should i buy D60/450d please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic7762

Dec 10, 2008
Hi i am a newbie in dslr. I just went audio house and the sales person recommend me D60 over 450D. Is it true that D60 produce sharper and the colours is brighter in term of pictures taken? They offer me a D60 body with sigma dc 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 lens at the price of $1288. Is it a good buy?

Please help Bro.

Thanks

Errm, pls correct me if i'm wrong, but i think D60 require lense with motor build in them. So if you are willing to spend a little extra on lense to purchase those with motor in them i think you will be fine. however if you are also good with MF then should not be a prob. On the other had 450D is using SD card as their memory source. And the cons of SD card is that its suspectable to memory lost.

audio house lets u test on the spot so you can compare ;)

sharper pictures and brighter colors depends on the user perception of sharpness and color brightness.

Other then Nikon and Canon might want to look at what other brands like Fujifilm, Pentax and Olympus as well as Sony has to offer....you might just be surprised how much bang for the buck you could get. A good example would be the Fuji S5 Pro which in a sense is a re-packaged Nikon D200 which still commands a high price and demand even if no more warranty or even as a third hand item.

Check all out all your options first as in a way, buy camera is as much as like buying a car or house.

I have use both D60 & 450D, prefer D60 cos of the Nikon flash system since I use flash alot.

audio house lets u test on the spot so you can compare ;)

But likely they will con you with other nonsense in return. Not a good recommendation. There are lists of reputable shops here in the equipment forums,

I think you shouldn't be affected by any people comment. You are the one paying for it, therefore you should feel comfortable with your purchase after trying out. Otherwise you might just feel regretted when you did not purchase what you wanted.

Another point is to research before you buy. Don't get con by prices or some dishonest retailer comments and get affected by them.

Errm, pls correct me if i'm wrong, but i think D60 require lense with motor build in them. So if you are willing to spend a little extra on lense to purchase those with motor in them i think you will be fine. however if you are also good with MF then should not be a prob. On the other had 450D is using SD card as their memory source. And the cons of SD card is that its suspectable to memory lost.
Both 450D and D60 are using SD cards so that's not a factor... :)

ic ic, what abt the part on D60 only able to AF with lenses that has motor built in them?

ic ic, what abt the part on D60 only able to AF with lenses that has motor built in them?
have to understand that D60 Nikon mount is compatible with some lens made long long time ago which do not have built in motor or auto-anything whatsoever. Newer Nikkor lens however more or less comes with just about everything so no worries if going to be using new lens but then there are some really old lens that are legendary tack sharp which cost tens of thousands years ago now going for like a few hundred. To a lot of people, its worth going back to manual focusing and metering.

D60 and 450D may approach the same pricepoint but each has their own advantages and disadvantages. For the price also, might want to take a look at Pentax K200D and Fuji S5 Pro.

I have choosen D60 over 450D mainly because it give me better grip. The grip on 450D doesn't suit my hand.

have to understand that D60 Nikon mount is compatible with some lens made long long time ago which do not have built in motor or auto-anything whatsoever. Newer Nikkor lens however more or less comes with just about everything so no worries if going to be using new lens but then there are some really old lens that are legendary tack sharp which cost tens of thousands years ago now going for like a few hundred. To a lot of people, its worth going back to manual focusing and metering.

D60 and 450D may approach the same pricepoint but each has their own advantages and disadvantages. For the price also, might want to take a look at Pentax K200D and Fuji S5 Pro.

Isn't the famous 50mm f1.8 Nikkor without a motor as well? Quite a lot of primes are unusable without the motor, not to mention some third party lenses

If this is your first dslr, do spend some more time to research. Do consider other brand like Olympus, Sony or Pentax as well. Everyone has his/her own reference, but imho, Olympus, Sony and Pentax are doing better in the entry section than Canon and Nikon.

Also, the photography world, you don't buy a camera, you buy a whole system. Lenses, flashes, after-purchase services ... are important as well.

Please for goodness sake, spend abit more on a D90 instead, then chip on bread later. :bsmilie: I assure you will alot happier later ;p

Isn't the famous 50mm f1.8 Nikkor without a motor as well? Quite a lot of primes are unusable without the motor, not to mention some third party lenses
If accidentally buy thinking can autofocus, most likely did not read the D60 manual. only lenses with the AF-S prefix can autofocus with the Nikon D60.

It does make sense to have all the features built into the body and simply let the lens do its primary job.

Please for goodness sake, spend abit more on a D90 instead, then chip on bread later. :bsmilie: I assure you will alot happier later ;p

Too late le.. i think he invested in a d60 already. =S

Think he didnt realise that d60 doesnt have AutoFocus in-built in the body. :eek:

Too late le.. i think he invested in a d60 already. =S

Think he didnt realise that d60 doesnt have AutoFocus in-built in the body. :eek:

I see tough luck then......... sigh........... sell it again bah!!!! hahahahahaha
kidding lah...... then use it first. It's a good body too. just that there are always better ones only :sweat:
Just have to stick with AF-S lens loh.... no choice liao. Or practice on manual focus.... It's pretty fast for a human eye too. just not accurate only.

I see tough luck then......... sigh........... sell it again bah!!!! hahahahahaha
kidding lah...... then use it first. It's a good body too. just that there are always better ones only :sweat:
Just have to stick with AF-S lens loh.... no choice liao. Or practice on manual focus.... It's pretty fast for a human eye too. just not accurate only.

I always find difficulty in using MF. Maybe cos my eyes not sharp ba. lol.

I always find difficulty in using MF. Maybe cos my eyes not sharp ba. lol.

Why did you use your eyes to do the focusing. When did human eyes becomes so damn accurate ? Somemore the resolution you get from that small little viewfinder is not large enough ! :bsmilie:

I'm quite sure you have the small little dot at the side of the viewfinder showing up when your subject is in focus right ? Use that as an indicator please. What happens with non AF-S lens on camera before D80 is just no built in motor to drive the lens, it's not that there is no focusing mechanism at all. Use your arm power, drive the lens to autofocus and your eyes watch on where your are focusing and also take note of the indicator becomes steady to show it's in focus.

Disclaimer: That indicator is just an approximation, but it is still better than using your naked eyes for precision.

Why did you use your eyes to do the focusing. When did human eyes becomes so damn accurate ? Somemore the resolution you get from that small little viewfinder is not large enough ! :bsmilie:

I'm quite sure you have the small little dot at the side of the viewfinder showing up when your subject is in focus right ? Use that as an indicator please. What happens with non AF-S lens on camera before D80 is just no built in motor to drive the lens, it's not that there is no focusing mechanism at all. Use your arm power, drive the lens to autofocus and your eyes watch on where your are focusing and also take note of the indicator becomes steady to show it's in focus.

Disclaimer: That indicator is just an approximation, but it is still better than using your naked eyes for precision.
D60 not only has the dot, its has a rangefinder function as well... Shows you arrows at the bottom of the viewfinder so you know which way to turn the focusing ring and how much to get perfect focus! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.