Should I Bring This Russian Camera Back to Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yishengzhengqi

Nov 17, 2005
I am in Korea now.

My wife's uncle is a Korean national team shooting coach.Yesterday when I was drinking with him, he suddenly whipped out a metallic suitcase and said he would give me the camera inside.

When he opened the suitcase, I was dumbfounded cos inside the suitcase were a SLR, some long lenses, a tripod and a few other things. This is a Russian brand that I've never heard before. Initially I was both excited and terrified. But later I realised the chores of carrying this whole set back to Singapore. FIrst of all, I don't know how to use a SLR. (I don't even know how to open the film compartment) Secondly, the camera looks pretty old. I am not sure if it's still working. Thirdly, the whole set including the James Bond-like suitcase weighs at least 5kg.

I consulted a friend and he identified it as Zenit PhotoSniper FS-122.
See here: http://www.zenit-camera.com/photosniper_zenit_camera.htm

What is your view on this? Besides bringing back home and then sell it, which is impossible, what do you think I should do with this camera? Bring back home and learn how to use it? Keep it as an antique? Keep it in case I need to use it someday? Or keep it in Korea till I feel like bringing it back?

Thanks.

Be careful if you want to bring this back to SG. The "hand grip and butt" will get you in trouble at the airport.

No one wants this camera any more. Not in Singapore, not anywhere.

Be careful if you want to bring this back to SG. The "hand grip and butt" will get you in trouble at the airport.

;) don't worry, mine doesnt come with the "pistol". but what you said strikes me: with so many rules at the airport, will the more dangerous parts like the screw drivers or even the tripod be banned for hand carry? if I send it into cargo, will it damage the camera?

check in

;) don't worry, mine doesnt come with the "pistol". but what you said strikes me: with so many rules at the airport, will the more dangerous parts like the screw drivers or even the tripod be banned for hand carry? if I send it into cargo, will it damage the camera?

:sweat: Than it should be OK lar :sweat: just pack it with newspaper and check it in, should be OK

If it's just a normal camera without the pistol grip and the suitcase can fit the carry on luggage specs then carry it on the plane.

Experiment with it in Korea first and see if you would want to use it then decide if you want to bring it back. I assume you have a house in Korea to leave the camera in and if that's the case you don't have to take all of it at one go. Can bring in several pieces at a time so that you don't have to lug it all.

I guess you should bring it back if you have a lot of luggage allowance and if you have a lot of space in your house for a camera that you have no idea how to use, and which nobody cares about.

I am in Korea now.

My wife's uncle is a Korean national team shooting coach.Yesterday when I was drinking with him, he suddenly whipped out a metallic suitcase and said he would give me the camera inside.

When he opened the suitcase, I was dumbfounded cos inside the suitcase were a SLR, some long lenses, a tripod and a few other things. This is a Russian brand that I've never heard before. Initially I was both excited and terrified. But later I realised the chores of carrying this whole set back to Singapore. FIrst of all, I don't know how to use a SLR. (I don't even know how to open the film compartment) Secondly, the camera looks pretty old. I am not sure if it's still working. Thirdly, the whole set including the James Bond-like suitcase weighs at least 5kg.

What is your view on this? Besides bringing back home and then sell it, which is impossible, what do you think I should do with this camera? Bring back home and learn how to use it? Keep it as an antique? Keep it in case I need to use it someday? Or keep it in Korea till I feel like bringing it back?

Thanks.

Bring it back lah.. if you don't use the body nevermind, buy a M42-F-mount adapter and you get a tele lens for free, who cares if it's not AF? ;p 300/4.5 isn't it?

Zenit and Kiev are reputable Russian camera brands. So is China's Seagull.

I am in Korea now.

Saw this camera at antique shop at china square (2nd floor) early this year. Its condition was not acceptable, though it still clicked. This is one heavy camera (front heavy due to long lens barrel) and hand holding would be difficult at this focal length. If you can afford it, bring it back and have fun with it. It's something very different from a normal 35mm. Its a purely mechanical piece of work.

Saw this camera at antique shop at china square (2nd floor) early this year. Its condition was not acceptable, though it still clicked. This is one heavy camera (front heavy due to long lens barrel) and hand holding would be difficult at this focal length. If you can afford it, bring it back and have fun with it. It's something very different from a normal 35mm. Its a purely mechanical piece of work.

thanks man! that was certainly a very important piece of info.

Bring it back lah.. if you don't use the body nevermind, buy a M42-F-mount adapter and you get a tele lens for free, who cares if it's not AF? ;p 300/4.5 isn't it?

Zenit and Kiev are reputable Russian camera brands. So is China's Seagull.

ah.. thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.