaper... after installation cannot activate via internet (they track IP address here)... end up take the laptop go out JB drink tea and connect to the cafe's wifi to activate...

if desktop... good luck... :confused:

Cheers,
Andrew

if SGD325, the same $ can get the sw at RM399 plus a couple of days' stay in Malaysia as holiday (plus installation + activation). Can still be attractive to some :p

You can download Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 90-day Trial directly from the official microsoft.com website.

Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)

I think with a desktop it is much more difficult for me to bring to JB everytime I want to activate. Infact the main reason I plan to get the boxed version is because I might be upgrading often. Just don't think the savings are worth it given the trouble.