Shopping at World Camera, Peninsula Plaza? Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
Was walking around benchmarking prices at City Hall. There's this shop at Peninsula Plaza, the one facing the road, opposite Funan IT mall. I went there to enquire the price. They offered me $1400 D90 body only. Normal price, and we were still talking about the camera.

Suddenly Caucasian girl who came into the shop... and shout at the 2 salesperson "STILL DOING BUSINESS, BAD MAN?" Then the girl walk away. The salesperson never bothered her, never scold her back also.

Instantly, I got cautious and walked away. Not sure what happened to the Caucasian girl. She got conned or just miscommunication? I've no idea.

I saw there's this newspaper clipping which they hang in the shop - stating the shop has one of the cheapest prices in Singapore.

Anyone knows of the reputation of this shop? :dunno:

just know the average street pricings of the items you are buying.

Was walking around benchmarking prices at City Hall. There's this shop at Peninsula Plaza, the one facing the road, opposite Funan IT mall. I went there to enquire the price. They offered me $1400 D90 body only. Normal price, and we were still talking about the camera.

Suddenly Caucasian girl who came into the shop... and shout at the 2 salesperson "STILL DOING BUSINESS, BAD MAN?" Then the girl walk away. The salesperson never bothered her, never scold her back also.

Instantly, I got cautious and walked away. Not sure what happened to the Caucasian girl. She got conned or just miscommunication? I've no idea.

I saw there's this newspaper clipping which they hang in the shop - stating the shop has one of the cheapest prices in Singapore.

Anyone knows of the reputation of this shop? :dunno:

Sounds like a superhero comedy..." hey..I'm BAD MAN..here to save the day.." :sweatsm:

Well, since you're in this forum now, you can have a wealth of information on which shops are good and which, well, let's just say, exaggerate their information.

Suddenly Caucasian girl who came into the shop... and shout at the 2 salesperson "STILL DOING BUSINESS, BAD MAN?" Then the girl walk away.

Haha! I think that's damn funny! I can just imagine a Caucasian doing that... hahaha!

To save you some trouble of searching, this is an infamous shop. But I still suggest you do a search on this shop la. I think the stories here are quite an interesting read. Hahaha!

I went in before and i must say that those people there have very poor service. i was asked so many times can he help me even after i said i was just looking around. I felt that they wanted me to leave? he kept blowing his nose and saying can i help you ? ... no manners

D90 with short lens cost only $1500+,long lens only $1600+ at Allen Photo,Sim Lim Sq.
That salesman is trying to chop you up.Those packages are kits with goodies not only
body.That girl is trying to warn you not to buy there.Enjoy!

One of my friend last time also nearly got conned by them but fortunately never buy. If u notice this shop, seldom have customers. Most of the time when i walk past there, all the sales people are just sitting around doing nothing.

So u go think abt it.

Yup, there were nobody in the shop. I was tempted as they used this tactic...

1. They cannot meet our sales margin for the week (almost meet)
2. They sell me at below cost price, -$100 (even showed me his cost price)
3. By selling me that camera, both of the salesperson will get sales bonus. Each will get $150.
4. So, 2 of them will get $300. And minus off the $100 'discount', they will at least get $200, still have $100 each
5. 'Win-win' situation. I get '$100 off'. They get "$200 from their boss"

Which was why I was a little tempted. Until the Caucasian lady came. HAHA! Yea, there's no free lunch in this world.

When I said I wanna think about it. THey said, "Still need to think about it a?" I told them "yea" and walked away.:cool:

I saw one of the salesman even wanted to punch a burmese guy after they decided not to buy.

Wow! Violence! That's really crazy!

ang moh culture tends to speak out loud what they think, but we asians dunno hum ji or what ...

well, if that shop keeper punch me first, i lagi happy. Cuz i can make use of the compensation later.

going back to your topic. i say, save your research and just go to the reputable shops commonly spoken in CS. if there are better true deals out there, i think the bro and sis here has already whack it leow.

nonetheless, your post does spread awareness for all these black shops :)

Last edited:
Yup, there were nobody in the shop. I was tempted as they used this tactic...

1. They cannot meet our sales margin for the week (almost meet)
2. They sell me at below cost price, -$100 (even showed me his cost price)
3. By selling me that camera, both of the salesperson will get sales bonus. Each will get $150.
4. So, 2 of them will get $300. And minus off the $100 'discount', they will at least get $200, still have $100 each
5. 'Win-win' situation. I get '$100 off'. They get "$200 from their boss"

Which was why I was a little tempted. Until the Caucasian lady came. HAHA! Yea, there's no free lunch in this world.

When I said I wanna think about it. THey said, "Still need to think about it a?" I told them "yea" and walked away.:cool:

How can they possibly sell something off at a loss but still can get sales bonus can then pass the savings to you? Dodgy!

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472156

Ok just read your another thread on restarting photography and looking to get a set up.

There are some shops which had been listed by users here as "ok" and some as blacklisted. Do a search you should be able to find out both, good luck.

I would stay away "world"-wide from this shop.

Yup, it is that dodgy. On one hand, I feel it's too good to be true, still 100 dollars can earn me a free bag. So it's still quite tempting.

Anyway, I haven't got my set up yet. Have been quite busy these few days and only free during weekends. Most reputable shops are always out of stock during weekends. Most of the shops are closed by the time I finish work.

John 3:16's next shipment is on the 12th February, let's hope that their stocks will last till the coming weekend. Prices are also rising, seems like there's a buying frenzy going on in Singapore right now.

Will probably head to Malaysia to get my gear as there's stock and prices are still steady.

Haha... The store has a lot of drama! Personally, I wouldn't purchase anything from them. But that's me.

Last edited:
lol this camera shop, ever been inside once. was doing research into buying my 1st dslr (my d80), when by and just ask how much their d80 is going for and the uncle(abit old) just lead me to outside the shop and show me other camera and say his model good good, good price bah bah, never answer my question, super turn off and just left

Status
Not open for further replies.