Shooting street in Cairo,Egypt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikonshutter

Deregistered
Apr 30, 2008
Other than shooting scenery, can anyone give me tips on street shooting in Egypt?
I heard that Cairo is very famous for thieves and robbers.Will be bringing a Nikon D300,a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8.Anyone with any experience there?And any methods to prevent my stuff from getting stolen?My bag is a Billingham Hadley large if this helps...:dunno:

Be extremely careful. You'll probably need to travel in groups and don't venture out too far off. That Cairo is notorious for thieves and robbers is not without reason. I know of someone who got robbed right outside the hotel.

Get your gear insured.

Yup, protect your stuff and don't flaunt it. Best to travel in groups. You'll be instantly marked out as a tourist and targetted. I've been there and while the sights were fantastic, the people there left a lot to be desired.

yeah... cairo's not as safe as Singapore. Unless you are sitting at some shisha pipe cafe (water pipe) along the narrow streets of Khan el Khalili, try not to flash your expensive gears along the streets.

I don't think there's anything worth shooting on the streets. It's extremely dirty, crumbling, rubbish and rubble everywhere. You're always worried about thieves and robbers. Plus Arabic women do not like their pictures taken.

Far better to take pictures at the scenic sights, at the Cairo museum, etc.

Or even take pictures on a traditional sailboat on the Nile.

Nevertheless, if you want to shoot, rather than a big honking 70-200, may I suggest a simple point and shoot that you can slip into the pocket?

Other than shooting scenery, can anyone give me tips on street shooting in Egypt?
I heard that Cairo is very famous for thieves and robbers.Will be bringing a Nikon D300,a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8.Anyone with any experience there?And any methods to prevent my stuff from getting stolen?My bag is a Billingham Hadley large if this helps...:dunno:

Stick to the tourist spots. When I went there 3 years back, it's very safe. Armed "Tourist Police" patrol the popular markets very very frequently. It's extremely assuring to see bunches of them with MP5s on their "golf carts" driving around. Temples and pyramids all have armed guards as well. They were quite well-behaved, didn't even leave their posts when I asked to take photos with them.

Of course, I went there before I had a DSLR.. So your experience may be different.

Oh yar...one more question...is it safe to bring a backpack which allows equiptment to be taken out through the back?

Er.........this may be going off-topic here but what about travelling to Dubai? Do they have the same problems there as well?

Oh yar...one more question...is it safe to bring a backpack which allows equiptment to be taken out through the back?

No.

Er.........this may be going off-topic here but what about travelling to Dubai? Do they have the same problems there as well?

Why not start your own thread on travelling to Dubai?

Stick to the tourist spots. When I went there 3 years back, it's very safe. Armed "Tourist Police" patrol the popular markets very very frequently. It's extremely assuring to see bunches of them with MP5s on their "golf carts" driving around. Temples and pyramids all have armed guards as well. They were quite well-behaved, didn't even leave their posts when I asked to take photos with them.

Of course, I went there before I had a DSLR.. So your experience may be different.

I agreed, i went there 3 years ago using a film SLR and it is very safe to walk around in the tourist area.

Not sure how the ppls will react been photograph, because that time i more into shooting the building.

btw, no camera is allowed inside Cario Museum, you had to deposit in the guard house, and that time, they just tied a number tag on your camera bag and put it in a paperboard.

Last edited:

hi there.. i am currently living and working in dubai.
dubai is consider the safest city in the world and also singapore.
no worry to bring out ur gear out, the local is too rich to rob u..haha..
just dun worry..
but do becareful for Mr. Sun...
is too hot.. but now is getting better... will be cooler soon...
best time is on Dec.
anyway, is not as much as u seen on TV.. but it still consider a great city to enjoy and shoot..

Note:
1.0)Try not to take picture of the local women (some might feel offfence), dun touch and women and female(dun care is cat, bird or whatever animal) u will get kill for that (animal part is a jok)

2.0)Careful when u on the road, they drive like crzzy ppl, they dun stop at red light. Remember, left is right, right id left.

3.0)happy shooting and do ask me if u need anything.

hi there.. i am currently living and working in dubai.
dubai is consider the safest city in the world and also singapore.
no worry to bring out ur gear out, the local is too rich to rob u..haha..
just dun worry..
but do becareful for Mr. Sun...
is too hot.. but now is getting better... will be cooler soon...
best time is on Dec.
anyway, is not as much as u seen on TV.. but it still consider a great city to enjoy and shoot..

Note:
1.0)Try not to take picture of the local women (some might feel offfence), dun touch and women and female(dun care is cat, bird or whatever animal) u will get kill for that (animal part is a jok)

2.0)Careful when u on the road, they drive like crzzy ppl, they dun stop at red light. Remember, left is right, right id left.

3.0)happy shooting and do ask me if u need anything.
OT... BTW i found Dubai a safe place...

I 've been to Cairo about 5 times in the last 10 yrs, it's a pretty safe place. Get a local guide to drive u around . You can call this guy, Tarek 0123194263. Tell him you're from Singapore. He or his son will come drive u around. He charges cheap too. Hope you have fun there!

Dubai? Absolutely no problem!! They dun give a hood what you doing........ they are only interested in building buildings....... and structures....... whats that little cam on your shoulder.. they couldn't care less.:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.