Shooting Wedding (1st time)

I think your line of thought is wrong (no offence)
You are thinking along the lines that gear will pull you through the day. (ie. lens and/or FF camera)

What you need to work on is skill and confidence in the equipment you are using (to adjust to the situation)
Practice shooting at home or some friends; practice how you use your flash; practice how you manage the crowd/guests to form up for the table shot.
At the least, talk/discuss about these things here, rather than gears, which is a small part of the whole equation (really).

My few cents :
1. I'll just take the 17-50 and a flash. Table shot, personally I find that even 24mm on aps-c is ok. Just need to form up the ppl in the table properly.
2. Practice your flash (preferably know how to bounce it); You can shoot your mother, sister, cat, etc, just practice and know how to control your flash bounce as well as ISO/aperture/shutter/flash pwr
3. Know your lens (not everything is shallow DOF; often times you need more DOF (eg. group shots) ). This relates to knowing your flash too. (ie. flash power; camera settings)
4, If you have a chance to attend someone elses wedding, try to observe how the photographer handles the situation

Gd luck

I think your line of thought is wrong (no offence)
You are thinking along the lines that gear will pull you through the day. (ie. lens and/or FF camera)

What you need to work on is skill and confidence in the equipment you are using (to adjust to the situation)
Practice shooting at home or some friends; practice how you use your flash; practice how you manage the crowd/guests to form up for the table shot.
At the least, talk/discuss about these things here, rather than gears, which is a small part of the whole equation (really).

My few cents :
1. I'll just take the 17-50 and a flash. Table shot, personally I find that even 24mm on aps-c is ok. Just need to form up the ppl in the table properly.
2. Practice your flash (preferably know how to bounce it); You can shoot your mother, sister, cat, etc, just practice and know how to control your flash bounce as well as ISO/aperture/shutter/flash pwr
3. Know your lens (not everything is shallow DOF; often times you need more DOF (eg. group shots) ). This relates to knowing your flash too. (ie. flash power; camera settings)
4, If you have a chance to attend someone elses wedding, try to observe how the photographer handles the situation

Gd luck

Well i didn't say that. Selecting the right equipment is important. So i just wanted some suggestions on the most suitable equipment to bring given that there are trade offs (mainly in terms of focal length and aperture/speed). I know about the practicing, etc. Heck i am meeting them today to do some practice shots. And on the actual day as i mentioned earlier, i will be getting them (or at least the groom) to go through the "dry run" at the actual venue. And yes i have been practicing my bouncing at home but then again my home floor to ceiling height is different, colour of ceiling probably different too and is the ambient light. So my main testing will be at the venue itself. Yes i also know not everything is shallow DOF. In fact i mentioned in one of my earlier post (b4 deciding to rent the D600 + 24-120) that i probably bring the 16-85 as i won't be shooting with shallow DOF and for the few that i will, i will be bringing my 35/1.8.

Anyway i have already decided to rent the D600 and 24-120 (and will bring along my own 50/1.8D which is FX lens) so i guess it's time to close this thread.

Thanks again to all who offered advice.

One member just reported this thread, gotten my attention.

I think the TS has grown unduly defensive over pinholecam's post which was cordial and contained sound advice. Not very good form to just close the thread abruptly the moment people try to advice him about skills over gear. Opinions of course differs. JMH2C

I agree with this member's comments wholeheartedly, but we failed to see TS already made up this mind before he post his thread (see the initial post), that including me.

all he want is seeking approval from others about renting gears for his friend's weddings, he just want to know his is doing the best choice, for putting his faith on better gears.
he don't want people to tell him what is the right thing to do, whether or not you've shot weddings for 5, 10, or 20 years.

So I suggest you guys just move on, is a beautify day today, go out and shoot some photos.

thread remain close as it already served the purpose on initial post.

Reactions: JasonB
One member just reported this thread, gotten my attention.

