Shot Of A Cook - Critiques needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
Edited after reading the Thread given
I will like feedback on the composition.
I have composed the picture this way because I want to show the cook in a "dark" photo.
I will like feedback on photography techniques.
The following is the camera settings used to photograph this picture.
1/800th f 8 Approx Iso about 320
I have chosen this aperture/shutter speed/exposure compensation because I want
to show the fire and cook only.

Is the fire considered blown for you then? Does the cook need to be as bright as the fire? or brighter than the fire?
Does the picture look good on overall?

Thank you

590732932l.jpg

You basically had achieved what you wanted to do, and overall it's a nice photo, and to me, it appears to be well composed. But personally, I find the photo is a little too dark and that taken away some of the details of the background or even foreground, cause if you didn't title it 'Shot of a Cook', will any viewer knows immediately that is a Cook in the photo?

It is not bad a picture but I think you should show the cook. Details like his clothing and even face are difficult to identify here. But if you expose the cook well, the fire may become blown. Maybe flash then?

Ahh...a Chef at his art!

I tend to agree somewhat with the others about exposing the chef a little more. Try some post work and see if that helps.

Perhaps you might want to consider a tighter crop to show up the chef more, if he is the main subject. Right now, it's more like 'Shot of Fire with small man beside'.

i would have also shot it from different angles...some from a little behind and to the side, and some from in front to capture the chef through the fire. Could make for dramatic results.

Just my 2 cents and no offense.

While you have achieved the shot you wanted, a chef and his art, do consider about what the picture should be conveying. Your shot reminded me of ratatouille. The movie had many emotions captured with respect to the environment, and in your picture, there seem to lack emotion. The chef was capture eyes close (or small). Maybe a tighter crop to give a little depth and contrast between the fiery heat of the fire and the fiery passion of the chef would make the photo "POP" out more. *think cook shows on cable*
Of course it's not gonna be easy to catch one with all smiles with the experience that most chef cook without any expressions unlike celebrity cook shows on tv.. :bsmilie:

maybe a fill flash set at 1/3 power could help.

otherwise, i quite like it.

edit:

actually, forget 1/3 power on the flash. it probably won't sync at shutter speeds faster than 1/250.

You probably need to show some environment, especially the food, if you want to show "cook and fire". Especially a pan or something to identify cooks with. To me, it looks like the subject (the man) is trying to put out a huge fire with a ladle.

:)Hey, i would prefer a slighting bigger, and maybe shorter picture. Furthermore, it would help if the picture was taken in a brighter place. IMHO, there should be more light on the chef.

ok thanks for the comments people. i have used flash on another shot but deleted it immediately because, it became a very bright picture and it was not even nice. the whole picture was sort of all white, which became like a normal photo.

ok i will zoom in more the next time and brigthen up. but u see, if i zoom in more than the current picture already, i cannot catch both of them. its either the fire or the cook gone. i must switch to horizontal shooting which i think does not appeal to people for these type of portraits.

ok thanks for the comments people. i have used flash on another shot but deleted it immediately because, it became a very bright picture and it was not even nice. the whole picture was sort of all white, which became like a normal photo.

ok i will zoom in more the next time and brigthen up. but u see, if i zoom in more than the current picture already, i cannot catch both of them. its either the fire or the cook gone. i must switch to horizontal shooting which i think does not appeal to people for these type of portraits.

Use the flash ev... drop it down to get a fill-in flash instead of a blanket white light all over... try it and you'll get the idea....

love the concept n the fire :)

i think the much blackness on the btm can be cropped out, n if part of the fire wasn't cut out :)
but it's quite good le :p should ask the chef stand neared lolx so can see his face,
but not like he wants to get burnt.

i think the much blackness on the btm can be cropped out, n if part of the fire wasn't cut out :)
but it's quite good le :p should ask the chef stand neared lolx so can see his face,

I don't think the chef is being hired as the model :bsmilie: should be some kind of trip then got this sight.

Actually did you try zooming with your feet? You could try going around the fire and shoot from from another direction.. Try walking about with the viewfinder and locate an angle to snap.. the fire can take up a huge part of the photo and out of focus to give it some "authority" while a 3/4 crop of the chef behind the fire might give it a "heroic" look in the picture.. well, that's if you have space to move around as YMMV.

Just throwing some ideas around if you have a chance to shoot it again..

First of all, watch your composition. The picture is slanted which immediately gives a very distracting feel. This can be seen by the pillar in the background, too slanting. Or you can clone/burn away the pillar since the bg is black, its really very eye catchy that candy pillar lol

The fire is indeed good but perhaps you should not have cropped too tightly unlike some other suggestions, but this is just personal opinions/preference.

You might consider shooting a little wider because:
-u want to include the fire as a whole to show its size fully as compared to the chef

-u can show the environment the cook is in (placing your subject in a photo where he is more familiar with - the kitchen!)

-can try landscape for a different composition because the top and bottom empty spaces doesn't help much to convey the feel of the cook and fire. the lines do lead the eye to the fire but not expressive enough.

:thumbsup: for the metering that you chose :)

First of all, watch your composition. The picture is slanted which immediately gives a very distracting feel. This can be seen by the pillar in the background, too slanting. Or you can clone/burn away the pillar since the bg is black, its really very eye catchy that candy pillar lol

The fire is indeed good but perhaps you should not have cropped too tightly unlike some other suggestions, but this is just personal opinions/preference.

You might consider shooting a little wider because:
-u want to include the fire as a whole to show its size fully as compared to the chef

-u can show the environment the cook is in (placing your subject in a photo where he is more familiar with - the kitchen!)

-can try landscape for a different composition because the top and bottom empty spaces doesn't help much to convey the feel of the cook and fire. the lines do lead the eye to the fire but not expressive enough.

:thumbsup: for the metering that you chose :)

thanks,what do u mean metering i chose? how do u know what metering i use ?

If i made the pillar straight in the background, then the lines in the foreground (table) wont be really diagonal and both the fire and man wont be straight.

Actually did you try zooming with your feet? You could try going around the fire and shoot from from another direction.. Try walking about with the viewfinder and locate an angle to snap.. the fire can take up a huge part of the photo and out of focus to give it some "authority" while a 3/4 crop of the chef behind the fire might give it a "heroic" look in the picture.. well, that's if you have space to move around as YMMV.

Just throwing some ideas around if you have a chance to shoot it again..

yeah this was the best shot from all m different standing points, walked nearer, further...etc. Had to wait for about 10 mins for this fire to come out. It was taken in the outdoors.

thanks. lol his face expression was scared in all the other photos.

thanks,what do u mean metering i chose? how do u know what metering i use ?

If i made the pillar straight in the background, then the lines in the foreground (table) wont be really diagonal and both the fire and man wont be straight.

meaning meter for the light instead of the overall exposure. such that only the face is partially exposed by the fire. good mood and the 'ambient' light haha

clone away the pillar in the background i suggest, its quite an eye candy literally looking at its colour. its in between the chef and the fire too, breaks the connection between him and his subject. :)

ok thanks guys. dont really need to improve the pic then. except the pillar at the back. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.