should i buy Sony A330 or Canon 1000d

cure75

Feb 22, 2010
hi expert pls help which 1 should i buy ?
cause of my shaky hand hard to decide
Sony come with stabilisers in the body canon stabiliser came with lens
so wat the different between both of them

another issues are sony lens is cheaper then canon
and IS lens for canon only come with those high end lens am i right
pls advise newbie here first time trying to use DSLR

i oni need a entry level cam thanks alot :)
sorry for my poor english too

Hello...welcome.

In my opinion, both are good cameras. I would suggest that you try the cameras in the shops to see which you prefer, cos you are the one using the cam eventually.

Lenses wise, they are about the same price. No brand is stupid enough to kill themselves by pricing their lenses more than their competitors. However, some lenses may be slightly more expensive, some may be slightly cheaper and others may be about the same.

Good thing about Sony is that it has a in-body stabilier which gives you image stabilising regardless of the lenses that you mount on the body. Where else can you get a 20mm, 24mm, 35mm or 50mm lens with stabiliser? Not to mention the old manual focus lenses too. Of course most people would argue that normally these prime lenses will have large apertures so IS is not required. But it will surely be handy in low light situations or when you have shaky hands like mine. :embrass:

The superior live view is also another good feature in the Sony. Besides Sony is the only camera now that enjoys full Auto focus on the famous Carl Zeiss lenses. Of course these lenses doesn't come cheap as they are the top of the line lenses in Sony, just like the L lenses from Canon. Besides the CZ lenses, Sony also has another premium line of top quality lenses which are known as G lenses.

Not true that IS is only available in high end Canon lenses as their kit lens also has IS build in.

Hope you will get your camera soon. :)

As an entry level camera, have you also considered the Pentax Kx?

I can't say much about the Sony, but the Canon has kit lenses with Image Stabilizers - the 18-55, 55-250, 18-200. The 1000D was released in June 08, where as the A330 was released in May 09. Definitely the A330 would have more features stuffed into it due to difference in release dates.

The Sony A330 has a tiltable LCD screen, good for shooting at above-head and ground shots without having to go down.

Of course, when compared to Sony, which has in-built stabilizer in the bodies, price comparison would ensure Sony win hands down, as Sony's lenses don't need to have all the circuitry needed to do image/optical stabilizer.

If comparing only the 2 based on features and functions alone, Sony would appear to be an outright winner.

But my first recommendation still stands - the Pentax Kx, worth having a look at. Hope I have not further confused you. Hope it lets you know of other choices you can make.

Cheers.

thanks galdor for ur advise
i dun understand this sentence (Where else can you get a 20mm, 24mm, 35mm or 50mm lens with stabiliser? Not to mention the old manual focus lenses too. ) sorry abt that i'm really new

is it that now this lens dun come with stabiliser ?
:) thanks alot i will try to get it asap

thanks dingaroo for ue advise too :)

for a start, it is better to get a camera that most of your friends are using
so you can share around the equipment unless your frens are those that are super selfish then get one that you like.

its better if you go down to try the cameras out before getting them and at the same time you can feel which one you prefer.

it is not the equipment that take good pictures but is the person behind it :D ~

thanks galdor for ur advise
i dun understand this sentence (Where else can you get a 20mm, 24mm, 35mm or 50mm lens with stabiliser? Not to mention the old manual focus lenses too. ) sorry abt that i'm really new

is it that now this lens dun come with stabiliser ?
:) thanks alot i will try to get it asap

Most lenses do not come with image stabiliser, especially the shorter focal ranges (like those I've mentioned earlier). For longer ones, some manufacturers will build them into the lenses. Of course the older ones will not have that too. The most common range which has build in image stabiliser would be the 70-200mm or 75-300mm/400mm range. For old manual focus lenses, there is no image stabilser on the lenses at all.

