Should i buy Canon PowerShot G11?

samieme

Dear all,

I intend to upgrade my camera + hobby from a basic casio digital cam to something that's more powerful which i'm considering Canon PowerShot G11...

I know that getting a DSLR is better but budget constraint... .. .

So i thought Canon PowerShot G11 is something like semi-pro like that...

Any advice? Thanks!

Samie

if the main reason why you're not getting a DSLR is price and not size, a number of entry-level DSLRs are priced lower than the G11.
There's the Sony Alpha A2xx (can't remember the exact model number), the Pentax K-x, the Canon 1000D, and others which I'm not so familiar with...
What is your budget?
The sensor size of a DSLR camera is up to 10 times that of the compact camera like G11, which enables much better signal-to-noise ratios, reducing the effect of noise in images at higher ISO settings.
ok ok maybe getting too technical.

I'm biased towards DSLRs, and would recommend one over a compact any day. Just shop around and try to play around with them if possible (Courts Megastore is a good place to try).

if the main reason why you're not getting a DSLR is price and not size, a number of entry-level DSLRs are priced lower than the G11.
There's the Sony Alpha A2xx (can't remember the exact model number), the Pentax K-x, the Canon 1000D, and others which I'm not so familiar with...
What is your budget?
The sensor size of a DSLR camera is up to 10 times that of the compact camera like G11, which enables much better signal-to-noise ratios, reducing the effect of noise in images at higher ISO settings.
ok ok maybe getting too technical.

I'm biased towards DSLRs, and would recommend one over a compact any day. Just shop around and try to play around with them if possible (Courts Megastore is a good place to try).

thks for the reply! i'm not too sure if i should go for DSLR as i believe that other than getting the body i still need to buy lens, etc... rite?

Thats why i thought i could start off with G11... Or it's a wrong mentality? I have just chked the price for G11, it's currently selling at around $700.

Samie

G11 is not a bad choice.

But its better to get a DSLR.

If you stretch your budget a little you can get a new entry level dslr. The below comes to mind.

EOS 1000D
Nikon D3000 and D5000
Pentax K-X

If you are budget constrained then it would be a tad better to get a second hand one and there are lots of options.

EOS 450D
EOS 400D
Nikon D80
Nikon D70
EOS 20D - Great camera for the price
EOS 30D - Great camera for the price

In this day and age you have too many options so choose carefully based on your needs.

And Compacts will not better d-slr Image quality for the foreseeable future.

thks for the reply! i'm not too sure if i should go for DSLR as i believe that other than getting the body i still need to buy lens, etc... rite?

Thats why i thought i could start off with G11... Or it's a wrong mentality? I have just chked the price for G11, it's currently selling at around $700.

Samie

When you get a sony A230 kit, it comes with a lens. And is cheaper than a G11.

G11 is not a bad choice.

But its better to get a DSLR.

If you stretch your budget a little you can get a new entry level dslr. The below comes to mind.

EOS 1000D
Nikon D3000 and D5000
Pentax K-X

If you are budget constrained then it would be a tad better to get a second hand one and there are lots of options.

EOS 450D
EOS 400D
Nikon D80
Nikon D70
EOS 20D - Great camera for the price
EOS 30D - Great camera for the price

In this day and age you have too many options so choose carefully based on your needs.

And Compacts will not better d-slr Image quality for the foreseeable future.

Thanks Gangru!

wow too many options to consider and seriously dunno which one is gd for me.

i'm trying to pick up this new hobby, so i thought i could start off with G11...

is it advisable to get a new one instead if 2nd hand?

Is EOS 1000D a good choice as it's about the same price as G11...
Will there be a lot of add on that i must buy with the EOS 1000D?

Samie

Thanks Gangru!

i'm trying to pick up this new hobby, so i thought i could start off with G11...

Samie
With an entry-level DSLR like the 1000D and it's kit lens (18-55mm), you're pretty much set for a lot of the photos that you would be able to take with the G11. The difference is probably video (G11 has and 1000D doesn't, I think), and I think the G11 gives you slightly more reach with its lens.

"usually" (and I stress usually), once you buy a DSLR, you start to want to achieve more and more with your photos... then you browse forums like CS where people 'poison' you by saying you must buy this and that... so then DSLR ownership can be quite expensive.
hahaha...
but I also have friends who only buy DSLR and basic kit lens, and are happily shooting.

things that people usually buy after DSLR
1) dry cabinet for storage
2) filters (protective UV, CPL circular polarizer, etc)
3) 'branded' tripod - more stable
4) bigger/better/nicer bag(s)
5) external flash
6) more lenses

With an entry-level DSLR like the 1000D and it's kit lens (18-55mm), you're pretty much set for a lot of the photos that you would be able to take with the G11. The difference is probably video (G11 has and 1000D doesn't, I think), and I think the G11 gives you slightly more reach with its lens.

"usually" (and I stress usually), once you buy a DSLR, you start to want to achieve more and more with your photos... then you browse forums like CS where people 'poison' you by saying you must buy this and that... so then DSLR ownership can be quite expensive.
hahaha...
but I also have friends who only buy DSLR and basic kit lens, and are happily shooting.

things that people usually buy after DSLR
1) dry cabinet for storage
2) filters (protective UV, CPL circular polarizer, etc)
3) 'branded' tripod - more stable
4) bigger/better/nicer bag(s)
5) external flash
6) more lenses

I have to agree with what ZerocoolAstra has stated above.

Perhaps you should answer these two questions first:
  1. Total budgeted amount
    • Are you going into photography long term, or still unsure and just want to test the waters first to see your level of interest?
      • What type of situations, locations and things do you foresee yourself shooting with your new camera (regardless of whether you get the G11 or a DSLR)?

Once we can gauge your objective and your 'war chest', then the more savvy users can provide you with maybe a shopping list of items that will suit you.

The important thing to remember is that if you buy a DSLR, it's highly unlikely that the camera body and kit lens are the only items you will purchase (unless you have friends or relatives who can lend you their equipment). Just look at all the things ZerocoolAstra listed above.

Again, how much of those you buy also depends on your interest level. The best thing you can do for yourself now is to answer those questions first, before anyone else can advise you.

Hi sorry off topic a bit ... which shop selling G11 at $700?
Cheapest i found is $720 ... care to share ... getting one this week or next.
:angel:

Thanks Gangru!

Samie

One advice that I have always heard is to outgrow your gear. So If you are following that rule, you would probably just need the following

1. D-SLR with kit lens
2. Tripod (even a $30 one would be better than not having one)
3. UV filter for your lens, to protect the front element (your mileage may vary)
4. A Bag to carry the camera.

In case you out grow your basic gear in a year or two. Then you can consider investing some more.

Disclaimer : I am not responsible if you get 'poisoned' or infected by BBB Virus - >: Muahaha

it's exciting to be shopping for a camera but at the same time can be a bit of a headache.

TS, if you're a working adult, I'm pretty sure you've spent more money than this without such hesitation. Might be a car, home, latest gadget, etc...
I myself sometimes feel silly for deliberating so much on a relatively affordable item, yet spend more on frivolous stuff :D

it's exciting to be shopping for a camera but at the same time can be a bit of a headache.

TS, if you're a working adult, I'm pretty sure you've spent more money than this without such hesitation. Might be a car, home, latest gadget, etc...
I myself sometimes feel silly for deliberating so much on a relatively affordable item, yet spend more on frivolous stuff :D

well, i'm currently spending lotsa $$$ on my new house reno and i'm thinking of getting a better cam instead of the usual digital cam that's why i'm thinking hard now...

i guess at the end of the day buying a DSLR is gonna be quite costly in the long run plus the fact that i'm trying to pick up photography as my new hobby so probably i shuld try with G11 1st.... ??? ....

well, i'm currently spending lotsa $$$ on my new house reno and i'm thinking of getting a better cam instead of the usual digital cam that's why i'm thinking hard now...

i guess at the end of the day buying a DSLR is gonna be quite costly in the long run plus the fact that i'm trying to pick up photography as my new hobby so probably i shuld try with G11 1st.... ??? ....
hard to say la... it's not such a clear-cut decision.
If you're worried about cost, in actual fact a DSLR isn't more costly if you stick to the basics.
My D80, which I bought 2.5 years ago, is still working like the 1st day I took it out of the box. Battery life is still fantastic. All functions on the lens and body work perfectly. Since I take a lot of night land/cityscapes, I've left the UV filter at home, so in actual fact i'm still using the bare-bones gear.
{I tell a lie: I'm pairing my D80 with an ultra-wide-angle lens most of the time, but the kit lens is used fairly often and works perfectly}

Now my friend bought a Canon Powershot (dunno what model) about 2 years ago. It broke down on him during a holiday trip last year. So as a result, no photos from that trip. This year he bought a new compact camera. The total amount of $$ spent is greater than what an entry-level DSLR costs now.

Photography as a hobby must be low priority compared to a house or a car. Its all very well to invest in a camera, but you might regret later not putting your money to better use.

G11 is a great camera to use for most of the situations.

But remember to keep your expectations limited to the gear.

Shoot more and have fun.

Last edited: