Should I buy extended warranty for my Lumix FZ18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
top up 70+ for 2 yrs extended (total 3 yrs)
top up 120 for 4 yrs extended (total 5yrs)

I supposed that the extended warranty is from Harvey Norman or Best Denki kind of shops. Well, it's good to have. At least some years down the road if the cam is no longer working properly and the spare parts cannot be found, you can chose another cam and given the vast improvement in technology, I would think that it'll be worth it.

To the contrary, I don't think it is worth it. Look at the prices for used cameras today and you will realize how much they have dropped and even if you were to sell your camera in a good condition, it is not going to fetch you anything near to what you paid for it.

I have a little more faith in things I buy and despite the usual one year's warranty, I usually use them way beyond this period and for most of the time, they really give me trouble free operation for many good years. Ask yourself how often is it that things that you had bought broke down within one year or for that matter three years after the date of purchase. I am an optimist.

When my camera breaks down, I won't bother to repair it as I will take this opportunity to buy a new one as I am likely to get a new one anyway even if the camera were still working.

last time my ixus 30 spoilt after 3yrs, which means $500 gone just like tat.

If we bought warranty and spoilt, can send in for repair for free.
And if no more parts due to obsolete, they will replace a brand new camera of the same price, which means better technology.

Btw, electronics very hard to say can die just like tat, esp those with moving parts like motor.

I wonder how many ppl here bought extended warranty and for how long?

last time my ixus 30 spoilt after 3yrs, which means $500 gone just like tat.

If we bought warranty and spoilt, can send in for repair for free.
And if no more parts due to obsolete, they will replace a brand new camera of the same price, which means better technology.

Btw, electronics very hard to say can die just like tat, esp those with moving parts like motor.

I wonder how many ppl here bought extended warranty and for how long?

Yup, that's what i was trying to say. Anyway, if I were to buy stuff from HN or BD where they offer extended warranty, i will normally get it for a peace of mind. Even my lappy has extended warranty.

now i am thinking which extended wty i should get.... 2yrs or 4yrs?

After 1 year, sell your camera while it still has some value, then get a new one.

Unlike film cameras that you can use for 10-15 years and beyond, digicams get obsolete very quickly. The depreciation rate is so steep that at the end of the 3rd year, it becomes so low in value that it's not worth the amount that you paid for the extended warranty.

At the rate they churn out point and shoot cameras, you'd probably end up selling your camera after a year or so to get the new model. So personally, I won't get an extended warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.