Hope you understand better now. ;)

for a start, it is better to get a camera that most of your friends are using
so you can share around the equipment unless your frens are those that are super selfish then get one that you like.

its better if you go down to try the cameras out before getting them and at the same time you can feel which one you prefer.

it is not the equipment that take good pictures but is the person behind it :D ~

this is quite a wrong assumption most of the time. i wouldnt share my expensive lens with new beginner without my supervision. by expensive lens, i refer to anything beyond 1k. of course i wont bother asking much if a good friend with relative sufficient experience wanna borrow my flash, etc. but noob? i think i will only lend out cheapo prime lens. even then i will think twice...cos i use them so often. and when you borrow someone else expensive lens...make sure you can pay them back or replace them if you happen to wreak/lose them.

anyway i surely wont rec canon.. 1000d is such old technology. its 2010. it came out 2008. go for pentax. its the most value for $ entry level camera.

ya now i do thanks thanks
hope i learn more from you in the future thanks thanks

A few things that you can do...
1. Google these cameras and you'd probably get to see heaps of equipment reviews of these cameras.
2. Go to a good reputable camera shop and ask. Try holding them and see which is more comfy for you.
3. Look at each camera's menu screens and see if you can navigate easily

there are some camera that will not be comfortable in your hand, so better try it yourself, prices and features on sony and canon will exceed on other side and will compromise on the other considerations....so there some features that sony will exceed and there are some features that canon will out throw sony.

so it is up to you. ;)

But personally, i'd rather choose Sony.

thanks guys for all the advise i will slowly slowly think abt all the factor
thanks

this is quite a wrong assumption most of the time. i wouldnt share my expensive lens with new beginner without my supervision. by expensive lens, i refer to anything beyond 1k. of course i wont bother asking much if a good friend with relative sufficient experience wanna borrow my flash, etc. but noob? i think i will only lend out cheapo prime lens. even then i will think twice...cos i use them so often. and when you borrow someone else expensive lens...make sure you can pay them back or replace them if you happen to wreak/lose them.

anyway i surely wont rec canon.. 1000d is such old technology. its 2010. it came out 2008. go for pentax. its the most value for $ entry level camera.

what i am talking about lending frens is when they are by your side.
and let them try it out.
and not by letting them use without your supervision.

i did ask around as the shop recomend me sony a330 cause it value for money too
as now sony cam build by minolta which is also a great manufacturer for cam
that why really abit headache for me hahahahahhaha
sorry to all really new to dslr

u have budget considerations? A330 as per my fren, the grip isn't that ok. but if u have small hands, it's fine...
pentax also is good,
better look around shops with testing model displays or with some friends borrow there DSLR and try to see which is suitable for you....;)

u have budget considerations? A330 as per my fren, the grip isn't that ok. but if u have small hands, it's fine...
pentax also is good,
better look around shops with testing model displays or with some friends borrow there DSLR and try to see which is suitable for you....;)

Agree with you. I'm not too happy with the grip of the A230, A330, A380 also. If you can top up a bit more, get the A550 instead.

i did ask around as the shop recomend me sony a330 cause it value for money too
as now sony cam build by minolta which is also a great manufacturer for cam
that why really abit headache for me hahahahahhaha
sorry to all really new to dslr

if the shop have stock...they will sure recommend it. i know john 3:16 rec sony more than pentax. take with a pinch of salt whatever shop owner tells u.

go read up reviews of all the entry level camera and then finally decide.

some of the possible cameras are
nikon d3000/d5000
sony 1000d/450d/500d
pentax k-x
oly e620 (or is it 520) not familiar with oly
sony a330

and most importantly...check out the price guide, ask for a an e-quote from shops before you go down.

oki thanks for all of you
i will take you guys advise seriously
thanks for all the help
time for me to go to work
enjoy ur day guys

oki thanks for all of you
i will take you guys advise seriously
thanks for all the help
time for me to go to work
enjoy ur day guys

no worries. come back more often. post up your photos and share, ya?

Go check out the Pentax k-x. In-body staiblization WILL save you loads of money.
eg. Nikon System
Tamron 17-50 VC = $900
Nikon 70-200 VR = $3000

Now, Pentax System
Tamron 17-50 = $600
Sigma 70-200 = $1300
(no need to pay extra for in-lens stabilization, cos' got in-body stabilization)

To many, cost alone is enough to be a brick wall in the pursuit of the zoom f/2.8 lenses :D
This factor alone is enough to make me want to switch systems, despite already owning 5 Nikon lenses.

Regards,
gibss.