Shot in RAW But Picture Always Not Sharp

jacky599r

Jan 16, 2012
I am a beginner who is trying to get serious and improve my shooting skills which sucked badly. I own a GF3 previously but have upgraded to an OMD EM5 but retained my old 14-45 and 25/1.4 pancake lens. Recently, i came back from my Europe trip but was despaired with the results of my photos. Having understood the power of shooting in RAW, all my shots were taken in that format so i could have better leeway to save badly taken shots. Notwithstanding my poor composition, may i ask if RAW needs further processing to yield sharper results? I asked because many of my landscape photos were not sharp; i was wondering if it was due to diffraction or because i have not converted the files. I intend to print some photos for my new house but looks like a failure. DAMN!

sadly it sounds like user related problems. maybe post a few shots ?

RAW definitely needs processing. Jpegs normally are sharpened to a certain extent in-camera, while raw does none of those. So any flaw with ur lens or focusing is pretty obvious.

For landscapes, depending on your aperture and focus, you don't necessarily get everything sharp. There's also things like iso noise, handheld blur, or the scene ain't clear enough.

Sometimes a little post processing does the trick, other times you need to improve on your shooting fundamentals. ..

Plus do you really think you'll notice those small differences in print?

Hahah, sad to say, i pretty much think it is my prob. I read some articles for landscape and had the mindset of going for the smallest aperture but did not consider issues like diffraction. My focus was not one third of the screen and i was shooting the scenes with no stands. I dont know why but the RAW image that appeared in Lightroom was much blurry than pictures i took with GF3. I will post a plain RAW converter image and let you guys feedback.

Using Aperture priority? Might have stopped down so low that the shutter was too long -> thus hand shake blur.

@TheLoneRanger: I read that and was thinking of using it to rescue my shady image :(

@Shin89: Yeah, set to A and many a times f18-22. Damn

if you are shooting with wideangle lens and noting in foreground, you can get away with f8, and most of the time f11 is good enough,
and if you are serious about shooting with landscape, shoot with tripod, even your shutter speed is fast enough to do handheld, cos with tripod will slow you down and you will pay more attention on composition, lighting, exposure and focusing.

TS: Do you think the quality of delivered food would be affected by the type of car / transport used? (Assuming the food is properly sealed etc.) But that's what you try to achieve: overcoming obvious quality issues with framing and focusing by tinkering with the recorded data - when the problem is already caused by things happening before the recording happens.
RAW always needs conversion and proicessing. It seems you only heard about 'RAW is better' and flipped the switch without understanding what that means for your workflow. I suggest you go back to JPG and forget the RAW files. Get the basics right: composition, exposure, focusing. Once this is there you can worry about the next steps. The root cause of the problems is neither the file format nor the camera, it's right behind the viewfinder.