Should I advance into DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gr|ever

Nov 3, 2002
Visit site
I've been using a Fuji S602Z prosumer camera for a year & learnt quite abit about photography. But I also realise the limitations of a prosumer camera as compared to a DSLR. Recently, my S602Z broke down :cry: and I was thinking of getting another camera.

DSLRs has becoming more affordable than before. 300D was selling like hotcakes & the upcoming D70 was another (better?) alternative to look out for. It makes me wonder if I should advance in to DSLR level, since I should be getting a new camera soon. Or maybe I should learn more from the prosumer level 1st before proceeding? :dunno: Anyone can gimmie advices?

I know, once you've step in to DSLR, you'll gradually get a few lens. But these lens are really expensive. So it's something I muz really consider carefully. I was wondering, let's say I'm getting a D70 package, including the lens. How useful would the lens be? I'm into taking potraits, landscapes & macro. How much am I gonna spend if I'm concentrating on taking these photos?

Well..you gotta ask yourself..are you really feeling the limit..or most of the time the camera is limiting you to shoot something and you shoot. hmm..if this is true..then consider a DSLR..but then again consider the price and the startup cost ;)

SpitFir3 said:
Well..you gotta ask yourself..are you really feeling the limit..or most of the time the camera is limiting you to shoot something and you shoot. hmm..if this is true..then consider a DSLR..but then again consider the price and the startup cost ;)

How much would these kinda lens cost? What do I look out for in a lens? How do I know if the cheaper lens is more than enough for me? It's all lens questions... :sweat:

lens you can acquire slowly 1 by 1.
starting with a 24-70 then move to ultra wide or telephoto.. or even prime.
piece by piece in 2nd hand mkt is a more affordable solution.

Gr|ever said:
How much would these kinda lens cost? What do I look out for in a lens? How do I know if the cheaper lens is more than enough for me? It's all lens questions... :sweat:

Actually many times u don't really know what's good for you until you try it out. If you got friends who own DSLR with diff lenses, that's the best to start. If not, I'd suggest you go read from Internet or books the many things DSLR can do that your prosumer cannot. I think you might have some good idea by now.

Yes, don't get into the trap of paying thousands for a DSLR body and one intro lens and be stuck there. You need to factor in at least another $1000-2000 for an external flash, more memory cards, perhaps additional battery, and 1 more lens. Not that you can't use the lens provided in the kit, but it's focal length (usually quality also) is limited and I feel the power of using a DSLR lies in the ability to change lenses.

For your interests -- landscape, portrait and macro, 'specialized' lenses exist for all of them. Prices vary but generally to get a very good one, they are much more expensive than your basic lens.

If you have a fair budget to start with to get a DSLR, and think you can afford setting aside another $1000-2000 (at least) for accessories, I think you are good to consider DSLR! The whole idea is not to feel the pinch when you invest in photography. Else you won't enjoy the shoot or worse, you'll consider selling your brand new stuffs at a loss that's not worth every cent, which a good handful of people do if you read the Buy and Sell postings.

Hope that helps! Good luck.

Same considerations for me, I am still using my 602. Maybe you can share what happened to the 602 (PM me? Thanks).

The D70 with the basic lens and some accessories should be less than $2500 but that's still double what you'll pay for a decent prosumer.

As for lens, f3.5-f5.6 zoom lenses are pretty affordable, probably around $500. But when you move to 'pro' range of f2.8 constant, the lens will cost more than the D70 body!

If I do get the D70 (heheh, still hoping), I'll use the kit lens and pay for a Tamron 28-200mm (f3.8-f5.6). That'll be just about $3000 with some change for a bag and a tripod.

