Shooting with Panasonic DMC-GX8 by Rodney Koh, Bamboopictures

Editor

ClubSNAP Editor
Staff member
Jul 19, 2012
Time: 29th August, Saturday, 2015, 2 - 3pm.

topGX8.jpg

Rodney Koh is a full-time cameraman with Bamboo Pictures.
He shoots and edits corporate and industrial videos as well as webvlogs for ESPN, Linkedin, and Google. Rodney has been in the broadcast and video industry since 1997 and has been an M43 shooter since 2010.

On Saturday, Rodney will share his experience in hybrid photo/videography using the soon-to-ship DMC-GX8. Ask Rodney:
• What's new in the GX8
• Why makes the GX8 a great hybrid camera
• What is Dual Image Stabilsation
• How fast is DFD (Depth-from-Defocus)autofocusing
• What are the advantages of shooting in 4K
• Capturing good audio with the GX8
• Anything other questions relating to video production

[video=youtube;aJ7hG_3IIiw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ7hG_3IIiw[/video]

P10103641.jpg

P1010379.jpg

P10103631.jpg

Registration starts from here, kindly copy the list to continue the attendees list, pls do not jump queue and do not just put your name without continuing from the list. If anyone is found doing so, will be rejected from this and future events. Thank you

1. Jeremy Lua (schtauffen)

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan
4. Bryan Lee (copycat)

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan
4. Bryan Lee (copycat)
5. Patrick (pettypoh)

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan
4. Bryan Lee (copycat)
5. Patrick (pettypoh)
6. Denis (Mamduh)
10.[/QUOTE]

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan
4. Bryan Lee (copycat)
5. Patrick (pettypoh)
6. Denis (Mamduh)
7.Steven Fisher (StvFisher)
8.Ruth Santos
[/QUOTE]

2. Jace Tan (Jacephoto)
3. Alan Tan
4. Bryan Lee (copycat)
5. Patrick (pettypoh)
6. Denis (Mamduh)
7. Steven Fisher (StvFisher)
8. Ruth Santo
9. Ryan Khoo

Thanks Rodney for the wonderful presentation.

But was kinda surprised and disappointed that no representatives for Panasonic make an effort to turn up and give their support to Rodney ...

Cheers

Thanks Rodney for the wonderful presentation.

But was kinda surprised and disappointed that no representatives for Panasonic make an effort to turn up and give their support to Rodney ...

Cheers

I regret not able to attend Rodney's presentation. Does anyone know whether the gx8 is available in Singapore?
If yes, where can I get one?

I regret not able to attend Rodney's presentation. Does anyone know whether the gx8 is available in Singapore?
If yes, where can I get one?

Hi pleong,

The best person to answer this is Panasonic.

But they couldn't be bothered to turn up to give support to Rodney.

In any case, according to Digital Life, issue dated 26-Aug, the GX8 will be available in Singapore next month at $1,699 with the 14-42 II lens.

Hope that help.

Cheers

thanks rodney for the insightful talk today, interesting to hear your thoughts on this new camera and i got to have a go at it. will be interesting to see more tests on this camera

Thanks the organiser organising and Rodney for the talk. Sorry again for arriving late! Wonder how I remembered 29th as a Sunday. haha..
Thanks Rodney again also for the insights you have given me. All the best and hope to see you again! :)

Big thanks to everyone who turned up for the review. Special acknowledgement to Matthew for troubleshooting and Panasonic Singpore for providing the review set and this rare opportunity. My sincere apologies for the LIVE feed malfunction. Will do better next time.

Big thanks to everyone who turned up for the review. Special acknowledgement to Matthew for troubleshooting and Panasonic Singapore for providing the review set and this rare opportunity. My sincere apologies for the LIVE feed malfunction. Will do better next time.
Bro, any idea why the no-show from Panasonic ? :dunno:

Hi pleong,

The best person to answer this is Panasonic.

But they couldn't be bothered to turn up to give support to Rodney.

In any case, according to Digital Life, issue dated 26-Aug, the GX8 will be available in Singapore next month at $1,699 with the 14-42 II lens.

Hope that help.

Cheers

Thanks Rodney.
Oh well, gotta wait till end of this month (Sept) for it then.
Hope that Panny can bundle with other lens too.
I am hoping to get GX8 with 12-35 lens.

Last edited:
I would also like to add a little bit about the difference between the GH4 and GX7 in terms of their video capabilities.

For the 4K video, the GX7 can record in 3840 x 2160 in 25p.

Although the 4K video in GH4 can record 4096 x 2160 in 25p, this is only when you use 24 Hz. So, if we use 50Hz, we can only record 4K in 3840 x 2160 in 25p.

Please note that both cannot record 4K in 50p. 4K recording only available in 25p.

Also both record 4K in 100Mbps. In GH4, although it claims that it can do 200Mps, this is only when you set it to 1920 x 1080. 4K in GH4 cannot record in 200Mbps.

In GH4, we can do slow-mo by recording up 96p. Again, this is only possible in 1920 x 1080. The GH4 cannot record 96p in 4K. Also, when in slow-mo 96p, the auto-focus is not applicable. So in GH4 the slow mo 96p is only available in manual focus.

Just wondering, anyone set their frequency to 24Hz ?

Hope that helps.

Thanks