I agree with this member's comments wholeheartedly, but we failed to see TS already made up this mind before he post his thread (see the initial post), that including me.

all he want is seeking approval from others about renting gears for his friend's weddings, he just want to know his is doing the best choice, for putting his faith on better gears.
he don't want people to tell him what is the right thing to do, whether or not you've shot weddings for 5, 10, or 20 years.

So I suggest you guys just move on, is a beautify day today, go out and shoot some photos.

thread remain close as it already served the purpose on initial post.

Shame on you for making such baseless remarks about me and then not having the courage to reply me when I PM'ed u.

I was seeking advice, not approval. And based on the advice I got, I did come to an initial decision of using the 7100 + 16-85. It was only when CRC quoted a good rental price for the d600 + 24-120 combo that I decided to switch to that instead. And u know what? It was also the advise of a forumer that made me decide to ask crc for that quote.

I logged in this morning already with the intention of closing the thread as the initial question was no longer an issue with the above decision and I did not want the thread to be left open and unattended. But upon logging in I saw pinholecam's post so I decided to reply him as he had put in the effort to offer his advice to me. If it sounded a tad "defensive" it was cos I was going off for breakfast and had perhaps overlooked some p's and q's. And that's why it ended somewhat abruptly. I didn't end it because someone tried to teach me technique! If u had looked back at the past posts, many forumers gave me useful tips on technique and I thanked them as much as I could.

I can ignore such thrash talk from "normal" forumers but u are a moderator for goodness sakes. Geez.

Though I would rather close this thread I will leave it open before somebody else says that it is "poor form" for me to have my say and then close it.

PS: pinholecam also doesn't understand why that complainant reported my earlier post. I didn't know people here are so sensitive!

TS, after so many people give you advice, it is not right for you to just delete the thread. The posts here are not just advice just for you, but also for others with the same questions. Thread undeleted.

Words lack emotion and can be read differently by different people. Words and intention can also be read wrongly. If your posts or intention is misread just say it openly like adults. I am sure people here will understand if you say it nicely. And talking trash back to the moderator who has been helping you all this while is not the best thing to do. Especially one that has been in the professional wedding and photography industry for more than two decades, taking time to share his experiences with you.

Moderators here are all volunteers. None of the moderators here owe anyone anything. In fact they are the ones helping to taking care of the forum, running clubsnap events without asking for anything in return. A little respect will be appreciated.

Abuse towards moderators in this forum is never and will never be tolerated. Treat this as a warning.

Good Luck for your wedding shoot. Hope you shoot it well with the gears you rented. All the best.

PS. And to other aspiring wedding photographers out there, gear or PS/PP will not bail you out if your basic skills are not there. You can ask people to pose again for posed shots. But if you missed the moment you missed the moment. If your shots is blur, it is blur. If the bride or groom's eyelid is half closed, it is will not be open. Nothing you can do will bring all these things back. And weddings move very fast, light changes all the time, people move around a lot... most of the times no one will wait for you to get your settings and angles right. If you want to shoot someone's big day, make sure you have at least some skill level before taking up that responsibility to capture someone's big day.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonB
In fact i mentioned in one of my earlier post (b4 deciding to rent the D600 + 24-120) that i probably bring the 16-85 as i won't be shooting with shallow DOF and for the few that i will, i will be bringing my 35/1.8.

Anyway i have already decided to rent the D600 and 24-120 (and will bring along my own 50/1.8D which is FX lens) so i guess it's time to close this thread. .

TS, the 35mm just leave at home since u bringing the 50mm.. i brought a 35mm to shoot a friend's wedding for fun but its not helpful when i dont have sufficient space to back into. i have the 50mm too and i think the length should be comfortable enough. I travel light too.. i know u will have less to worry abt if carry one lens less.. :)

Ur thread has been really helpful and i agree with daredevil that this thread carries some good info too.
I myself is gonna help out as a second photog casually for a friends' wedding too. Very close friend too.. going for his 'second' wedding(local)
This thread is helpful! ;)

TS, the 35mm just leave at home since u bringing the 50mm.. i brought a 35mm to shoot a friend's wedding for fun but its not helpful when i dont have sufficient space to back into. i have the 50mm too and i think the length should be comfortable enough. I travel light too.. i know u will have less to worry abt if carry one lens less.. :)

Ur thread has been really helpful and i agree with daredevil that this thread carries some good info too.
I myself is gonna help out as a second photog casually for a friends' wedding too. Very close friend too.. going for his 'second' wedding(local)
This thread is helpful! ;)

Oops!! My bad. I meant my 50 f1.8. The 35 f1.8 is a dx lens which won't go with the D600.

Am glad if others find this thread useful :)

Oops!! My bad. I meant my 50 f1.8. The 35 f1.8 is a dx lens which won't go with the D600.

Am glad if others find this thread useful :)

There is always the Sigma 35/1.4, Nikon 35/1.4 and Nikon 35/2.

use ur fav lens and just take a lot of picture...u can sort the pic after that..its better to take more rather than miss the moment or getting blur picture..there's an advantage to delete the picture on digital era...

use ur fav lens and just take a lot of picture...u can sort the pic after that..its better to take more rather than miss the moment or getting blur picture..there's an advantage to delete the picture on digital era...

But if I'm lousy take 10,000 pics also 9,990 not nice hahaha :)

But if I'm lousy take 10,000 pics also 9,990 not nice hahaha :)

Don't worry, you still have 10 pics that are nice ;)

Just don't stress too much, take photos like you are comfortable with. No point stressing out too much, have fun, and enjoy your bud's wedding. Good luck and happy shooting. If can don't mind sharing some photos here too :)

Don't worry, you still have 10 pics that are nice ;)

Just don't stress too much, take photos like you are comfortable with. No point stressing out too much, have fun, and enjoy your bud's wedding. Good luck and happy shooting. If can don't mind sharing some photos here too :)

I getting my D600 soon (buying not renting). Haha.

Yes, i told daredevil I will come back and post a few pics up after i am done. Be it as a positive example or negative example :)

Can flash use bracketing? Can the flash recycle fast enough?

If you shoot low ISO and shoot very fast, you might need a battery pack like the SD-8A or SD9. When shooting paparazi style the SD-8A might give you some recycle problem if you work it really hard but the SD9 never seens to encounter such problem with its extra 2 cells, to the extend that the SB900 overheats. With the SB910, the problem is resolved. The third parties ones can be used but because of the varying standards of QC, you never know if its safe or it might one day fry your flash. Another alternatives are the Quantums and Metz which are both older school but very good, and recently China made Lithiums packs but not sure how reliable are those.

Last edited:
If you connect it to an external battery pack, yes.

OK, will check our battery pack.

Was just browising through Nikon's website and wow, just realised that there is only ONE fx zoom lens with VR which is the 28-300. Both versions the 24-120 are not listed. Didn't realise FX lens so limited choice for standard zooms (VR is a must have for me so that rules out the 24-70/2.8). DX lens got so many (eg. 17-55, 18-105, 18-140, 18-200, etc). So i guess the 24-120 f4 - for better or worse (pun intended) is the only lens choice for me with the D600.

OK, will check our battery pack.

Was just browising through Nikon's website and wow, just realised that there is only ONE fx zoom lens with VR which is the 28-300. Both versions the 24-120 are not listed. Didn't realise FX lens so limited choice for standard zooms (VR is a must have for me so that rules out the 24-70/2.8). DX lens got so many (eg. 17-55, 18-105, 18-140, 18-200, etc). So i guess the 24-120 f4 - for better or worse (pun intended) is the only lens choice for me with the D600.

I see it. I think it is just a problem with tagging/labeling

24-85VR, 24-120VR all there.