Shooting Sunsets

canon450D

Aug 27, 2008
I got interested in photographing sunsets and could not find a thread after a search through the sections here. Plenty of tips on overseas sites though. Posting this thread to learn from your local experiences. Hope you can help with my following queries:

1. Which part of Singapore offers a better sunset shot or is it the same everywhere?

2. Will pointing the lens at the sun damage the sensor? Manufacturer seems to have no warning on this.

Thank you very much.

I got interested in photographing sunsets and could not find a thread after a search through the sections here. Plenty of tips on overseas sites though. Posting this thread to learn from your local experiences. Hope you can help with my following queries:

1. Which part of Singapore offers a better sunset shot or is it the same everywhere?

2. Will pointing the lens at the sun damage the sensor? Manufacturer seems to have no warning on this.

Thank you very much.

1. Covered to death in the sticky in the travel section dedicated to singapore.

2. Discussed about 50 times already. No. Using a bit of logic and common sense, if it could damage the sensor, the manufacturer would give a warning about it, and forums all over the world would be flooded with people complaining that their trip to the beach, etc, destroyed their sensor.

Being a member since 2008 you have not found the sticky threads and the designated sections? Please, put some efforts in.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land...isting-land-city-scapes-venues-singapore.html
Do note:
- The sun is not always setting at the same position in the West. In June it's setting further to North West, in December more towards South West.
- We don't know what you prefer, how can we recommend a spot? There are some with buildings in foreground, others with nature. Use a map to check what would be likely in the direction.
If there is no warning, even in countries with I Sue The Hell Out of You obsessions, then it should be safe, right? Also, how come people come back from holidays with sunset pictures and the cameras are still intact? It's not the sensor that is at risk (unless of course you do something incredible .. unusual..) But please use Live View to compose, looking through viewfinder is NOT a good idea.
Finally, a sunset does not only consists of the yellow disk touching the horizon. Looks around, turn around, look up .. many more interesting details can be discovered. The rest is up to your own taste and imagination. There's not Sunset Cook Book.

Last edited:
Just type "sunset" in CS search and stroll thru. There are posts and locations shooting sunset in Singapore.

canon450D said:

Thank you very much.

Erm... Anywhere where you can see sunset loh...
Sunset will look about the same anywhere in Singapore cos sg is small.
Just that you might want to consider what to have in foreground and mid ground.
You might want to start with the places like marina bay.

Last edited:
like many have already said,

the sun won't be at the same position tru out the whole year, so some certain spots only good to take sunrise sunset at certain time of the year.

everyday sunrise sunset won't be the same, that depends on the weather and cloudy formation of that day, so you probably need to revisit a same location many times to get the perfect shots. some people done it on the first try, is pure luck, or they have done recce and study the weather condition for the past few days.

there won't be any harm to your camera sensor for pointing your lens at the sun if you exposure it correct.

there won't be any harm to your camera sensor for pointing your lens at the sun if you exposure it correct.

Could you kindly elaborate please? Thank you.

Could you kindly elaborate please? Thank you.

if you point your camera at the sun and open the shutter for a couple of hours, probably the sensor will get overheat.

but than again, if you expose the sunrise sunset for more than a minute without any filters, what you get is only 255, 255, 255.

nobody in the right mind will do that anyway, so you are worry too much for something is not going to happen.

Er what is 255?

red blue green notation in ### ,### ,###
parameters. those values get you pure white screen also know as blown out to heavens

02.jpg
Er what is 255?

Thank you very much.

1. Same Sun, Same sky. What you need to find is the rest of the scene that will frame the sunrise/sunset nicely.

2. It will hurt your eye more than the sensor, especially if you are looking through the viewfinder. There is no warning needed, just try looking at the sun directly for 2 seconds, see if you can take it.

IMHO the most beautiful part of the sunrise/sunset is when the sun is below the horizon. For sunrise that means right before the sun comes up, and for sunset that means right after the sun sets. As for the big egg yolk... once you shot one egg yolk, it is just all the same after that.

Last edited: