Should I Buy a Canon 7D??

ShawnKohJyhShen

Jun 22, 2010
Sengkang
Hey guys, I'm Shawn, I'm an amateur photographer just having it as a hobby. I'm currently using a Canon 500d, well its sorta my brother's but he dosent use it much. Anyway, I'm looking into getting my own camera and pursuing this hobby to a higher level.

I understand that a 7D might be way out of my class, the prices is quiet expensive and i may be under-qualified to understand most of the functions of such a high level DSLR.

So my problem is that i like to have my own stuff, meaning personally, and when i go into a hobby, i tend to want to have the best so as to not waste time building up from the beginning and most likely losing more money. So what i wan to enquire is that, is it a good idea for me to purchase a Canon 7D at this stage?

Perhaps you could list down why you chose the 7D over the other available models like the 1D, 5D, 50D, 550D or even 1000D? Coz "the best" is very subjective.

Hey guys, I'm Shawn, I'm an amateur photographer just having it as a hobby. I'm currently using a Canon 500d, well its sorta my brother's but he dosent use it much. Anyway, I'm looking into getting my own camera and pursuing this hobby to a higher level.

I understand that a 7D might be way out of my class, the prices is quiet expensive and i may be under-qualified to understand most of the functions of such a high level DSLR.

So my problem is that i like to have my own stuff, meaning personally, and when i go into a hobby, i tend to want to have the best so as to not waste time building up from the beginning and most likely losing more money. So what i wan to enquire is that, is it a good idea for me to purchase a Canon 7D at this stage?

No. It is not a good idea. You mentioned you wanted the best and the 7D ain't it.

The best in Canon are 1Ds mk3 and 1D mk4.
The best in Nikon are D3x and D3s
The best in Sony is A900
The best in Pentax is K-7
The best in Olympus is E-3

Among all these bests, the best of the best are the models from Nikon and Canon. Take your pick.

Out of your league? no problem, read books like hell, go shoot at every opportunity, attending classes and you will start catching it all.

Last edited:
Why would u upgrade to another crop? U should sim for FF bodies! There is no value in getting another crop ehen u just get enhance features like AF, bigger megapixels etc but u are still limited to 1.6x crop.

Anyway if u are bent on buying... Can i join purchase with u? U get your 7D i get speedlite 580ii thru u. :)

I don't see a problem... Just go get what your heart desires...

No. It is not a good idea. You mentioned you wanted the best and the 7D ain't it.

The best in Sony is A900

Among all these bests, the best of the best are the models from Nikon and Canon. Take your pick.

Out of your league? no problem, read books like hell, go shoot at every opportunity, attending classes and you will start catching it all.

thanks i'll go read up more on the 1D

Why would u upgrade to another crop? U should sim for FF bodies! There is no value in getting another crop ehen u just get enhance features like AF, bigger megapixels etc but u are still limited to 1.6x crop.

Anyway if u are bent on buying... Can i join purchase with u? U get your 7D i get speedlite 580ii thru u. :)

wats a crop?
sry ah quiet blurr
and regarding the joint purchase, i think it wont work out as i need to get the flash. but its gonna be awhile till i get it.

The best in Sony is A900

Bro dd, you have left one best of the best --> Leica S2 :devil:

leica-s2-side-shot-rm-eng.jpg

So what i wan to enquire is that, is it a good idea for me to purchase a Canon 7D at this stage?

I think you should get a lower-end camera if you are just shooting for fun. Getting a 7D will set you back by about $2.2k. With the same amount of money, you can buy a resale 40D ($800), a resale 17-40L ($850) and a resale 430EX II ($350). You still have $200 to buy some camera accessories.

Since your bro is not using it much, why dun you continue using the 500D then?

It's the most cost effective way to bring up your skills till the time you feel and know what you want to purchase.

Jumping directly to a mid-level might be seen as "very pro" to others seeing you holding that 7D but if you dun feel good using it or rather use it less often like your bro does, then it will very soon be sitting in the dry cab most of the time.

I often see people mentioning the best camera is the one that is with you when you needed it most and also the one you feel most comfortable using it with. It's not the one who is branded or always on advertisements or people told you it's good.

What's good for others may not be good for you.

BTW, why didnt you check with your bro why he dun use it much then? Might as well buy over from him and start learning from there.

P.S: there's no way one step to reach heaven, it's takes practise and patience to reach the skills needed for all things in life. it's good to be humble and start things from scratch slowly.

Last edited:
As technology advances very fast, even if you buy the "best" now, it will still become the "worst" one day. What is a true waste of money is to have a camera which have features and functions you are unable to fully utilize due to your lack of skills and by the time you've gained sufficient skills and experience to fully utiiize it, it would already start to become obsolete and its value would have dropped pretty much.

