Shooting the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dexlab

Aug 2, 2008
what happens when you shoot directly at the sun?

i get pictures that i cant see the sun (not circle , just a mass of white pixels. i guess. )
with my D90 18-105mm kit lens + UV filter.

haha..well..actually this question is more directed at the equipment i guess..would it harm ur equipment or lens?

depend on what you want, still a bright "white" sun, F/32, 1/8000, ISO50 and EV -3 set around these value or the nearest you can find. Just play around and note that the rest will be dark.

If you are looking to see orange sun with sunspot or sun flare, then you need solar filter and telescope.

Note, don't look at the sun directly, if you have live view that will be the best.

Do a search on how to photograph solar eclipses and how to shoot the sun.

You'll likely need a very very very heavy ND filter to prevent serious equipment damage.

what happens when you shoot directly at the sun?

no damage will occur, so long as you don't do anything silly like shoot with f/1.4, and shoot for 60 seconds with bulb mode. in such a scenario, i have not tried it before, and i don't want to try, i suppose your lens will just focus the sun on one portion of your sensor and.. well, you can imagine what that would do with such a long exposure.

most into-the-sun conditions, even with hdr bracketing, you will not damage your sensor, honestly, i have done it a lot of times, and all my cameras from p&s to dslr all work fine.

no damage will occur, so long as you don't do anything silly like shoot with f/1.4, and shoot for 60 seconds with bulb mode. in such a scenario, i have not tried it before, and i don't want to try, i suppose your lens will just focus the sun on one portion of your sensor and.. well, you can imagine what that would do with such a long exposure.

most into-the-sun conditions, even with hdr bracketing, you will not damage your sensor, honestly, i have done it a lot of times, and all my cameras from p&s to dslr all work fine.

roasted sensor?
:bsmilie:

thanks for ur quick replies!=)

i just tried shooting in the sun at f16 with a 1/2000 shutter speed. produced a very nice sun star? or whatever you call it. just hope it doesn't spoil the sensor. haha.
any other opinions?

thanks for ur quick replies!=)

i just tried shooting in the sun at f16 with a 1/2000 shutter speed. produced a very nice sun star? or whatever you call it. just hope it doesn't spoil the sensor. haha.
any other opinions?

Yes, this has been asked before, and involves some common sense... If shooting at the sun causes damage to the sensor, then every tourist at every beach would report broken cameras. Just try to avoid viewing through the viewfinder for too long.

OOPS!

Apologies. TS did title the thread "Shooting the Sun" and not having the sun as part of the photo or 'shooting at/towards the sun'.

My bad.

OOPS!

Apologies. TS did title the thread "Shooting the Sun" and not having the sun as part of the photo or 'shooting at/towards the sun'.

My bad.

haha..my bad..i was trying to shoot the sun too. but was just thinking whether it would spoil the sensor..

haha..my bad..i was trying to shoot the sun too. but was just thinking whether it would spoil the sensor..

No worries. My bad also cos I was still remembering all the advise from film days when rubberised silk shutter curtains were common.

But after googling, I still see some sites advising quite a bit of caution, where as some reflect the essence of what has been shared above, except in more detail about pre-cautions. Do a google on 'How to photograph the sun'. ;)

Unless you are using long focal lengths to do those frame filling or even higher mag solar photography shots, the usual sunrise/sunset/midday shots are fine.

Ryan

should say, dun try to do auto / manual focusing with your eyes to prevent retina damage. else the last thing you'll ever see is a big bright thingy for the rest of your life...

iirc, the autofocus will not work when shooting at bright objects esp if you want a big egg yolk, you might get egg white instead.

and about f1.4, the problem with AF systems is the lenses are wide open and aperture closed when taking a shot. so you have to view thru it wide open unless you have a manual lens or you do DOF preview.

Status
Not open for further replies.