Shooting thru windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

kree

Nov 4, 2002
Visit site
just wondering, when shooting thru window panes (or any glass surfaces for that matter), how does one go about minimising the chance that a reflection turns up in the final print/slide?
:)

giddygoat

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
I think you can do that if you just keep your lens as close to the surface of the glass as possible.
or if you have the $$, a polariser would help minimise reflection.
me still newbie so maybe others know better ways to do this.

Ian

Feb 20, 2002
Perth Australia
Originally posted by kree
just wondering, when shooting thru window panes (or any glass surfaces for that matter), how does one go about minimising the chance that a reflection turns up in the final print/slide?
If using flash shoot with the lens hard against the glass.

If shooting through windows with a Polarizing filter try to angle the glass to around 37.5 degrees relative to the film plane to reduce reflections to a minimum with the Polarizer.

Winston

May 11, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by Ian
If using flash shoot with the lens hard against the glass.

If shooting through windows with a Polarizing filter try to angle the glass to around 37.5 degrees relative to the film plane to reduce reflections to a minimum with the Polarizer.
Going to shoot Underwater World in Sentosa this weekend with some of my friends. (have to shoot though the glass walls and water)

Any recommendations? Is flash recommended in there? (was afraid the lighting conditions may not be so good)

Eqt: F717 + SONY's FLASH + HOYA UV Filter.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Wai
Penguin Parade at Jurong bird park is another challenging place...

no wonder not many pple post their shots :( :dunno:
Lighting is horrid inside there. Nothing short of ISO 1600 @ f/2.8 @ whatever shutter speed will get you the shot.

Going to shoot Underwater World in Sentosa this weekend with some of my friends. (have to shoot though the glass walls and water)
Lighting there isn't fantastic, don't need to waste time/memory card. :)

Regards
CK

dehuis

Mar 10, 2003
everton park
Visit site
just came back from underwater world.
light is bad, flash is a must unless u want to mount tripod. but the display tunnel, teh one with all the fishes swimming ard u is curved and u can't really press ur lens ( ok, i using slr, cannot plce lens, maybe ur sony can:) ) so got reflection of my flash. (i think) if you like, can post teh pics up, not too well done, then u can see and maybe can do better. drop me a pm and i'll scan teh pics in and up tonite.

but advise bring tripod coz some of the display are very very beautifully lit in the dark so exposure time of something like 3-4 s be good. can take a look at one i post up on nature titled mitosis.
hope thats helpful

tempted to join u, was there with gf and already she hates the cam and if i try to find more time to compose and pick the shots, she probably shoot me!:)

Winston

May 11, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by dehuis
just came back from underwater world.
light is bad, flash is a must unless u want to mount tripod. but the display tunnel, teh one with all the fishes swimming ard u is curved and u can't really press ur lens ( ok, i using slr, cannot plce lens, maybe ur sony can:) ) so got reflection of my flash. (i think) if you like, can post teh pics up, not too well done, then u can see and maybe can do better. drop me a pm and i'll scan teh pics in and up tonite.

but advise bring tripod coz some of the display are very very beautifully lit in the dark so exposure time of something like 3-4 s be good. can take a look at one i post up on nature titled mitosis.
hope thats helpful

tempted to join u, was there with gf and already she hates the cam and if i try to find more time to compose and pick the shots, she probably shoot me!:)
Actually I will be in Sentosa for this weekend for a chalet stay.

Part of the agenda, will be the Underwater world shoot, Musical Fountain, Merlion, Sunset @ Fort Siloso, Sun Rise @ Beach, Dolphin Lagoon...etc

Will be bring tripod along, a must for the sunset and sunrise.

Now that you mentioned it, may lug it along for the Underwater world too.

The main disadvantage of the SONY F717 is it's flash. It's not TTL unlike a G3 with 550EX or Coolpix with SB-80DX or DiMAGE 7i with Minolta's flash.

All the other prosumers cameras, except Fuji S602Z, has their own dedicated flash units to provide TTL functions.

SONY though having it's own flash, don't have. :(

I think the use of the flash may cause bad reflection from the walls of the glass tunnel. May have to use a lower shutter speed and higher ISO instead.

The last time I visited Underwater world was well over 10 years ago. Not much impression of it any more.

A recent pic or 2 of it would be nice. ;)

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
Originally posted by ckiang
Lighting is horrid inside there. Nothing short of ISO 1600 @ f/2.8 @ whatever shutter speed will get you the shot.

Lighting there isn't fantastic, don't need to waste time/memory card. :)

agree.....BS even help me to hold another flash to try Wireless ETTL to see if it can cut down reflection of direct flash

here is one of then shots, ISO400 @ f2.8
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27515

chriszzz

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by kree
You shoot with a M16, or better still, M203. Guarantee no reflections :)

Or you can use a polarizer filter ( but not on your M16 ).

dehuis

Mar 10, 2003
everton park
Visit site
just put up my underwater world pics. u can see for urself wat teh conditions are like and how the effects of using flash are.

hope its useful.

ps: look in nature section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom