Should I buy this Kenko filter online for my 17-50 tamron non-vc?

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
Hi, should I buy this kenko filter for my 17-50mm tamron? Will it fit?

It's 67mm.. It should fit if your lens is 67mm as well.

The filter wrote "Kenko 67mm Pro1 Digital Protector (W) Filter 67 Pro 1 D". Why got (W) on it? I just need a clear piece of plastic to protect the glass.

The filter wrote "Kenko 67mm Pro1 Digital Protector (W) Filter 67 Pro 1 D". Why got (W) on it? I just need a clear piece of plastic to protect the glass.

Actually I believe most filters be it kenko, hoya, etc uses glasses for their filter instead of plastic. Glass is better than plastic in terms of light penetration and stuff.

If you just want a clear piece of plastic, just go to any hardware shop buy a piece of acrylic sheet, cut to size and glue it to your lens.

maisatomai said:

W means wide, meaning the ring is slim to cater for wide angle lens use.

Btw, the same filter is available locally for around the same price.

Last edited:
Sorry i found a seemingly better one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/B-W-Ultravio...era_Filters&hash=item56442dec39#ht_2718wt_923

Just wondering is it the basic normal b&w filter? Why they put haze and not clear?

http://photofilter.com/B+W/bw_filters.htm

Ultraviolet light, which manifests itself in photographs as reduced clarity and the appearance of haze, is blocked by the UV 010. Ultraviolet light is invisible to the eye and is strong in mountainous and coastal areas with very clear air. This makes the colorless UV 010 an indispensable camera filter because it requires no exposure compensation. It is recommended as an ideal filter to be kept permanently on the lens to protect the front element.

It was not haze or not clear. There really is no use for a filter to do that... explanation for the haze part was given above.

Why buy online when you can get local? Sure it might be cheaper, but is it worth the time and risk of the glass breaks during transactions?

The 17-50mm has a nice lens hood. Why putting something in front of your lens that does not improve anything?