Shooting with light tent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golgotha

Aug 20, 2004
Melbourne/Singapore
Realise that I need strobes for shooting products with light tent. Are there any alternative lighting to be used? Please advise. Thanks.

No you don't need strobes for shooting with a light tent...

In fact that's one of the biggest reasons to use a light tent - You don't need the strobes.

The following shots were taken without strobes (I used dedicated TTL flash for some, but these don't technically count as strobes ;) ) .

Anyway about half of the shots were taken with daylight balanced fluorescent lighting.

Depending on the output of the lights, you'll probably get exposures ranging from ~ 1/2s to as long as 2-3s, as far as my setup is concerned. With flash you'll achieve much higher shutter speeds... fast enough to hand-hold if you're not using small apertures, but I advise against hand holding in any case for product shots.

*Notice* The links below lead to my personal web gallery. If you feel that I'm doing shameless self-promotion or are against me using my work as an example, do not click on the links. :sticktong

http://solarii85.multiply.com/photos/album/30
http://solarii85.multiply.com/photos/album/25

solarii said:
No you don't need strobes for shooting with a light tent...

In fact that's one of the biggest reasons to use a light tent - You don't need the strobes.

The following shots were taken without strobes (I used dedicated TTL flash for some, but these don't technically count as strobes ;) ) .

Anyway about half of the shots were taken with daylight balanced fluorescent lighting.

Depending on the output of the lights, you'll probably get exposures ranging from ~ 1/2s to as long as 2-3s, as far as my setup is concerned. With flash you'll achieve much higher shutter speeds... fast enough to hand-hold if you're not using small apertures, but I advise against hand holding in any case for product shots.

*Notice* The links below lead to my personal web gallery. If you feel that I'm doing shameless self-promotion or are against me using my work as an example, do not click on the links. :sticktong

http://solarii85.multiply.com/photos/album/30
http://solarii85.multiply.com/photos/album/25

nice shots, jason. but which are the ones shot using a light tent? :dunno:

barracuda said:
nice shots, jason. but which are the ones shot using a light tent? :dunno:

All of them! The tent can be adapted to shoot virtually anything that can fit inside!

Its very versatile and can serve a variety of functions depending on how it's set up in relation to the light, and of course the props used.

Looks good. I've just got 2 day light bulbs ......am trying out all possible shots. However, the subjects doesn't have a "3D" look.it looks rather flat.

solarii said:
All of them! The tent can be adapted to shoot virtually anything that can fit inside!

Its very versatile and can serve a variety of functions depending on how it's set up in relation to the light, and of course the props used.

oh, that's encouraging. how powerful is ur flash? nikon sb-26/sb-28 good enough? and how big ur light tent? thinking of getting a 30cm x 30cm one. is it big enough? thx.

i've got a 75 by 75 it's too big! Thinking of selling n getting a smaller one..my stuff ain't tat big.

barracuda said:
oh, that's encouraging. how powerful is ur flash? nikon sb-26/sb-28 good enough? and how big ur light tent? thinking of getting a 30cm x 30cm one. is it big enough? thx.

420EX. I'm not familiar with those two nikon flashes... an SB 600 or 800 will suffice.

I'm using a 75cm version... 30 is way too small unless you intend to shoot small ornaments, watches and nothing else.. Your actual working area is a lot less than 30 cm esp. if you use standard lenses. 75 cm is just about right for most uses.

Golgotha said:
Looks good. I've just got 2 day light bulbs ......am trying out all possible shots. However, the subjects doesn't have a "3D" look.it looks rather flat.
to make things look 3D, you need to have more highlight and shadows, try to make the light stronger on one side. eg, top, left or right, not from front.

Golgotha said:
i've got a 75 by 75 it's too big! Thinking of selling n getting a smaller one..my stuff ain't tat big.
a big tent can use to shoot big and small subjects,
a small tent can only shoot small subjects.

barracuda said:

SB26 and SB28 is good. powerful enough.

I just ordered the Photoflex First Studio Product Kit, from Cathay Photo, $420 before GST. Check out the info at the website:

http://www.photoflex.com/First_Studio_Products/First_Studio_Product_Kit/index.html

http://www.photoflexlightingschool....tudio/The_First_Studio_Product_Kit/index.html

Golgotha said:
Realise that I need strobes for shooting products with light tent. Are there any alternative lighting to be used? Please advise. Thanks.

That's great! I was looking for that too. But I only need the lights since I've got the tent already. Any idea if Catahy photo sells the lights alone?

Checked with them liao. Unfortunately, it doesn't come with the two lights for the next shipment. :(

Check with you guys using the light tents, why are the 2 sides of the tent so crumpled? Thot it's supposed to be all tight and smooth all round? :dunno:

I don't think so, it's supposed to be a kit. The told me they are not supposed to bring this in (maybe too cheap ?) and some salesmen did not know about the product, but they will anyway since I ordered it. Well, you can buy and sell the tent, I guess. Or improvise and go to Ikea and find some powerful lights, but maybe not as convenient as the stand that comes in this kit.

Golgotha said:
That's great! I was looking for that too. But I only need the lights since I've got the tent already. Any idea if Catahy photo sells the lights alone?

I did went to Ikea n bought some lights. It's good but the only prob as u mentioned it's not convenient. Anyway I called CP and yup they only sell it as a kit.

When are you collecting yours? :)

Quite interesting. I did a DIY light tent, and used a slave flash + flash from camera.

Results looks pretty ok. Play around with the light angles/intensity to get your desired effect.

Safari+guy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.