should i buy 35/1.4 or 24/1.4 ?

NodhereNodthere

May 17, 2008
both is not cheap .. so can only choose 1 :
i am consider between 24/1.4 or 35/1.4 ..
but 24mm is like too wide ? but its built quality is good.
35mm sound more easy to compose photo, but i heard that is make of plastic? & no ED element ...
please help me think ... thank you

btw, if want to use it for doing wedding with FX camera, 24 or 35mm , which one most likely have its usage huh ?

both would give u amazing IQ.
the perspective of both lenses are very different, go with the focal length you prefer instead of comparing the build and ED elements. unless you are talking about lenses of the same focal length.

Rent both lens and decide for yrself... ;)

for actual day wedding photography, i scare if i go too near take the bride with the 24mm/1.4
she will become fatter .... haha
then siao liao ...

Ask any wedding photographer what prime lens they use bah.... Think you will get your answer.

I use the 35mm f1.4G for wedding shoot most of the time, including the moments and group shootings. For some candid shoots or church weddings, I use the longer prime like 85mm. Some wed photogs prefer to use the 24mm. Depend on your style and which focal length you are comfortable with.

Sry another question... i have D90 with 18 - 200mm lens and 50mm f1.4g.. then should i buy 10-24 mm lens or 17-35mm 0r 17-55mm lens??? very confuse... i like to take portrial and landscape, sometimes group...
Thanks a million

TS if you have a zoom lens like 24-120 or 24-70 try both 24 and 35mm. See what you prefer. Then the answer will be clear.

TS if you have a zoom lens like 24-120 or 24-70 try both 24 and 35mm. See what you prefer. Then the answer will be clear.

:thumbsup:

Both are amazing glasses in their class, ultimately boils down to compositional considerations , which lens most suits your style. 35mm might give a slightly more natural perspective on folks in general compared to 24mm

Ryan

Sry another question... i have D90 with 18 - 200mm lens and 50mm f1.4g.. then should i buy 10-24 mm lens or 17-35mm 0r 17-55mm lens??? very confuse... i like to take portrial and landscape, sometimes group...
Thanks a million

ummm, ummmm, i dono. your 18-200 pretty much does everything. wad issit that you find lacking?

anyways OT liao, better if u start a new thread :D

Last edited:
giantcanopy said:

Both are amazing glasses in their class, ultimately boils down to compositional considerations , which lens most suits your style. 35mm might give a slightly more natural perspective on folks in general compared to 24mm

Ryan

Just to add, 35mm is good to get a wide view but avoid distortions to human subjects. 24mm is much wider and can add much more dynamic feeling to your pics but the tendency for distortion is there and you have to mitigate that with careful composition and placement of your human subjects. In the end you have to decide how you want to shoot nd how you want to compose.

both 24 n 35 1.4g have plastic barrel if i'm not wrong. and 24 1.4g cost alot more.

Thanks a million

18-200 is a all in one lens while 17-55 f2.8 is alot more superior in terms of image quality. but if u are into pro grade primes like 24/1.4, 35/1.4(which should have an even better IQ), i don't think u will need 17-55. instead, 10-24, 14-24 will be a better choice.

18-200 is a all in one lens while 17-55 f2.8 is alot more superior in terms of image quality. but if u are into pro grade primes like 24/1.4, 35/1.4(which should have an even better IQ), i don't think u will need 17-55. instead, 10-24, 14-24 will be a better choice.

IMHO, I think the 14-24 is overkill for a DX cam like the D90.

Agreed. Personally i wouldnt use any of the 2 lenses for weddings because of their AF speed. Having used the 24mm f1.4, slight movement in your subjects will render them OOF. Combined with the fact that its AF is only so-so as compared to the venerable 24-70, keeper rates are quite low unless you are shooting posed shots.

If i had to choose, its the 35mm definitely. 24mm is a specialized lens.

I suggest 24mm for actual day wedding. Most of the time, you will need to take group photos, and there isn't much space to move about. So a wide angle is more suitable.

I don't think there is much distortion at 24mm. The distortion is more noticeable at 20mm or lesser. If you are afraid of distorting the bride, then ask her to stay at the center, where the distortion is the least.

i'm sure there are lots of people using it on D90, 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8 too. :bsmilie:

yes i do agree tat it's abit overkill but it's better than the other way round, but strange enough, i haven't seen anyone say the samething about people using expensive L lens on canon D550D or 60D. :think: :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Common guys.. give me a 14-24 f2.8 DX, 24-70 DX and 70-200 VR2 DX pls... It is not overkill but whether you can afford it or not..