shopping for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobnoob

Apr 1, 2008
currently im deciding on cannon 400d, sony 200 and nikon d60 or the 40x
but cannot make up my mind can you guys help a noob here

Canon 400D user here. Won't get into technical details / comparisons, but I'll just say that it handles well (especially if you buy the battery grip) and shoots well. Good time to buy the 400D because the 450D just got released, so wait a few weeks and purchase it at a lower price =)

Cheers~

The Sony A200 is a great camera, very good image quality.

But I suggest you try searching here, you'll just get the same advice that's been given 1000+ times before... Try the cameras again and again, and then decide which felt "best' for you. Read reviews, familiarize yourself with the strengths and cons of each system.

i just bought D60

Perhaps you can consider K200D from Pentax if you are not in a rush. It should be available @ end of April. :)

I do agree with everyone that you should try to feel the camera b4 buying. Otherwise, you might not be comfortable with it and find difficulties in term of handling feel . :)

think i will be getting canon taking advantage of the canon fair tmr

i just bought D60

That is not going to help TS. You think you buy, people must follow? It would be better to consider sharing your exp with the D60.

TS, it would depend on your skill level, your budget and such. Do a search here on the forum, as there are many threads looking for new DSLR.

If you consider the D40x or D60, then just go get a D40. Shoot more and then you would know whether you need a more sophisticated body.

All are pretty good comparable in what they do except to note that the D40/60 does not autofocus with non AF-S lenses.

As for Canon 400D, Alpha 200, and Nikon ( There issin too much of a huge price diff betw D60 vs D40, if u choosing Nikon, i recommend to just go for the D60. ) or Pentax or Olympus and other makes .. I am sure you have done your fair bit of research into various models. You should just go down to the stores and ask to try them out .

A proficient camera that does not feel good in your hands is a bad deal.

Ryan

I just checked out the Alpha 350, it is very good for ppl who are still getting used to shooting through an optical viewfinder. The live-view is very good on this (I think there is a Alpha 300 with same functions...just less mpx) .

In live view, the AF response is exactly the same as when shooting thru optical viewfinder. And best of all, I believe it's the only 3:2 format DSLR with tilting LCD screen.
This , I think is the coolest thing about the camera.

Of course, with Alpha, you inherit the legendary flash metering system of Minolta ...amongst other things.

Go out there and have hands on on as many camera as you can....once you settle into a system, it is very costly to switch. In any case, for the most part, every system does not differ too much in terms of performance. Whatever one system has, the others also can offer...in one form or another.

Good luck :)

DT :)

I just got my 400D a couple of weeks ago. I'll share why I choose Canon but at the end of it, you would need to decide how you wanna spend your money.

Why Canon?

- The users of this particular brand seems much broader, therefore ideally, there are more people whom can advice you on stuff especially on the technicality of getting effect and that.
- Thought the purchasing price of the body is a little steeper, there are more options of 3rd party lens, etc. In the long run, it seems to save more money to me, especially when I'm learning and wanting to explore what this lens do and what that does.

These 2 factors are what mainly went through my decision process. I was also at one stage thinking of Nikon but after weighting the factors mention, I wholeheartedly when to shop for a Canon. Hopefully a new Nikon user would come along and share his buying decision towards that brand.

Good luck... :)

I would think that every camera maker has their lens and accessory range to fufill a typical user's demands. I would not be hard selling any Nikon here. But i would think my shooting would not be too different if i chose some other systems.

As to the relative expertise on each of the brands, there are more than enough wonderful photogs here on CS using each system here to give you good advice.

Ryan

dont get nikon d60,40,40x, and i think d50 too. problem with this few models is there is no inbuild motor to AF lens, than u must get manual lenses. and D50 cos when u look in the eyepiece, there is no grid lines so u dont know where to focus on. like doing hyperfocusing.

well, get at least a D70s or D80 if you are getting Nikon.

I feel that 400D is good choice for newbies. I too myself am a newb. its easy to use and also affordable

newbie here... :p

but if u want to get Nikon... get D80 instead... should be able to last u till semi-pro.

read somewhere... D90 is on the way.... but dun know hw true...:dunno:

dont get nikon d60,40,40x, and i think d50 too. problem with this few models is there is no inbuild motor to AF lens, than u must get manual lenses. and D50 cos when u look in the eyepiece, there is no grid lines so u dont know where to focus on. like doing hyperfocusing.

well, get at least a D70s or D80 if you are getting Nikon.

You want to get D50, also cannot get in the shop. only second hand. Its still a good camera though. There is no problem with it and it can use non AF-S lens. I am using Tokina 12-24/f4 with it and it works very well. Are grid lines in the view finder so impt?

Anyway, if you are new and has no existing lens, being not able to use non AFS lens should not be the only reason you don't get the D40, D40x & D60. You probably don't get it because its too light for your taste....;) The kit lens is already good enough for most uses. Sometimes the reason of just having extra choices is not a good thing.

newbie here... :p

but if u want to get Nikon... get D80 instead... should be able to last u till semi-pro.

read somewhere... D90 is on the way.... but dun know hw true...:dunno:

Any camera, even the D40, D50, D40x & D60 can last u till semi-pro. It depends on your budget, needs and preferences. You probably should instead do a comparison of the specs and decide based on what you can do without and base it on your budget.

I'd still suggest the A200. You get built-in anti-shake, fantastic image quality and the camera is made by the same company that manufactures the sensors for Nikon. ;)

don forget pentax... ;)

there's the K100D Super and the coming K200D...

currently im deciding on cannon 400d, sony 200 and nikon d60 or the 40x but cannot make up my mind can you guys help a noob here

My suggestion is to choose any brand / model and grows with it. Buy something you can afford. No matter what brand you use, if you really serious in learning, you can be a good photographer. :thumbsup:

Are grid lines in the view finder so impt?

The grid lines are useful to check whether our horizon is straight, some use it to compose pics using the "rules of 3rds"... but i guess when u shoot, more u dun even need to use the grid lines already... the feel is already there...

Status
Not open for further replies.