Shooting the moon?

chocnoodles

Feb 9, 2010
hi guys, anyone ever shot a pix of the moon? Can't seem to find any threads in here.

I do :) I think most DSLR users should have done it before. It is rather easy but you need a longer lens if you wish to see more details.

Here is my first attempt with my 70-200mm at 16th floor HDB. Quite small though.

hi guys, anyone ever shot a pix of the moon? Can't seem to find any threads in here.

Last edited:
I do :) I think most DSLR users should have done it before. It is rather easy but you need a longer lens if you wish to see more details.

Here is my first attempt with my 70-200mm at 16th floor HDB. Quite small though.

How did u get in so close with just a 70-200mm?? Are u using any teleconverters??
I tried once with my 70-200mm but failed terribly.
In the end, i borrowed my friend's BigmOS to shoot. Anything shorter than 400 is impossible for me.

This is a cropped image.:angel: No teleconverter as I could only afford a f4 version at that time.

How did u get in so close with just a 70-200mm?? Are u using any teleconverters??
I tried once with my 70-200mm but failed terribly.
In the end, i borrowed my friend's BigmOS to shoot. Anything shorter than 400 is impossible for me.

Last edited:
I tried with a friend's 500D and a rented 300 2.8L non IS. 500D helps when you're shooting at low ISOs (it's a bright moon) and want to crop lots. It was very sharp indeed! Putting TC's on just degrades it imo, better to crop if your cam has enough MP's.

I tried with a friend's 500D and a rented 300 2.8L non IS. 500D helps when you're shooting at low ISOs (it's a bright moon) and want to crop lots. It was very sharp indeed! Putting TC's on just degrades it imo, better to crop if your cam has enough MP's.
Hmm Thanks Headshotzx..
Will try that next time!

hmm..interesting. will hunt for a longer lens. Thx for the tips guys!

Remember to keep low ISO and smaller aperture to prevent over-exposure.
Get a tripod and wait for full moon or when moon looks bigger.;)

hmm..interesting. will hunt for a longer lens. Thx for the tips guys!

Sharing one of my moon shots.

3367422151_c05165dde1_o.jpg

Settings:
Canon EOS 450D
Canon EFS 18-200mm Lens
F-Nummer: F 10.0
Aperature value: F 9.9
Exposure time: 1/25 sec.
Shutter speed value: 1/25 sec.
Focusal length: 200.0 mm
Exposure program: Manual control
ISO speed rate: ISO-100

Care to explain the difference between F-Number and Aperture, as well Exposure Time and Shutter speed value? :)

Care to explain the difference between F-Number and Aperture, as well Exposure Time and Shutter speed value? :)

Hahaha, maybe he's quoting the data from his Image manipulation software ad verbatim. He also wants to be precise with his Aperture value, as compared to an F-nummer that is a round nummer. Don't you get it??? Hehehe.

Sorry TS for poking fun at you :)

Cheers!

Hahaha, maybe he's quoting the data from his Image manipulation software ad verbatim. He also wants to be precise with his Aperture value, as compared to an F-nummer that is a round nummer. Don't you get it??? Hehehe.

Gosh, didn't noticed .. 'Nummer' is the German word for number. And "Focusal length" is also a funny new term :) Looks like some funky freeware :)

my latest...
4562801539_072cda23a7.jpg

550D + 70-200mm 2.8 IS + 2X + 1.4X, 33% crop, 2688mm equivalent point of view.

Sharing one of my moon shots.

3367422151_c05165dde1_o.jpg

Settings:
Canon EOS 450D
Canon EFS 18-200mm Lens
F-Nummer: F 10.0
Aperature value: F 9.9
Exposure time: 1/25 sec.
Shutter speed value: 1/25 sec.
Focusal length: 200.0 mm
Exposure program: Manual control
ISO speed rate: ISO-100

this is nice. with a 200mm. which means 300mm would be even closer.