Shots from Weardale in IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jed

Jan 19, 2002
UK
Visit site
Did something else for a change this afternoon (namely, other than shoot ducks). Played around with my 89B Wratten that I picked up ages ago and only now got around to using... unfortunately, we're not quite fully into spring yet so a lot of the trees are still bare, hence the infrared effect isn't apparent on the trees. Also, it really wasn't that sunny... so the effect is somewhat muted, but enjoy anyway:

wear1.jpg

wear2.jpg

wear3.jpg

wear4.jpg

wear5.jpg

wear6.jpg

wear7.jpg

wear8.jpg

I'm really, really pleased with this shot... for starters, it actually looks properly infrared (some of the others just look like snow because the grass is the only thing really reflecting lots of infrared). Personally anyway I really like it pictorally as well, as a found still life. You can see a full resolution version here. Warning, it's a large, 2.2Mb file, but the detail is lovely, and certainly better than I've ever got from HIE!

wear9.jpg

On the first two in this post, it's probably a good thing the trees were leafless or the shots wouldn't work!

ok I digged this out :bsmilie:

Jed can talk something about your workflow in IR photography? btw, yr CCD at last year was dirty liao!

haha... ur IR photography seems to have turned into "snowfield" photography..

:D

Wah, this very old leh. Sure Tom, ask away.

What's yr setting for these pics? Any touching the PS or just converted to b/w?

The pictures come out of the camera completely flat because the IR blocking filter on the cameras mean that very little light reaches the CCD/CMOS. A levels adjustment (auto works fine, although you might want to avoid clipping some highlights manually) sorts it out perfectly fine. No I didn't convert to B&W, I shot in B&W. Taking in colour produced very weird results, not in any way similar to EIR film. Primarily because of the IR blocking filter, the visible red end of the spectrum is too strong.

wah..so cheem..

eh..if a noob explain like this>>

>>"use IR filter make pictures RED. so change mode to B&W or use B&W film so as not to get red photographs...just black n white of a different reflection"

is he wrong? (noob is me.)

Not quite. The thing is with a digital SLR with an IR blocking filter in front of the CCD, you can't shoot with a red filter because the visible red will overwhelm the image. You have to shoot with an 89b or similar, visually opaque IR filter.

Jed yr DSLR can do b/w shooting? Or u used film? Let's say if i use a DC (e.g. A70) to do IR, shall I switch to b/w mode (since there is such a mode)?

Originally posted by tomshen
Jed yr DSLR can do b/w shooting? Or u used film? Let's say if i use a DC (e.g. A70) to do IR, shall I switch to b/w mode (since there is such a mode)?

Most digital cameras have an in-camera B&W mode, D1x included. Best to set it to B&W mode, attach IR filter then shoot. Easier to evaluate the results. Otherwise there's a strong red cast.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Most digital cameras have an in-camera B&W mode, D1x included. Best to set it to B&W mode, attach IR filter then shoot. Easier to evaluate the results. Otherwise there's a strong red cast.

Regards
CK
No, Canon DSLRs dun have b/w mode. Maybe they think software can do it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.