Shorter lens hood for Tamron 180mm Macro

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
I'm looking for a shorter lens hood for this lens. The default one is very long, 4 inches. Too long when I use extension tubes or macro adapters. Anyone knows where I can get a shorter non-flower one?

the purpose and design of the lens hood is to block stray light from hitting the front element thus preventing lens flare

the length of the hood is optimised to block as much light as possible
if you use a shorter lens hood you might as well remove the whole hood

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I understand that. I'm using the lens hood for other purposes at night for external attachments, and also have macro adapters or extension tubes which shortern the maximum focusing distance to a position shorter than the length of the current hood. Thats why I'm looking to see if there's a shorter hood.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I understand that. I'm using the lens hood for other purposes at night for external attachments, and also have macro adapters or extension tubes which shortern the maximum focusing distance to a position shorter than the length of the current hood. Thats why I'm looking to see if there's a shorter hood.

You mean you attach things to the lens hood?

You mean you attach things to the lens hood?

Yes. I have multiple lamps attached to my hood. Works great if I don't use my macro adapters, but the hood is too long if I focus any nearer.

Yes. I have multiple lamps attached to my hood. Works great if I don't use my macro adapters, but the hood is too long if I focus any nearer.

You could look for a generic rubber hood or third party hood that attaches to the filter thread. This way you are not limited by the bayonet mount of the Tamron lens itself. Go to OP and look for these.

You could look for a generic rubber hood or third party hood that attaches to the filter thread. This way you are not limited by the bayonet mount of the Tamron lens itself. Go to OP and look for these.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Silly as it may sound, I had considered those options but they did not work for me because my macro adaptor does not end with a screw thread and it is stepped down to 55mm. Rubber ones did not work well because I needed a solid hood that can hold the tension (rubber tying) and weight of the attachments.

Thats why I'm wondering if there's any hood that fits such a requirement. May drop down to some shops to check it out too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Silly as it may sound, I had considered those options but they did not work for me because my macro adaptor does not end with a screw thread and it is stepped down to 55mm. Rubber ones did not work well because I needed a solid hood that can hold the tension (rubber tying) and weight of the attachments.

Thats why I'm wondering if there's any hood that fits such a requirement. May drop down to some shops to check it out too.

Honestly I doubt you will find one that fits the bayonet mount exactly. John 3:16 does have a stash of spare miscellaneous hoods lying around. Perhaps you can drop by mid-afternoon when they are less busy and ask.

sounds dangerously front heavy and unstable

why not consider mounting your lamps on a flash bracket instead

Agree with Ortega. Plastic bayonet mounts can wear out along the edges resulting in a looser fit. At worst, your light kit may just drop off. I would prefer a bracket mounted to my camera base if I needed such a set-up.

For some reason, rigid screw-in metal hoods were never in fashion here. Your best bet is US or HK markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.