A basic setup could be:

-300D with kit lens ~$1800 (a bit more for D70)
-Sigma f4-5.6 70-300 Super Macro II ~$350
-Backup batteries ~$60
-1GB memory card ~$400

-Total ~ $2600

However, other things might start to come in:
-Macro lens ~$500-1000
-50mm f1.8 lens ~$140
-28-200 travel lens ~$400
-Battery grip ~$200
-fast standard zoom lens, e.g. 24-70 or 28-75 f2.8 ~$400-$2k(?)
-fast tele zoom lens, e.g. 70-200 f2.8 ~$700-$3k
-ultra wide zoom, e.g. 12-24 ~$900-$1.2k
-tele primes, e.g. 300mm f2.8
-teleconverters, ~$100-600

mpenza said:
A basic setup could be:

-Sigma f4-5.6 70-400 Super Macro II ~$350
-Backup batteries ~$60
-1GB memory card ~$400

-Total ~ $2600

-Macro lens ~$500-1000
-50mm f1.8 lens ~$140
-Battery grip ~$200

Geez.... I have little idea what these lens can do... or why it's needed in the 1st place. :sweat: The price alone is scaring me away from DSLR already. :bigeyes:

Gr|ever said:
Geez.... I have little idea what these lens can do... or why it's needed in the 1st place. :sweat: The price alone is scaring me away from DSLR already. :bigeyes:
My recommendation (just to counter mpenza :D):
  • D70 kit set (c/w AF-S 18-70 lens giving 27-105mm) - $2.2k (approx)
  • 50mm f/1.8 - $170
  • 1 x 512MB CF $240 1st hand, $180 approx 2nd hand
The above should be sufficient for the first 6 months for you to get used to the DSLR and the new way of shooting.

You can slowly get the other lenses & accessories like:
  • Spare battery - $80 (IIRC) original, $40 OEM (check with Eastgear :) ) - not really needed as the battery last very long; on a 50 f/1.8, someone shot >2k shots on one charge :bigeyes:
  • 1 or 2 GB high speed CF card approx S$480 for 1GB, S$1k for 2GB
  • SB-600 or SB-800 (S$680-S$700) flash
  • AF-S 12-24 DX (S$1.7k)
  • AF-D 80-200 (two touch) (around S$1k for 2nd hand, S$1.7k 1st hand) or
  • AF-S 70-200VR (Around S$3.1)
  • Tamron 90mm Micro (S$600)
and you're all set for most shooting...

mpenza said:
A basic setup could be:

-Sigma f4-5.6 70-400 Super Macro II ~$350
-Backup batteries ~$60
-1GB memory card ~$400

-Total ~ $2600

-Macro lens ~$500-1000
-50mm f1.8 lens ~$140
-Battery grip ~$200

... not forgetting
- external flash
- tripods n ballhead/3way
- RAW software eg. C1, breezebrowser
- remote controller/switch
- portable storage eg. xdrive, nixvue
- bigger bags

And the Personal assistant to carry the reflector, slave flash, watch over the bags, buy Coke and handle the phone calls! Hahahaha.

What are L lens? What makes some lens much more expensive than others when they're basically doing the same thing? What are the factors that are to be considered when purchasing lens?

Pai say... so many questions at 1 go. :sweatsm:

Gr|ever said:
What are L lens? What makes some lens much more expensive than others when they're basically doing the same thing? What are the factors that are to be considered when purchasing lens?

L lenses is a term from Canon that means Luxury lens, they got some expensive elements in the lens with better coatings. they cost an arm an leg to obtain and they certainly weigh more than me. mostly $$$$, in the thousands per lens.

onething to take note off is the weight difference between a DC and DSLR.

simply rip out from canon website: :D

Canon lenses are reknowned for their performance and optical quality. And no lenses have a better reputation among professional photographers than Canon's L-series lenses. Identifiable by a distinctive red ring around their outer barrel, these lenses use special optical technologies Ñ Ultra-low Dispersion UD glass, Super Low Dispersion glass, Fluorite elements, and Aspherical elements Ñ to truly push the optical envelope.

L-series telephoto lenses utilize Canon's UD glass to minimize the effect of chromatic aberration, sometimes called color fringing. UD glass provides outstanding contrast and sharpness in lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8L IS and 300mm f/4.0L IS. Even more effective are fluorite elements, used in high-end super-telephoto lenses like the EF 300mm f/2.8L IS and 400mm f/2.8L IS. A single fluorite element has the corrective power of two UD glass elements, which gives these L-series lenses their spectactular performance.

