Shooting without depressing AE-L/AF-L button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artfuldodgerb

Sep 14, 2008
Hi all,

I just got my hands on a D40 and have been playing with it for a day.

The one problem I have is I cannot seem to take a shot simply by fully depressing the shutter release button only. I have to hold the AE-L/AF-L button before the shot would be taken. This happens only in auto-focus mode. The in-focus indicator does appear.

I can't seem to figure out why, have I selected some obscure function in one of the menus? Any help would be much appreciated!

check what ur ae-l/af-l button is assigned to. I think it's assigned to AF-ON, change it to something else like AE-L or AE-L/AF-L in ur custom menu.

Thanks for the reply Gagetgod,

I've played around with those options associated with the settings for that button and all do not seem to allow shooting purely with the shutter release button.

Any other ideas?

Try resetting your camera to factory settings?

suggest you reset all the settings to the default factory, its in the menu. If that cant work check your drive mode, is it in single. Usually in single mode, you cant release the shutter till focus have been acheived. Lastly try manual focus, if it works most probably there a problem with the AF.

sorry forgot to add do check the auto focus switch on both your camera and lens.

D40 doesn't have AF switch on the body.

In this case, the threastarter can execute autofocus, but not conventionally with the shutter release button, so autofocus is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.