Should i buy a Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mic7762

Dec 10, 2008
Hi i'm having a D60 with sigma 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 lens should i get the original Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR from the D60 kit? Is there any different in use or picture quality? Or should i just use my sigma len? Please guide me. Thanks. :)

IMO, no need since youve pretty covered the 18mm to 200mm range. As for the VR, my impression is, VR, IS or whatever term used...its not much usable at this focal range(17mm-55mm).

Last edited:
imo, might as well sell the Sigma and get a 18-200VR or a 18-200OS (depending on budget) :think:

Did you get your D60 + Sigma 18-200 from Audio House?

Well... just use this lens first until you see why you need another lens. It does not make much sense to have 2 lenses duplicate the same range with the same aperture. Unless you are getting the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, then that is a clear upgrade from the quality of the Sigma 18-200.

Well... just use this lens first until you see why you need another lens. It does not make much sense to have 2 lenses duplicate the same range with the same aperture. Unless you are getting the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, then that is a clear upgrade from the quality of the Sigma 18-200.

Yes bro i have got it from audio house. Hmm... what is Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 len for? Will i have better picture quality with this len? How much it cost? :) Thanks

Yes bro i have got it from audio house. Hmm... what is Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 len for? Will i have better picture quality with this len? How much it cost? :) Thanks

You can check out the Nikon Price list here...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292045

The Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 lens will definately give you better picture quality compared to the Sigma 18-200 lens. Lenses that cover a wide range, e.g. 18mm to 200mm, tend to have lower image quality as it has to take care of many factors as it zooms the range. That is also why prime lenses (lenses with fixed focal length and cannot zoom) tend to produce better image quality. There are some Nikon zoom lenses that have image quality comparable to primes.

strictly speaking, image quality of sigma 18-200, no way comparable w 17-55 f2.8. this will be apparent if u shoot test charts and compare them at great magnification.

however, actual performance in the field is much more complicated. atmosphere, hand-shake, off focus, subject movement, all impact on sharpness.

and for 8R enlargement (probably the largest most ppl go), i'd say u will be hard pressed to note any diff. cus there are jus to many variables that u wun know which accounts for which. cus apart from lens, differences in camera, different camera settings, different ppl do various amt of PP, the printer also do some... ...

my advise would be to go out and shoot and dun worry about lens.

Last edited:
strictly speaking, image quality of sigma 18-200, no way comparable w 17-55 f2.8. this will be apparent if u shoot test charts and compare them at great magnification.

however, actual performance in the field is much more complicated. atmosphere, hand-shake, off focus, subject movement, all impact on sharpness.

and for 8R enlargement (probably the largest most ppl go), i'd say u will be hard pressed to note any diff. cus there are jus to many variables that u wun know which accounts for which. cus apart from lens, differences in camera, different camera settings, different ppl do various amt of PP, the printer also do some... ...

my advise would be to go out and shoot and dun worry about lens.

Thanks Bro :)

If u initially want to change to 18-55, then now u thinking of upgrading to 17-55 f2.8.. Then yr budget must also have a big upgrade.. :confused:

If u wan to get a better lens in tat range, yes, 17-55 f2.8 is a good lens in that range, alternative if u wan another solution but dun wan to burst yr wallet.. You can consider Tamron 17-50 f2.8...

You have to remember that the 17-55 is a hefty lens is both size and cost.

no horse run ...

this lens superb for indoors...tack sharp..got nikkor black magic in it

I have personally tested this lens and what I can say is, THIS GLASS ROCKS!!! But the price of this lens actually held me back. Superb quality and built, just like one bro here, it has the Nikon Black Magic built in that lens. I like the heavy 'feel'. Lowest quoted price I got so far for this lens is about $1850 (B4 GST I think). Must save up save up....

Also, I have used this 18-55mm lens you mentioned with my D80 and D300 and the picture quality is not that sharp, even with a tripod. Your Sigma 18-200 (I am also using this lens) can give you a better sharpness at that range.

My 2 cents.......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.