Shopping online

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Tempted to buy some glasses from B&H or Adorama via VPOST... I have two questions:

1. Any reason for not to get "Grey market" or "Imported" ones?

2. If I get the "5 year US warranty" (typically US$50 to US$100 more), if something screws up, what can I do? If send to Nikon Singapore for repair, will it be entertained? And what will the charges be like?

3. Is the journey from the US to here safe?

Kum sia...

Being kiasu. Some people need to have "all inclusive" to cover all possibilities so that they have somebody to complain to and demand free repair (usually the Service Center).
2. If I get the "5 year US warranty" (typically US$50 to US$100 more), if something screws up, what can I do? If send to Nikon Singapore for repair, will it be entertained? And what will the charges be like?
Although some guys in US think they own the world (and think it's just the same), usually Service Centers don't follow that idea. US warranty covers US territory only (should be explained in the fine prints on the website, Amazon has it), everything else is called "International Warranty". Charges can be checked that local websites of all brands.
Depends, 'lah. If UPS takes A380 you might find engine components in the lens. If using cargo ships via Europa some Somali pirate might enjoy your flash. But ... there is so much stuff that arrives from US here every day .. don't know what you are asking for. :dunno:
Of course, Singapore custom will hijack the package and demand 7% before releasing it :)

Tempted to buy some glasses from B&H or Adorama via VPOST... I have two questions:

Kum sia...

Seems you have three question...I think it not a problem,but i still suggest you not buy this...

Kum sia...

Why you want to buy a non-warranty set in the first place?
If you buy cam overseas, local NSC will not entertain you. For lens, need to check if it is international warranty.
If you think you want to save 10-15% to buy a lens/cam from US without local warranty, it is your choice. No one can answer if the journey from US to here is safe, but you can check if there is additional insurance coverage to send from US to SG in case you find a broken lens or cam when you open up the box. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
also take note of GST charges on goods if exceed $400 inclusive of postage and item value.

Why u need to ship via VPOST. BH and Adorama ships to SG.

And you really wanna trust VPOST with lenses?

BH pack thier stuff really solid, I would assume adorama does too, from others that have ordered from them.

don't think there's a need for the 5 year warranty, but that's just me. If it makes u feel safer than go ahead.

Kum sia...

1. it is up to you to weigh the savings versus risk you are taking. of course, this doesn't mean that your lens may necessarily spoil, but in the case that it does, you would be glad to have a warranty. whenever i buy a grey product, i make sure that i am prepared to pay the repair costs if there are faults that develop later on, even if it is a manufacturing flaw. this is a decision YOU, and solely YOU will have to make, as everyone's degree of risk aversion is different.

2. no. charges depends on what is wrong what....... how i know.

3. probably.

TS, bhphoto ships to singapore, so is there a reason you need to go the vpost route?

Why u need to ship via VPOST. BH and Adorama ships to SG...........BH pack thier stuff really solid, I would assume adorama does too, from others that have ordered from them......

We do indeed ship to Singaspore - and out warehouse manager, Adam, takes great pride in how everything is shipped out very well-packaged so that it arrives safely

will there be GST imposed (>sgd400) if shipped directly from shop, ie not via vpost etc?

We do indeed ship to Singapore - and out warehouse manager, Adam, takes great pride in how everything is shipped out very well-packaged so that it arrives safely
Since Helen is with us in this thread, I would like to OT a bit in asking how Adorama handles the shipment of Li-on batteries that comes with the camera?

As I understand, the Li-on batteries are not allow to be packed inside an air/courier package (correct me if I am wrong) as recently there was a surface package with 4 Li-on batteries sent to Hong Kong from Canada that caught fire in HK post office and create a big scare (bomb) in Hong Kong.

Since Helen is with us in this thread, I would like to OT a bit in asking how Adorama handles the shipment of Li-on batteries that comes with the camera?

As I understand, the Li-on batteries are not allow to be packed inside an air/courier package (correct me if I am wrong) as recently there was a surface package with 4 Li-on batteries sent to Hong Kong from Canada that caught fire in HK post office and create a big scare (bomb) in Hong Kong.
Was wondering what your concerns was? You worked in the post office or you're planning to ship Li-on batteries from Adoroma? Maybe you'd like to enlighten us your intentions for asking. :nono:

i've purchased numerous lenses from overseas before and IMO, it depends.... if the lens is readily available locally, why would you want to purchase it overseas to save some $ but it could turn out far more costly if things go wrong later on. For legacy lenses or rare lenses that is not easily found locally, then obviously your hands are tied and you don't have much of a choice except to buy it from B&H or Adorama or the Bay for that matter. Another option is to plan a shopping trip to the US, the $ is weak now, when you're there, you could check the lens first hand and also, seek out US tax exempt and beat local GST. Just my 2 cents to share...

i only know that vpost doesn't accept shipment of lithium ion batteries....

I would not recommend using vPost. Had a bad experience last time with my books from Amazon. They missed 1 package which I already paid the shipping for, and still they want to charge me for the shipment, which was their fault in the first place. And no apologies whatsoever. Unbelievable :angry:

Was wondering what your concerns was? You worked in the post office or you're planning to ship Li-on batteries from Adoroma? Maybe you'd like to enlighten us your intentions for asking. :nono:
As I mentioned in my post above, the concern originated from the fire from a package of 4 Li-on batteries in HK post office shipped from Canada recently. So, if we shop online and purchased a camera, it definitely will come with at least a Li-on battery. And I believe most courier use air freight instead of surface mail. So, my question is simply how can they ship Li-on batteries by air if this is not allowed? Or, do we get the batteries by surface mail in separate package? I have not made an online camera/battery purchase so I am just curious how Adorama or other online stores handle the battery shipment.

I have no hidden agenda on my question (although it is a bit OT) so I am quite puzzled on your "no no"smiles...

I'll check with Adam, & come back to you.