Shooting With Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby

Sep 27, 2007
Hi just got my first flash last night a Canon Speedlight 580EXII, does anyone have tips on usage? Here is what I found:

On full Auto (green zone) works fine just like a high power point and push.

ISO for following: 800
On P mode, also works OK allowing for a little more control.

On Av – very difficult. It seems the camera still exposes for the ambient light, so flash fires but the shutter stays open for quite a while (depending on level ambient light)
If I set flash exposure by pressing the FELock ( * on my EOS 400D) then it seems to be a bit better.

On TV can set a shutter speed (indoors) of around 1/60 – 1/80 works Ok, aperture sets about f5.8

On M seems best typically around an F5.6 and shutter as above, but does allow my to vary apature a stop or so with acceptable results.

Any hints on how to get best exposure, I have 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8.

The zoom setting only works when firing flash straight on, so when bouncing I guess it’s just a matter of trail and error to get to know how the results will turn out?

Thanks!

its impossible for people to tell u the correct exposure setting unless they are there. I guess u have to read and practise more on your basic on flash already.

Yeah you're right, every situation is different and would require a different exposure. Just thought people may have had similar indoor flash experiences which i could learn from.

I will keep practicing but I'm not uderstanding why the camera seems to be exposing for ambient light when on Av mode. I thought that the camera send out a pre flash (though almost imperceptable) to gauge exposure then adjust shutter speed accordingly - allowing for shorter shutter (e.g 1/60 or 1/80 etc)?

Just a newbie with lots to learn! thanks for reading and dropping me a reply!

its impossible for people to tell u the correct exposure setting unless they are there. I guess u have to read and practise more on your basic on flash already.

am using a 420ex. in AV mode, i choose high speed sync flash which will automatically set the shutter speed to 1/200s. E-TTL will adjust the flash power necessary. i think you can just do the selection on the flash itself. cheerz.

Thanks for the info below, I went off and did a bit or research on the high speed sync flash: the following is great artice on Flash Photography with Canon. I think a lot will apply to other brands - it's great for those of us learning the ropes.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Thanks.

am using a 420ex. in AV mode, i choose high speed sync flash which will automatically set the shutter speed to 1/200s. E-TTL will adjust the flash power necessary. i think you can just do the selection on the flash itself. cheerz.

Flash photography is fun and interesting :)
Try this
Shoot an object and use the following setups:
- Flash head direct
- Flash head upward , bounce off ceiling
- Flash head upward with bounce card
- Flash head with diffuser, direct
- Flash head with diffuser, upward
Compare the effect.

Try special effect:
- use slow shutter speed like 1/5sec to 1/10sec, turn on 2nd curtain sync , shoot panning shots of running kids or moving object

Status
Not open for further replies.