Should I buy a Third Lens for this trip ? Please advice

Ricardo Ong

Jan 31, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I’m facing a dilemma now and would greatly appreciate your views and advice. I would be traveling to Sydney, Australia this May to attend my sister’s graduation and I am given the official photographer role to mark her ‘big day’.

For my kit, I’m using Canon 60D, with Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Marco OS HSM and Sigma 85mm F1.4.

I am wondering whether I should consider buying a Third Lens for my trip.

Should I consider buying a Wide angle lens - Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM or a Telephoto zoom lens - Tamron Sp 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD. (other models - please recommend)

Reason:

Other than the graduation ceremony, I would be traveling interstate (Melbourne & the countryside) to visit my friends. I have never taken pictures of the Oz laid back countryside/urban cities before using a DSLR and the additional Third Lens would give me a wider/extended reach.

Or my current two lenses are more than sufficient for my 10 days trip.

Thanks again and I look forward to your replies.

Cheers!

given the 2, i would get the wide angle... but 85mm is barely enough to do stage photography... unless you walk up close

Hello Ricardo Ong.
If shooting your sister on the stage is one of the important tasks, then you need a telezoom, and not the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 because this lens may not be fast enough for your need. The main reason why I say that is because graudation ceremonies are usually set indoors and you will need:
  1. A camera that can shoot with high ISO capability - your 60D can.
  2. A fast telezoom like the 70-200mm f/2.8. In my humble opinion, anything less than f/2.8 will probably make it quite a struggle to shoot indoor stage.

Thus you might want to leave your 85mm at home and bring a 70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to your general purpose Sigma 17-70mm.
My humble opinion.

A flash might be a lot more useful than a uwa.

TS,
What would be the important photos that you'll be trying to capture during the graduation ceremony?
To me, the actual presentation of the certificate involves a long wait (many other graduating together) for a fleeting moment of action :)
I much preferred the photos with my friends afterwards.

So essentially the bulk of the photos will be group shots, outdoors in (hopefully) good lighting conditions.
I suppose your 17-70 would be used for most of the shots.
Agree with DD123 that a flash (used for fill) would come in quite handy for those shots.
A UWA lens (eg. 10-20) would be nice to capture the architecture of the university campus (what uni, if I may ask?), and especially around Circular Quay and the Rocks, though 17-70 might just suffice.

I would go for UWA if you are travelling and do not need the zoom for stage photo.

Nowadays, I prefer to travel light. If I could bring only one lens, it would be the 17-70 -- covers 95% of my travel photo needs. Next in line would be the UWA, which would be great for scenics etc. I wouldn't bother with the telezoom. I have lugged one around on trips and it doesn't come out of the bag for days. But then I generally prefer wide over tele anyway. A lot depends on how YOU normally shoot.
Yes, a flash could be handy esp for fill, but in the spirit of travelling light, I normally just use the built-in flash for fill. Or bring a small flash :)

Hi All,

I have read through all your your comments and advice and thanks for the feedback, I think i will forgo the UWA lens reasons. i will be carrying three lens this trip, would be rather heavy. i cant see myside using much of the UWA as well in my daily usage...

so what my plan is

1) Carry the 17-70mm attached to Canon 60D for my everyday city walkabout in a lowepro Toploader Zoom 50AW,

2) if i go interstate / Oz outback for 1-2days, I will bring along the 17-70mm cum the 70-300mm in the Crumple Five million dollar bag. (leave the 85MM F1.4 at the hotel). Cos when i travel via car, i may see some random events/animals which i think the 30-700mm will give me the extra reach

3) Actual graduation ceremony, I will bring a photo backpack to house my Canon 60D, 17-70MM, 85MM and the 70-300MM, flash, tripod and EXTRA BATTERY. (i am also bringing my trusty Canon 611 as safety camera)

the only headache i have now is

1) the flash - Canon speedite 320 is not out yet...(due to Japan earthquake, i think production delay), not sure if they will be released before the ceremony (may 14)

2) I have read some comments from other forumns that the 70-300mm F4-5.6 may not be "fast" enough in low light situations....
what do u mean by that?
is due to the F4-5.6 as slower than the F2.8? or ie will take long time to focus >?? or the pic wont turn out sharp / well ?

thanks again everyone for all your input and i hope to hear from u soon!

ps: my sis is from UTS, her ceremony is at the Sydney Convention & Exhibition Center / Darling Harbour

Last edited:
Haha don't regret not bringing a UWA! :)
The convention centre at Darling Harbour is quite large. If you don't have access to the front area during the ceremony, my guess is it'll be tough to get a decent shot of your sis on the stage.

70-300 f/4-5.6 lets in much less light than the 70-200 f/2.8
That could affect the AF system.
Not to mention that with less light you'll need longer exposures, which is not good if you're trying to freeze movement (eg walking across stage).

Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 will do the job...

Hi everyone thanks for your comments, i have bought the 70-300mm telephoto zoom instead...i have used it once, at last weekend wedding inside the church...
the pics turned out pretty good, (maybe due to the light - late afternoon) but i know , graduation is a diff setting / indoor lights but yeah...

for UWA lens, i have seen some really cool pics with it ... but i guess that would be my fourth lens...

hey Bro erkoe007, - where about can i get this tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ? how much ?

Hi everyone thanks for your comments, i have bought the 70-300mm telephoto zoom instead...i have used it once, at last weekend wedding inside the church...
the pics turned out pretty good, (maybe due to the light - late afternoon) but i know , graduation is a diff setting / indoor lights but yeah...

for UWA lens, i have seen some really cool pics with it ... but i guess that would be my fourth lens...

hey Bro erkoe007, - where about can i get this tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ? how much ?

we have the price guides for a reason.

Hi Irvine,

thanks!, now i gotta start saving up for my UWA lens

:p

Ricardo Ong said:
Hi Irvine,

thanks!, now i gotta start saving up for my UWA lens

:p

Local set below 1K

for Australia? i prefer to bring UWA lens since there is many great place for architecture...
for graduation ceremony? i used my sigma 50 150..and always on the zoom end (150mm)....but if u dont mind to walk down to get closer...i think 85mm is enough...
flash? i think ur 17 70mm is enough....