Should i buy Canon PowerShot G11?

Speaking from personal experience here so the advice may differ from what the others have given:

I own a ultra-zoom type prosumer and it served me well for 3 years for landscape (28mm in 35mm equivalent), macro (can focus as close as up to 1cm), and times when you need the extra reach (500mm in 35mm equivalent). All these at a relative low cost of $800 in one body. Try buying ($$$) and bringing the various lenses for these with you on trips (weight). Plus I didn't need a dry cabinet.

Even now after caving in to buy my first dslr, I am keeping the prosumer around while I play with the kit lens, and slowly save to get the lenses I want.

In short, if you know specifically what type of photography you wish to venture into, then invest in a dslr system right away. Otherwise a prosumer will give you the leeway to explore different genres without breaking the bank. And on the topic of prosumers, other than Canon Powershot G-series, there's Nikon P series, Panasonic LX series, Sony H-series, Fujifilm S series, and Olympus SP series that you can check out...

Speaking from personal experience here so the advice may differ from what the others have given:

I own a ultra-zoom type prosumer and it served me well for 3 years for landscape (28mm in 35mm equivalent), macro (can focus as close as up to 1cm), and times when you need the extra reach (500mm in 35mm equivalent). All these at a relative low cost of $800 in one body. Try buying ($$$) and bringing the various lenses for these with you on trips (weight). Plus I didn't need a dry cabinet.

Even now after caving in to buy my first dslr, I am keeping the prosumer around while I play with the kit lens, and slowly save to get the lenses I want.

In short, if you know specifically what type of photography you wish to venture into, then invest in a dslr system right away. Otherwise a prosumer will give you the leeway to explore different genres without breaking the bank. And on the topic of prosumers, other than Canon Powershot G-series, there's Nikon P series, Panasonic LX series, Sony H-series, Fujifilm S series, and Olympus SP series that you can check out...
you've raised some very valid points...

yet more things for TS to consider! :)

I strongly agree with you :D

Many people bought a DSLR too prematurely. In the end, they need to change the DSLR from one brand to another. They should start off with a cheap prosumers from Fuji Film like S1500,S1800,S2500 ( less than $500 )

agree with you on that. I think too many people assume that the DSLR is some sort of 'magic weapon' that can easily take all the photos that their compact/PnS cameras can't. But often they fail to realize that they lack the basics to really maximize their equipment.

TS, I'm not saying you're like that hor... just a general observation of the way people take photos and their subsequent comments when they notice the photo is not sharp.

agree further with bro zero
i started with dslr, from olyumpus and switched over to canon without getting too familiar with the olympus.

however, i started to settle down more with the canon, and with more tips and advise from brothers (and sistas) in CS, which developed my passion in photography.

Still a newbie though
:p

agree with you on that. I think too many people assume that the DSLR is some sort of 'magic weapon' that can easily take all the photos that their compact/PnS cameras can't. But often they fail to realize that they lack the basics to really maximize their equipment.

TS, I'm not saying you're like that hor... just a general observation of the way people take photos and their subsequent comments when they notice the photo is not sharp.

agree further with bro zero
i started with dslr, from olyumpus and switched over to canon without getting too familiar with the olympus.

however, i started to settle down more with the canon, and with more tips and advise from brothers (and sistas) in CS, which developed my passion in photography.

Still a newbie though
:p
we are all newbies... some have just been newbies for longer :)

I think the senior members have told you already.. It's up to you whether you think G11 is good choice or not. :)

Btw. newbie here too, just finish reading this informative thread! thanks! :)

so will G11 be a good choice or is there other brands/models i can compare or consider versus G11?

In brand alphabetical order:
Canon - SX210IS, S90, SX20, G11
Fujifilm - HS10, S200EXR
Nikon - P100
Olympus - SP590UZ
Panasonic - FZ28, LX3
Sony - H55, H20

And these are just to name a few. To help narrow down the choices, try specifying what you want/prefer, e.g. ultrazoom (> 15x) or not; compact and light like a P&S or not; budget.

Actually u can just pick a few models u like, then go to Google and type, for eg:

G11 Review

Normally the first that pops up tends to be under www.dpreview.com

If it doesnt, then choose the one which is under dpreview

This is a good site as it explains thoroughly with tests. U can go read up and research on the models u prefer, from this site.

Hope this helps, cheers

wow! thats very informative!

i guess i might probably go for G11 as it's a new hobby and i still dunno how far it will go...

any advice on the G11? or is there other brands/model ya would recommed?

thks!

You might want to check our Fuji HS11, very good reviews. Also good are Panasonic LX3, and the new Samsung EX-1. And they are all cheaper than the G11, I think.

Hi, I just went funan yest... SLRR selling $703 if not wrong 

wow! thats very informative!

i guess i might probably go for G11 as it's a new hobby and i still dunno how far it will go...

any advice on the G11? or is there other brands/model ya would recommed?

thks!

G11 is quite a good camera. has most of the functions...

what are you looking for in a cam?

well, i'm currently spending lotsa $$$ on my new house reno and i'm thinking of getting a better cam instead of the usual digital cam that's why i'm thinking hard now...

i guess at the end of the day buying a DSLR is gonna be quite costly in the long run plus the fact that i'm trying to pick up photography as my new hobby so probably i shuld try with G11 1st.... ??? ....

there's really no right or wrong answer...

personally in the same dilemma as you before.. but in the end, after my friend (who owns both DSLR & G series) advise, I go for the G11..

Agree on your comments..

:thumbsup:

I have been playing with prosumers for a couple of years. Early 2009 decided that I was really struggling to manually control my shots (hard to get to the settings I want quickly with my fat thumbs). Gave up and ended up with the 500D and now, 7D. Sold the 500D but still kept my G9. Sometimes, I still revert to prosumer cams ... nostalgic.
If you want to immediately control all your shots manually, try out the controls on the G11 before you buy it. If you don't need so much control, hey, G11 or maybe the micro 4/3s.

I have both the G11 and a DSLR(Pentax Kx).
The G11 is the one that i bring around with me all the time.
It's always in my bag to capture those priceless moments in life.
Be it a colleague's farewell dinner or a surprise bday party etc, it's handy to have the G11 in possesion.
Why the G11 and not a normal Point & Shoot cam?
It allows me more control.
It's not as fast as a dslr, nevertheless the G11 is capable of taking nice pictures.
The swivel screen really comes in handy when taking candid self photo with your friends etc.

Last edited:
I have been playing with prosumers for a couple of years. Early 2009 decided that I was really struggling to manually control my shots (hard to get to the settings I want quickly with my fat thumbs). Gave up and ended up with the 500D and now, 7D. Sold the 500D but still kept my G9. Sometimes, I still revert to prosumer cams ... nostalgic.
If you want to immediately control all your shots manually, try out the controls on the G11 before you buy it. If you don't need so much control, hey, G11 or maybe the micro 4/3s.

There are situations where a smaller form factor will be more suitable, like street photography.

you start with G11, you end at G11.
you stat with 1000D, you will up to 550d, 7d, 5d2.....
and coming with Luxary lens some more.....

you start with G11, you end at G11.
you stat with 1000D, you will up to 550d, 7d, 5d2.....
and coming with Luxary lens some more.....

Someone starting with G11 can also upgrade to DSLR and all the way to 1Dm4.
:dunno: