shooting vertical with an external flash

baggiolee

Dec 7, 2006
www.facebook.com
silly qs: how you adjust ur flash like nikon sb600 etc, when u need to shoot vertical?

i believe the correct term is portrait orientation...

What exactly are you trying to ask?
How to rotate the flash head...? The manual shows you how.

At the swivel joint, there is a rubber button you can depress. Hold that and swivel the flash head.

For best external flash results, moving the flash off camera achieves the best results. And with Nikons, this is so easy compared to Canon.

You just move the flash head in any direction you want. There's a catch at the joint.

errmm...i mean the camera is vertical instead of horizontal.

And so...?
The flash would still be mounted onto the camera, whether you turn it vertical, horizontal or upside down.
If you press the shutter release, the flash will fire.

What exactly are you asking?

Anyway, it's known as PORTRAIT ORIENTATION if the long side of the image
is upright.

Last edited:
I could be wrong here, but are you trying to photograph something vertically above or below your camera?
As in... The camera is pointed to the ceiling or down to the ground?

silly qs: how you adjust ur flash like nikon sb600 etc, when u need to shoot vertical?

errmm...i mean the camera is vertical instead of horizontal.
I guess you are referring to the ugly shadow cast at one side what you shoot people on portrait orientation with flash?

u mean something like this:

sonyhvlf58am_rear.jpg

?

Errr... by rotating the flash head that swivels?? catch no ball ur qs..

most will have bounce it off the ceiling or walls ard if indoors, if outdoors, a bounce card come real handy..

u mean something like this:

sonyhvlf58am_rear.jpg

?

yes i mean like this. :bsmilie: but nikon sb600 can't rotate like this, so i want to see how most of us set the external flashlight when we need to shoot vertically.

yes i mean like this. :bsmilie: but nikon sb600 can't rotate like this, so i want to see how most of us set the external flashlight when we need to shoot vertically.
just point the flash same direction as you shoot in landscape orientation.
to really solve this issue, get a rotatable flash bracket to keep the flash unit always above the lens.

As I thought, it's PORTRAIT ORIENTATION, not vertical.

In portrait orientation, the SB600 can still be pointed up to the ceiling, though it's the short side of the flash that's facing forward, not the usual broad side.
i fix a bounce card and it's still ok.
As catchlights mentioned, the flash is to the side of the lens, not above it. Just have to be careful that the lens doesn't cast any shadow.

P for professional mode ?? lol

the question is how do u do a 45 degrees if you were shooting vertical?????

the question is how do u do a 45 degrees if you were shooting vertical?????
please stop using the term "shoot vertical" if you're intending to describe shooting in portrait orientation. It's really confusing.
I don't know whether you really mean vertical (as in the lens is pointed vertically toward the ground or sky) or not.

45 degrees in what orientation?
An angle (eg. 45 degrees) means nothing without a frame of reference, an axis about which the angle is described.