shooting towards the sun, does it damage the camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhobbit

Jul 21, 2007
just asking around, will shooting towards the sun damage the sensor of a DSLR or any digital camera?
i have a UV filter attached on even though i am not sure whether it helps:sweat:

many thanks in advance

damage could occur...just like using a magnifying glass to focus the sun's rays to burn things.... the lens of the camera is also focusing the suns rays...onto the sensor.

that said, with a dslr you should be fine as the sensor is exposed to the sun for a very short period of time. but with a normal p&s where you can compose with the lcd... you'd better be quick in composing.

a more serious issue is eye damage from composing through the viewfinder. i've heard ppl using the DOF button to help dim things... but even then, becareful!

I have heard in the past that, it's better and if you still can find those negative film strips, placed at least 2 to 3 pieces in front of the len when pointing towards the sun.

Those negative film strips will helps to reduce the glare from the sun.

just asking around, will shooting towards the sun damage the sensor of a DSLR or any digital camera?
i have a UV filter attached on even though i am not sure whether it helps:sweat:

many thanks in advance
You may damage your eyes if you use a DSLR so be very very very careful. The camera manual does document that discolouration of the sensor may happen.

UV filter is useless because it's the heat from the IR which burns.

short periods no i guess
i mean, unless you leave it on a tripod and go run around punggol or something
nothing should happen
my cam seems fine, and i shoot quite a lot of towards the sun shots =)

also i guess depends on the directness of the sun
if it is covered by clouds, should have no issue
if it is setting and less bright should have no issue also

do note that you should not look at the sun through the lens, might damage your eyes
sometimes i just look for very very short periods, ~2 seconds to compose and after that very pain =/

I have heard in the past that, it's better and if you still can find those negative film strips, placed at least 2 to 3 pieces in front of the len when pointing towards the sun.

Be careful also. Don't use colour negatives or slides. Use ONLY true silver halide B&W negatives (not the C-41 process type) because the black area is silver which is able to fully absorb/reflect the invisible IR/UV rays which are more damagging. Visible light forms only a very small band of the spectrum.

If you want to do solar photography, there are ND filters to do that. Look for ND10000.

BC

thanks alot, yeah i do not point the camera towards the sun for long periods, try to compose the pic in my mind before pointing and shooting it as quickly as i can.

i was always afraid damaging my eye sight and the camera, so try to do it as quickly as possible.

thanks alot:)

thanks alot, yeah i do not point the camera towards the sun for long periods, try to compose the pic in my mind before pointing and shooting it as quickly as i can.

i was always afraid damaging my eye sight and the camera, so try to do it as quickly as possible.

thanks alot:)
if you are referring shooting sunrise sunset, you are worry too much.

eh no, i mean mid-late afternoon sun, sometimes near noon, cause the very strong rays and light provide a very nice contrast to the clouds.

i am sure you have seen instances where the sun gets behind a cloud and there are beams of light shooting out from the fringe of clouds:D
i think that makes for a very nice picture indeed:thumbsup:

eh no, i mean mid-late afternoon sun, sometimes near noon, cause the very strong rays and light provide a very nice contrast to the clouds.

i am sure you have seen instances where the sun gets behind a cloud and there are beams of light shooting out from the fringe of clouds:D
i think that makes for a very nice picture indeed:thumbsup:
if it is too strong, images will be whitewash, and if you can't record anything, time to pack up and go.

Hm i had a friend who used a D50.There was once we pointed the camera at the evening sun and thereafter all his pics had a permanent red line.He brought it to NSC and they had to replace the sensor:sweat:

teehee

my k100d has seen so many evening suns and it's still alive grin grin grin

Just FYI, in my canon operating manual, it has a warning box stating do not point the camera directly at the sun as it could damage the shutter and sensor. And NEVER look into the veiwfinder also.

Can it use a very dark filter like those meant for IR shooting or probably even darker one? I believe Sun Ray are strong enough to produce the sun image even you use a very dark filter.

understood, now i shall take precautions
or should i say no more photos at the sun:cry:

thanks alot for the advice:sweat:

Can it use a very dark filter like those meant for IR shooting or probably even darker one? I believe Sun Ray are strong enough to produce the sun image even you use a very dark filter.

IR filters are not dark enuff to shoot directly at the sun. :nono:

actually i don understand why you guys so weird
cannot shoot at sun meh

if cannot capture the beauty of the sunset
i rather not photograph anything at all
mutter

actually i don understand why you guys so weird
cannot shoot at sun meh

if cannot capture the beauty of the sunset
i rather not photograph anything at all
mutter

No lah. his referring to shoot Direct Sun in the noon time, which produce the strongest rays. not even able to peek with your naked eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.