Should Gaffer tape be tearable, or only cuttable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feinwerkbau

Deregistered
May 11, 2004
Saw this on a rfrence inet site from another CSer.

"Its damn sticky, super wide and you can rip it rather than having to cut it. "

Then I remember other CSers mentioning that real gaffer tape cannot be torn with bard hands, but can only be cut. :bigeyes:

Now I am confused...which is the real gaffer tape we can trust to Bak Zhang our multi thousand dollar babies and be rst assured? :dunno:

You could probably rip it apart if you resemble the hulk. Other than that if you look normal you shouldn't be able to rip it to ensure it's tough.

rippable kind is duct tape liao wor... unless i am wrong... its can be easily mistaken with a gaffer tape.

btw, just think about it, if your hands can rip it, mean your finger nails may punch a hole in it = need more than 1 layer or its not durable...

Feinwerkbau said:
Saw this on a rfrence inet site from another CSer.

"Its damn sticky, super wide and you can rip it rather than having to cut it. "

Then I remember other CSers mentioning that real gaffer tape cannot be torn with bard hands, but can only be cut. :bigeyes:

Now I am confused...which is the real gaffer tape we can trust to Bak Zhang our multi thousand dollar babies and be rst assured? :dunno:

Real gaffer tapes are very strong tapes and can take lots of tension, and yes you can almost do tug of war with it. :sweat:

However, when working in a studio or theatre, carrying an extra scissors or cutter can be a hassle, esp when you're 8 metres off the ground. The beauty of these Pro grade gaffers allows you to actually tear it with your fingers both length-wise and breath-wise. This is because of the polyester fibre nature of the tape.

A crude analogy would be your typical Twisties, Doritos or Potato chips packet. The plastic is quite tough to even stretch, but if you know to where and how to tear, it's quite an easy task.

When I first did the MO for gaffer tapes in feb last year, there were about 8 orders for the tape. More CSers are confident with this product now and the number of orders have grown - the last MO, I brought in 62 rolls of black tape, and I have a waiting list now, not counting those who've included their names on the last MO list in consumer section.

Does it leave a sticky gluey gum after it is torn off sometime later when i decide to sell the camera?

The only time I remember using such tape on a camera was when I made a pin-hole camera, to make sure that light doesn't leak in!

canturn said:
Real gaffer tapes are very strong tapes and can take lots of tension, and yes you can almost do tug of war with it. :sweat:

However, when working in a studio or theatre, carrying an extra scissors or cutter can be a hassle, esp when you're 8 metres off the ground. The beauty of these Pro grade gaffers allows you to actually tear it with your fingers both length-wise and breath-wise. This is because of the polyester fibre nature of the tape.

A crude analogy would be your typical Twisties, Doritos or Potato chips packet. The plastic is quite tough to even stretch, but if you know to where and how to tear, it's quite an easy task.

When I first did the MO for gaffer tapes in feb last year, there were about 8 orders for the tape. More CSers are confident with this product now and the number of orders have grown - the last MO, I brought in 62 rolls of black tape, and I have a waiting list now, not counting those who've included their names on the last MO list in consumer section.

there are too many brands/types of gaffer tapes in the marketplace. to clear the confusion for myself and others, what is the brand and type, if relevant, of your gaffer tapes you brought in. thanks.

Having worked in a theater using professional gaffer's tape. I can assure you that REAL gaffers tape can be torn with your hands. As mentioned, both length and breath-wise. That is the beauty of it. Plus the fact that it does not leave a sticky residue behind.

Fun Fact: Did you know that theater/performing arts groups in the Esplanade are required to use professional gaffer's tape in the concert hall and theater.

Tzuen said:
Having worked in a theater using professional gaffer's tape. I can assure you that REAL gaffers tape can be torn with your hands. As mentioned, both length and breath-wise. That is the beauty of it. Plus the fact that it does not leave a sticky residue behind.

Fun Fact: Did you know that theater/performing arts groups in the Esplanade are required to use professional gaffer's tape in the concert hall and theater.

could you please enlighten me. what are gaffer tapes used for in theatre and concert halls settings?

reachme2003 said:
could you please enlighten me. what are gaffer tapes used for in theatre and concert halls settings?

in theatres they are used to tape the wires down onto the floor or wall.. example a mic from the stand to the socket on the floor... but for our cameras, it is to protect the camera from being scratched or being recognised.

reachme2003 said:

As Tzuen has mentioned, there are only a few brands of tapes that you can used inside places like Esplanade, and they are extremely sticky about it (no puns intended).

Apollo (the one I bring in) and Permacel (about $52 per roll :sweat: ) are the ones that among the list of 'approved' tapes.

Unless you need tapes that has high thermal or chemical resistence plus reusebility, you won't need Permacel. So long you're not shooting a volcano during an eruption with a 14mm lens or running your equipment through acidic medium, Apollo should suffice :D

canturn said:
As Tzuen has mentioned, there are only a few brands of tapes that you can used inside places like Esplanade, and they are extremely sticky about it (no puns intended).

Apollo (the one I bring in) and Permacel (about $52 per roll :sweat: ) are the ones that among the list of 'approved' tapes.

Unless you need tapes that has high thermal or chemical resistence plus reusebility, you won't need Permacel. So long you're not shooting a volcano during an eruption with a 14mm lens or running your equipment through acidic medium, Apollo should suffice :D

thank you very much.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
canturn, just thinking, the permacel 1, how high the temperature can it withstand? fireproof?

Are you trying to bake your camera in the oven? :dunno:

Hmm....... so whats the advantages of using good gaffer ?

I use "gaffer" on my equipment too... but I'm not sure if mine is the real thing.
I bought it at Bunnings (huge hardware shop chain in AUstralia), and mine clearly states Gaffer Tape. It seems to be threaded on the inside, its black and looks textured. The material on the outside is a little shiny, smooth, but textured due to the internal threads. It does not leave residue.

Any disadvantages of cheap gaffer ? $9/roll.

marcwang said:
Hmm....... so whats the advantages of using good gaffer ?

I use "gaffer" on my equipment too... but I'm not sure if mine is the real thing.
I bought it at Bunnings (huge hardware shop chain in AUstralia), and mine clearly states Gaffer Tape. It seems to be threaded on the inside, its black and looks textured. The material on the outside is a little shiny, smooth, but textured due to the internal threads. It does not leave residue.

Any disadvantages of cheap gaffer ? $9/roll.

Not sure what brand you're using. The problem is that the term "gaffer" is so loosely used these days to refer to tapes that can be used to stick on equipment; so long they are black and can stick and wrap your equipment, they're called gaffers.

Using the caviar analogy. Strictly speaking "caviar" is a delicacy that comes from the roe of sturgeons and cost $50USD per teaspoon. Nowadays, you can find "caviar" in NTUC that cost only $5 for a big tin, which in actual fact is roe from lumpfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.