should 70-200 lens be attached to dslr body when ...

tiago

Mar 9, 2011
hi,

should a long lens like a 70-200mm be kept attached to the dslr body when keeping in the dry cabinet or should it be detached?

what about when transporting it. i actually don't want to fiddle with the camera on location. i prefer to set it up at home and just take out the camera when it's time to shoot. but read somewhere that with such a heaving lens, it is best to hold the thing by the lens and not the body. i am using the backpack with a side quick open feature. so i have to grab the camera by the body. is it safe or i am just worrying too much? is there a better way?

hi,

should a long lens like a 70-200mm be kept attached to the dslr body when keeping in the dry cabinet or should it be detached?

what about when transporting it. i actually don't want to fiddle with the camera on location. i prefer to set it up at home and just take out the camera when it's time to shoot. but read somewhere that with such a heaving lens, it is best to hold the thing by the lens and not the body. i am using the backpack with a side quick open feature. so i have to grab the camera by the body. is it safe or i am just worrying too much? is there a better way?

If your dry cabinet is big enough then why not? Just store it attached. For balance, the strap might be attached to the tripod collar.

you're worrying too much. unless you're using a lower-end body, then carrying the set-up by the body is just asking for it.

i do carry around my camera with a 70-200 by the body and not holding on to the lens and so far...nothing's broken off.

i just prefer to detach and keep separate in my dry cabinet...not enough space to keep it attached.

For short periods of time (like when taking it out of your bag), it is fine.

Nothing to worry about but keep your balance.

hi,

you are worry too much, I'm sure you can find many photographers doing this..

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/Lowepro-Photo-Trekker-II-AW-Camera-Backpack-Review.aspx

My small 3M plastic hooks where I paste on my kitchen wall has a rating of 5kg........I am pretty sure our DSLR is not tofu and they have metal mount some more. Engineering plastics is a lot tougher than my kitchen 3M hooks..........Don't worry, the Canon/Nikon guys are not as dumb as they look.....

i wouldnt worry so much abt the 70-200, unless is one of those huge telephotos primes, than its something to worry if u on a entry level body....

So far, attaching the 70-200 to my entry level DSLR body has not given me any worries or problems since it faces downwards all the time when stored in a camera bag... And I do bring it out a lot. Yes, when in shooting mode never hold the body without holding the lens - something is probably going to give in the long run if you do it often. I still see people doing it this way... that F-mount is going to suffer!

If you have little to no lens changing requirement, why not? When I go out, I'll always keep the first use lens or the longest lens attached.