shots of the sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabilmust

Sep 19, 2007
Because I've a friend in Europe now on exchange, and she says the skies in that part of the world are always nicer, and because I want to prove her wrong, a quick question on what lens(es) are good for taking shots of the sky.

And also because I've seen some on the galleries on CS and they are frankly quite breathtaking.

p.s. it's not just landscape photography. More like the horizon is only a third of the frame, while the sky fills the rest.

Thanks in advance.

Because I've a friend in Europe now on exchange, and she says the skies in that part of the world are always nicer, and because I want to prove her wrong, a quick question on what lens(es) are good for taking shots of the sky.

And also because I've seen some on the galleries on CS and they are frankly quite breathtaking.

p.s. it's not just landscape photography. More like the horizon is only a third of the frame, while the sky fills the rest.

Thanks in advance.

Any decent wide angle lens is good if the sky is good. Shoot around 3pm where there's maximum polarization of the atmosphere due to the position of the sun. Shoot with the sun behind you but I think you can forget about this period where the sky is overcast almost everyday.. ;p

your friend is correct, local sky is badly polluted, and also our sky here are thinner.

any lens and do a job well, best is just a wide angle, you also need a PL CIR filter, you have to wait for a sunny day, and the position of the sun should at your left or right when you use the PL filter.

I would not recommend using a GND filter, in fact including PL CIR as well, cos if you want to make a comparison, you should shoot the sky as it is, and not a PSed photo.

Any decent wide angle lens is good if the sky is good. Shoot around 3pm where there's maximum polarization of the atmosphere due to the position of the sun. Shoot with the sun behind you but I think you can forget about this period where the sky is overcast almost everyday.. ;p

wow, thanks! never knew about 3p.m. before. But now i'm going to make full use of it.

your friend is correct, local sky is badly polluted, and also our sky here are thinner.

I'll have to try my luck and wait for that one day when it happens.

... you also need a PL CIR filter...
...I would not recommend using a GND filter...

OK, here I'll have to ask what the abbreviations refer to because I'm new and I have no clue. :embrass:

PL CIR = polariser circular?
I haven't a clue as to the GND bit though.. help please?

I'll have to try my luck and wait for that one day when it happens.

OK, here I'll have to ask what the abbreviations refer to because I'm new and I have no clue. :embrass:

PL CIR = polariser circular?
I haven't a clue as to the GND bit though.. help please?

graduated neutral density

graduated neutral density

Whoopdidoo i just went to wikipedia and found out just as much. heh. Wikipedia makes ignorance almost unforgivable - provided it's accurate.

Solved the mystery of CPL as well.

But thanks anyway!

Actually, I would tend to agree with your friend.

And if we are talking about sunsets, a more polluted atmosphere will actually cause the colours to take on more brilliant reds. So in a way, its not a good trade-off, beatiful sunsets due to poor air quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.