Should DVD Writers be used as readers too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

May 7, 2002
Lost
Visit site
I was reading somewhere that intensive usage on the writer as a reader too causes problems..

Any comments? :dunno:

if I am using a PC, then I won't mind paying another S$30 just to get an extra CD ROM. However, since I am using notebook...I don't have time and don't like the trouble to change drive when I want to just read a disc or play a movie...

Read and write and read and read will definitely reduce the life span of the DVD RW...but I buy it to use and not to trouble myself... :think:

if you are using a PC, then just get a cheap DVD-ROM drive for watching movies lor

btw, DVD-ROM drives can red much faster than DVD-writers, so it will be faster for ripping or seeking of chapters

i dun care 1, have been using my cdrw drive for nearly 2 years as reader/writer liao. now using my dvdrw as reader/writer for dvds as well

anyway nowadays dvdrw at cheap now, below $200 only and can last for 1 year

im also using a separate dvd-rom for reading cd/dvd and watching movie. dvd writer is just for writing. besides, it also comes handy to have to two drives for disk-to-disk copy.

Technically speaking, there is no contact between cd/dvd with the reader, so using it to read shouldn't do any harm. However, wear and tear might apply. I also don't care about it, since by the time it spoilt after warranty, should be very cheap already.

I think the major wear and tear will be the life span of that laser that is beaming on the CD/DVD, and the motor that spins the disks.
But I believe the drive will be more worth it if it used till worn out and dies off rather then sitting there for months and by the time u want to burn something then u realise that the lens also collected too much dust to perform any read/write liao. And it is not easy to clean the lens. That will be more heart pain.

I decided to buy both :) lol ... :bsmilie:

frankly speaking.

I think things that you buy should be used as it was meant to be.

If it was designed to read & write .... why not?

Its like buying a top notch camera and you don't use it at all. Its not only a waste of money but an insult to the designers. After all their effort to design the camera..all u do is display it in the cabinet.

Just use it... or else why did you buy it in the first place?

if it spoils... better still (gd excuse to buy a new one ;) )

romeo said:
I decided to buy both :) lol ... :bsmilie:

Good move Romeo ,Ive allways had separate cd rom /cdrw and dvd rom / dvdrw drives (except in my laptop ) its a lot easier to use the faster rom drives for installing progs ,transfering data ,watching films etc and the writer drives for writing or occasionaly reading discs with sub channel data .
The rom drives are pretty cheap compared to writer drives so it makes sense to have both and also gives you the option of disc to disc duplication if required .
Still each to their own it depends on what you want or need to do really .

The only issue specific to reading is slightly faster wear-off as mentioned by other members. Nowdays things get upgraded faster then replaced due to failure. So Just use it..... :)

But if you duplicate DVDs often then getting separate ROM drive will
reduce the time significantly as the it takes time to write 4+ GB of
data to HDD.

hahaha... we're like a bunch of "quack doctors"!!! :bsmilie:

my 2cents worth... if can need and afford a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, makes good sense to buy one to complement the DVD-RW.

DVD-ROM can read feaster, and will help reduce the wear on the more expensive DVD-RW. From what I understand (correct me if i'm wrong guys), the use of DVD-RW to read VCDs or CDs will also shorten the life of your lens in your DVD-RW.

Cactus jACK said:
hahaha... we're like a bunch of "quack doctors"!!! :bsmilie:

my 2cents worth... if can need and afford a DVD-ROM or CD-ROM, makes good sense to buy one to complement the DVD-RW.

DVD-ROM can read feaster, and will help reduce the wear on the more expensive DVD-RW. From what I understand (correct me if i'm wrong guys), the use of DVD-RW to read VCDs or CDs will also shorten the life of your lens in your DVD-RW.

What u understand is correct...However.

The lifespan of the lens or Motor of the the DVDRW or DVDROM for that mattar...is Probably longer than the time u take to upgrade your PC.

Which is probably 3 years or more...unless ur drive is spinning Constantly 24hrs a day (i.e. Reading or writing discs..non stop)

CDROM Drives SERVERS which are like a STACK of CDROMs....with CDs inside them for Hundreds of users or thousands to Access them over the LAN...

They are constantly in use Longer than most home users ever use their DVD drives...and Yet They can last for years ...

So I dont think the lifespan of the lens/laser or motor shld bother u until u upgrade.

For that mattar,....ANY one here Experienced a Drive failure as a result of Using UP the lifespan of the lens or motor?

My LCD Panel rated 50,000 hrs...even at 24hrs non-stop. Thats 5.7 Years...
By then.....LCDs will be soooo cheap i can just replace it w/o a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.