Shopping in HK

ataraxia

Aug 9, 2005
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum, but am interested in learning from your experiences in shopping in HK.

• Is it true that most camera brands are typically cheaper in HK? (interested mainly in Canon and Fujifilm)
  • Which shops / areas would you recommend buying from in HK?
  • Any issues to watch out for when buying hardware from HK?

Would appreciate any advice! Will be going to HK in Feb so thinking of doing my tech shopping there.

There's a thread discussing about the topic you mentioned. Got all the information you're looking for.

Under the consumer corner, Hong Kong camera gear shopping guide. (Iirc)

Which I find it very useful, as I just came back from hk last week.

Last edited:
ataraxia said:
Hi, not sure if this is the right forum, but am interested in learning from your experiences in shopping in HK.

[*]Is it true that most camera brands are typically cheaper in HK? (interested mainly in Canon and Fujifilm)
[*]Which shops / areas would you recommend buying from in HK?
[*]Any issues to watch out for when buying hardware from HK?

Would appreciate any advice! Will be going to HK in Feb so thinking of doing my tech shopping there.

1) I got my canon stuffs from HK for ~2k. In SG, the same equipments will cost ard ~2.5k.

2) Mongkok has a whole bunch of shops, it was a delight to shop there, especially Sim city where a lot of camera shops are situated in.

3) check the functions thoroughly, make sure they are OK before paying, unless you are buying those stuffs with international warranty.

tecnica said:
1) I got my canon stuffs from HK for ~2k. In SG, the same equipments will cost ard ~2.5k.

2) Mongkok has a whole bunch of shops, it was a delight to shop there, especially Sim city where a lot of camera shops are situated in.

3) check the functions thoroughly, make sure they are OK before paying, unless you are buying those stuffs with international warranty.

Yup +1 to sim city, lots of shop selling camera gear, camera stuff. Nice place to shop.

For a list of recommended shops in Mongkok, actually all the shops gave me very good impression. Price wise, they are very competitive as well.

If I really want to list a few, it will be wing shing, tin cheung and highly recommend DC fever at Sim city.

DC fever really left me a good experience as I shopped there on 3 different occasions. The staffs were friendly and willing to explain to me about the functions of their products and of cause, giving me good amount of discounts for the stuffs I bought. Definitely will go back their again if I need to hoot more stuffs from HK.

Things are generally cheaper over there. But of course, you ought to do some research prior to purchasing your equipment.

The only other issue will be the warranty. These are all discussed at length in the HK thread in Consumer Corner.