In the dslr route, it is more wise to start off with a lousier body first and build up on your lens collection before upgrading bodies. If you were to pair the 7D with the 18-55 kit lens or the 18-135 that comes with it as a set, I'd say the performance of the lens will bottleneck your overall performance. Looking at it this way, getting a 7d would be quite a waste, unless your capital is large enough to instantly build a decent arsenal of lenses to pair with the 7D.

You could spend money on lenses first and continue to use your bro's camera. For e.g. an utlra-wide angle lens and macro lens would open up very different possibilities for you and allow you to develop your skills better.

As technology advances very fast, even if you buy the "best" now, it will still become the "worst" one day. What is a true waste of money is to have a camera which have features and functions you are unable to fully utilize due to your lack of skills and by the time you've gained sufficient skills and experience to fully utiiize it, it would already start to become obsolete and its value would have dropped pretty much.

In the dslr route, it is more wise to start off with a lousier body first and build up on your lens collection before upgrading bodies. If you were to pair the 7D with the 18-55 kit lens or the 18-135 that comes with it as a set, I'd say the performance of the lens will bottleneck your overall performance. Looking at it this way, getting a 7d would be quite a waste, unless your capital is large enough to instantly build a decent arsenal of lenses to pair with the 7D.

Fully agreed. It's not a shame to be seen using a low-end or entry model camera while producing good pictures with it.

It would be a shame to be seen using a pro level one while producing lousy pictures with it.

Don't restrict yourself to just Canon. Look into other brands as well. It is a big commitment because you're buying into an entire system; bodies, lenses, and accessories.

Since your bro is not using it much, why dun you continue using the 500D then?

It's the most cost effective way to bring up your skills till the time you feel and know what you want to purchase.

Jumping directly to a mid-level might be seen as "very pro" to others seeing you holding that 7D but if you dun feel good using it or rather use it less often like your bro does, then it will very soon be sitting in the dry cab most of the time.

I often see people mentioning the best camera is the one that is with you when you needed it most and also the one you feel most comfortable using it with. It's not the one who is branded or always on advertisements or people told you it's good.

What's good for others may not be good for you.

BTW, why didnt you check with your bro why he dun use it much then? Might as well buy over from him and start learning from there.

P.S: there's no way one step to reach heaven, it's takes practise and patience to reach the skills needed for all things in life. it's good to be humble and start things from scratch slowly.

I think you are looking at my perspective a different way from me.
I do not get good products to show off.
I want to get a good product to suit my need for now and the future.
it was never about show boasting or anything like that. Ultimately the pictures says it all.
Why i want to get another camera is that i personally want it to be personal.
i'm the type that like to take care of things unlike my siblings who borrow the camera from time to time and do not take care of it, bt thats nt really the point.

ow yah btw, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

back to the point, i want to buy a camera for my self that has as many functions as possible with good quality, this way i can use it through out my "life" and have sorta no boundries in terms of exploring the world of photography. So like i said, its nothing to do with showing off the best camera, but instead its having the "best" so that I can make it last and explore endlessly.

as for the 7D, I'm not sure if its a good camera , but since its the latest, i thought i might bring it up to see what you guys thing about it.

as for the metaphor of the "one step to heaven" i totally agree, but thats nt what i want to do, erm how do i put it,

Every one wants to reach "heaven" rite, but the step, s we take sometimes bound us to that step alone and taking the next step gets harder.
so why i want a better camera is so that i can explore the "camera world" broader without limitations.

Understanabaly, a 7D might be a big jump, its like jumping 3 steps for example.
so like 3 steps is a big jump, if i have a very good product, i can see these 3 steps clearly,
compare to a slightly lower product which has 1 step,
and the following products another step higher till i reach 3 steps.
All of which will reach its ultimate of 3 steps.
but the thing is that by having the 3 step product, i can take the same amount of time to reach there while having a clear vision of the 3 steps.
hope im clear abt what i feel :D sry for the confusion

Please do correct me if i'm wrong about anything :D

Fully agreed. It's not a shame to be seen using a low-end or entry model camera while producing good pictures with it.

It would be a shame to be seen using a pro level one while producing lousy pictures with it.

hi thanks for you comment btw.

But this is not my idea of this subject at all. There is no shame what so ever about my 500d. I enjoy it but i feel there are more functions to a better camera that i want to explore at my own pase, but i've mention this in the previous reply,
its nice to have the "entire" range of functions ready at your hands and going at your own pace to explore them.
Compared to having a lower grade camera with limited functions that you can only explore till a certain limit.

I totally understand the concept of " a good picture is produced by a good photographer, not a good camera" :D

just wanted to explore a higher end product at a slower pace :D
thanks once again

You could spend money on lenses first and continue to use your bro's camera. For e.g. an utlra-wide angle lens and macro lens would open up very different possibilities for you and allow you to develop your skills better.

Good advice man. thanks.