Shortest shutter lag on Digital Cams. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kthan

May 6, 2003
www.picturecd.com
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a website which comapres the shutter lag on consumer/prosumer digital cameras?

Thanks

Eric

kthan said:
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a website which comapres the shutter lag on consumer/prosumer digital cameras?

Thanks

Eric

Tested one of RICOH digital cam at IT show and has very fast shutter speed, much faster than my Canon A80. Forgotten the model though.

Just a little side note.

DSLRs have low lag bcoz they focus fast. i think the problem with digicams is not with the shutter but with the focussing.

i think you're looking for something that focuses fast, right? Some of the smaller digicams (Casio Exilim?) get around the shutter lag by using a very small wide angle lens and tiny aperture, thus everything is by default 'in focus', and hence an 'incredibly fast' shutter with little lag (since they do little or no focussing).

w.s : yep, the F10 looks good but think it doesn't have full manual control. it is essentially a point and shoot. The size is perfect though.

Jeff : i'll go check it out

ST1100: I dunno if i am indeed looking for something that focuses fast. I hate the shutter lag on my C-5050 so essentially, i am looking at something with less lag. If faster focus = minimal shutter lag, then yes. I am looking for an ultra compact dc with excellent shutter lag and full manual control. Would be great if it uses CF and AA batteries, but the latter are not so impt now.

Tks.

Anyone knows if such a comparision website exists?

CoolPix 5900 :heart: :heart: :lovegrin:

ST1100 said:
DSLRs have low lag bcoz they focus fast. i think the problem with digicams is not with the shutter but with the focussing.

jeffhiew said:
Tested one of RICOH digital cam at IT show and has very fast shutter speed, much faster than my Canon A80. Forgotten the model though.

Shutter lag is the period between the time when the shutter is fully pressed and when the picture is actually taken - it is quite different from focusing speed (since focusing has already taken place) or shutter speed (since shutter speed is variable depending on exposure whereas shutter lag is constant).

kthan said:
Hi

Thanks

Eric

If you need low shutter lag, you can try hyper focus. Eg: on my Canon A80, I've hyper focus preset and saved at C1 and C2. So, when switched to either of these modes, my camera will skip auto-focus and get instant shutter release. But need to take note that there is aminimum focus distance, so on mine the minimum distance is 1.8m onwards.

As for that RICOH tested at the IT Show, it has low shutter lag too and doesn't seems to be using hyper focus. I've no idea how RICOH overcome this for a P&S.

melnjes said:
Shutter lag is the period between the time when the shutter is fully pressed and when the picture is actually taken - it is quite different from focusing speed (since focusing has already taken place) or shutter speed (since shutter speed is variable depending on exposure whereas shutter lag is constant).

Yep, but my (not-so-clear) point was that some of the shutter lag is really focussing lag, as evidenced by many digicams able to shoot 'instantly' when prefocussed or in manual focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.