Wide-angle lenses and fast normal focal-length lenses often suffer from another optical problem Ñ spherical aberration Ñ which causes an overall softening and optical "smearing" of the image. Canon has developed four different manufacturing technologies to produce Aspherical lens elements, which combat this problem. Aspherical optics, which have an extremely precise variable curvature of one or both sides of a lens element, also allow more compact lens designs and permit lighter lenses with fewer elements. Combined with Canon's exclusive multi-coating technology, Super Spectra Coating, and the attention paid to details such as anti-reflective material inside of lens barrels, L-series lenses virtually eliminate internal ghosting and flare.

Many EF telephoto lenses are white, to reduce the amount of internal heat build-up during long shooting in bright sunlight. And the new Image Stabilized super-telephoto L-series lenses add extensive dust-and moisture-resistant seals and gaskets, enabling pros to keep shooting in the worst conditions.

Canon L-series EF lenses are designed and built to meet the needs of the most demanding professional photographers. Their superb optics enable pros and advanced amateurs to have lenses that are the absolute pinnacle of optical performance, and enable lens/speed combinations with professional performance simply not attainable using traditional optical technology.

Gr|ever said:
What are the factors that are to be considered when purchasing lens?

1) your budget
2) your needs
3) your strength to carry your equipment
4) your style of shooting
5) your type of character

i think its good to find a peer with a system or two to let you fiddle around with it to consider blonking down on any system and if you like the feel of a SLR. its better to trust your own instincts than 'hear' what others have to say about any camera.

Take all this with a grain a salt and factor your own views by looking and testing around.

I'm certain SEEDs provide such a venture for you to meet up and hopefully learn more.

i feel you are the 'do reserch' type of person, more careful in spending type.

same here i'm facing problems with which lap top to get for my photography work.

good luck! :D

Gr|ever said:
I've been using a Fuji S602Z prosumer camera for a year & learnt quite abit about photography. But I also realise the limitations of a prosumer camera as compared to a DSLR. Recently, my S602Z broke down :cry: and I was thinking of getting another camera.

DSLRs has becoming more affordable than before. 300D was selling like hotcakes & the upcoming D70 was another (better?) alternative to look out for. It makes me wonder if I should advance in to DSLR level, since I should be getting a new camera soon. Or maybe I should learn more from the prosumer level 1st before proceeding? :dunno: Anyone can gimmie advices?

I know, once you've step in to DSLR, you'll gradually get a few lens. But these lens are really expensive. So it's something I muz really consider carefully. I was wondering, let's say I'm getting a D70 package, including the lens. How useful would the lens be? I'm into taking potraits, landscapes & macro. How much am I gonna spend if I'm concentrating on taking these photos?

Well, here are my 2 cents ;)

Like yourself, i am a S602 user (What happened to yoru 602 BTW? How come it died on you?) and i moved onto a DSLR . I understand your considerations and your concerns, moving into a DSLR (i assume cost being the main factor?)

You would need to think it through carefully. Like what you are going to use the DSLR for. I know i still revert to my 602, or even an A70 for casual snaps since a DSLR and the lenses are quite weighty to lug around.

Top give you an estimate of the cost involved (Price isn't current);

Camera/Accesories
10D + Vert Grip - SGD$2700
Ex550 Flash - SGD$660
Spare Batts x 2- SGD$57
Camera Bag Crumpler/Lowepro - SGD$380

Lenses
50mm F1.8 - SGD$135
85mm F1.8 - SGD$650
20mm F2.8 - SGD$620

While using a DSLR, you will need to know what lenses you need and also work out the balance of what you want and what you can afford. Do not, if possible, buy on installment.

Plan carefully as it can be a long term investment. But ultimately, the camera is just the tool you take great pictures with, don't get too taken with the desire of wanting a DSLR. In fact, i still use my S602 for a few of the fashion shoots i do. :)

Hope i've managed to help. :)

Cheers. :D

This is a very good thread for prosumer dc users who are "on the verge" and wondering the next step to go. I don't think I want to get onto the DSLR bandwagon, nor do I like to lug many lenses around (even if I agree to spend on them), so my question is: is there an alternative to DSLR?

I'm already taking photos in manual mode with S602z, and realised the limitations. What I really would like is an improved model of the S602z - more zoom and wider range of aperture (without tagging on additional lens). Is there such a thing in the market? :rolleyes: :sweat:

Gr|ever said:

Just like what Belle&Sebastain said, it depends on what you really need.
dont spend money on things you do not need.

Status
Not open for further replies.