Should I buy the Nikon D60?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misakrauna

Oct 25, 2008
Hi Everyone, I'm rather a newcomer at digital SLRS.

I am planning to go for a long holiday in Europe in December. The places I'm going to are scenic and historical and I thought my pocket Sony Cybershot won't do justice to the places that I'm going. I'm planning to get the Nikon D60 but is wondering whether the Nikon D60 basic kit with lens Nikkor 18mm-55mm (costing currently at S$988) is enough for my holidays. I was reading that having a Nikkor 18mm-200mm will do well for my trip but it's just too expensive at S$1200. Should I invest on the basic kit plus the 18mm-200mm lens.

Hope you guys can give me your opinions and suggestions.

Thank you.

MissakRauna

The nikon kit should be fine. If u need to shoot telephoto and don't mind bring around a large lens, 18-200 VR is a good lens.

Whether or not u shld buy something, i don't think anyone here can decide how u will spend your $. You shld be the one deciding.

D60 is (in my opinion) a good camera for travelling. Small and light. But as for the choices of lens, its really personal, depends on how u shoot.

Have fun! ;)

Last edited:
Wow so expensive $988, try google alan photo and view their promo of this month under Nikon. For $988 you can get better cam for example Canon 450D.

How about the D60 Kit with the 55-200mm lens? This will be a much cheaper option but the draw back is you have to switch lens. I think Alan Photo having a promo with dual lens (18-55 and 55-200, both VR), unless I read wrongly.

I own a D60 for about 7+ months now. Not bad for shooting, but I'm using a Sigma 18-200mm lens, cheaper option as compared to Nikon. As for quality, I can't give you an appropriate opinion.

You can view some of my pics at http://www.geocities.com/th_studio1976

Alan photo should offer u a better price, though one of the sales person is abit unfriendly (fun** branch). I bought my D60 there.

i brought my D60 dual lens kit(18-55, 55-200) to cambodia and had a great time at angkor wat. Sure its kinda troublesome switching kits on the move but after a while you will get used to it and it does pay off especially in places when you can see but cant go near. :)

how about D60 body-only purchase and combine with 18-105 VR(kit lens of D90) which is being sold around 400S$ mint in B&S.
however if u don't mind carrying 2 lenses in your trip, 18-55VR & 55-200VR should be fine.
cheers.

Hi Everyone, I'm rather a newcomer at digital SLRS.

I am planning to go for a long holiday in Europe in December. The places I'm going to are scenic and historical and I thought my pocket Sony Cybershot won't do justice to the places that I'm going. I'm planning to get the Nikon D60 but is wondering whether the Nikon D60 basic kit with lens Nikkor 18mm-55mm (costing currently at S$988) is enough for my holidays. I was reading that having a Nikkor 18mm-200mm will do well for my trip but it's just too expensive at S$1200. Should I invest on the basic kit plus the 18mm-200mm lens.

Hope you guys can give me your opinions and suggestions.

Thank you.

MissakRauna
do you mind rental units? if you are not sure on buying it then give a rental a go first and try. In fact if you are okay can actually bring the rental unit with you.

Otherwise what i would recommend is try looking for 2nd hand either D60 + kit lens or 400D + kit lens for around $500 to $600-ish depending on warranty and status + package.

depending on usage, 18-55 is good for an all rounder if you need zoom. The inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 if you need extra sharpness and shooting at night but no zoom. You might also want to get a wide angle but it most likely will destroy your budget so another option is to rent one.

Hey Every1,

Thanks for the quick response. Will consider all your feedback and making a decision soon. Thanks!

Missakrauna

cheers to your new cam :cheers:
and welcome to the world of joy:thumbsup:

18-200 VR itself already $900?
D60 Kit 850 already 1750. JUst get the D90 kit and a flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.