Shop in chinatown

ben yong

Jan 28, 2011
Was bored today so went to chinatown for some street shots.
Saw a camera shop near end of temple street, went in for a look see.
Many colourful pentax pns was on display, they also have kr and k5.
Decided to checkout their pricing so asked the price of white kr with 18-55 was quoted $930. Price reasonable. Any pentaxians bought here before?

I think you meant Manly and Mr Quek is a very nice guy. Recommended by many brothers here. Pricing reasonable.
He allowed me to test the Pentax camera before buying(wow that was about 1.5 years ago).
For those interested in K-5, he is selling at $1605.

Anybody know mr. Quek's phone no.? and the address, might go tomorrow to check it out. thanks

I went there a few months ago to purchase a lens hood and the salesperson was aggressive and pushy. He refused to show me the lens hood insisted I purchase a filter.

It was only until one of the old men (probably Mr Quek?) in the shop said I was "one of those pentax clubsnap guys" when he toned down and became friendly. Perhaps I looked like a tourist. Might be helpful to mention clubsnap or something when approaching the salesperson.

Seems like some of the shops do give better treatment to clubsnap members.

Remember Orient Photo also gave me the better pricing when i asked them why someone quoted lower pricing in clubsnap.
The lady immediately said the offer is for clubsnap members (which I was just thinking - how they know since no member card? haha)

I like op due to small and not much people staring. Did not mention CS member but their price more or less same as slrr

Went there today saw a familar face, the uncle who sold me my kr was there...end up buying a new toy WG-1 @ $434

If the shop in Chinatown you're referring to is Manly, you should note that there are two Manly shops. Main shop is at Temple St. & another branch at Trengganu St. The latter is for tourists. When they found out that I was no tourist, they referred me to the main shop. I was attended to by Mr. Daniel who was patient with me & let me try several lenses. I ended up buying two lenses & a few accessories from him. Good service, prices are competitive; will go back there again.

If the shop in Chinatown you're referring to is Manly, you should note that there are two Manly shops. Main shop is at Temple St. & another branch at Trengganu St. The latter is for tourists. When they found out that I was no tourist, they referred me to the main shop. I was attended to by Mr. Daniel who was patient with me & let me try several lenses. I ended up buying two lenses & a few accessories from him. Good service, prices are competitive; will go back there again.
oh yes..uncle daniel's patient alright. i've bought from him few times when he was around funan.

I think you meant Manly and Mr Quek is a very nice guy. Recommended by many brothers here. Pricing reasonable.
He allowed me to test the Pentax camera before buying(wow that was about 1.5 years ago).
For those interested in K-5, he is selling at $1605.

$1605 with lens or just the body? >.< i'm guessing just body, but i might as well just ask to make sure.

about shops anyone got their pentax from gizmobuy.com before?
i just wanted to know if its reliable, i've emailed them back and forth quite afew times and the person who has been replying to me mails went on reservist so his colleague replied to my mails iinstead, they're both really helpful but i just feel that the colleague was kinda pushy and keeps insisting that i go down to take a look at the product as i wanted to see if i like the grip or not and i said i wouldnt have the time as their opening hours clashes with my school hours, and i would drop by any store that sells pentax before getting back to them so i wouldnt need to trouble them and to make them stay just for me testing it out. but he keeps insisting and its kinda scaring me off. oh and i was planning to get their kr with 18-55mm lens and 50-300mm lens which would cost me $1166.30 is that reasonable?

sry i'm not sure if i could ask here but since we're all talking about shops i might as well give it a try

same price@ Manly, not pushy at all.;)

Just a reminder to check/compare the price quoted by gizmo - whether it includes warranty and GST and compare them with the regular shops like SLRR,OP,Manly.

Just a reminder to check/compare the price quoted by gizmo - whether it includes warranty and GST and compare them with the regular shops like SLRR,OP,Manly.

Gizmobuy.com is very legit, and they have a physical shop too. As far as I know, all their Pentax stuff come with one year local warranty. I bought my DA21 silver through them, very happy with the price and service.

Gizmobuy.com is very legit, and they have a physical shop too. As far as I know, all their Pentax stuff come with one year local warranty. I bought my DA21 silver through them, very happy with the price and service.

After seeing the price mentioned in the Gizmo thread earlier, I asked them for a quote for the Tamron lens.
The reply I got is - it is a parallel import so no warranty. The price mentioned in your thread is before GST.

After seeing the price mentioned in the Gizmo thread earlier, I asked them for a quote for the Tamron lens.
The reply I got is - it is a parallel import so no warranty. The price mentioned in your thread is before GST.

Sorry, I don't really know too much about their third party lenses. I was talking about those Pentax made stuff ;)