Shooting Shiny furniture

iRaphael

Feb 23, 2007
Pandan Gardens
Hi,

would like to seek advice from anyone who has experience shooting extremely varnished wood and how i can prevent the reflections from lights around.

Thoughts of using umbrellas and other styrofoam boards to soften the light but don't really know if it'd work.

Thanks!

iRaphael said:
Hi,

would like to seek advice from anyone who has experience shooting extremely varnished wood and how i can prevent the reflections from lights around.

Thoughts of using umbrellas and other styrofoam boards to soften the light but don't really know if it'd work.

Thanks!

Use white cioth to cover the lights?

I'm no expert in studio shoots

iRaphael said:
Hi,

Thanks!

All surfaces reflect light. Don't know what you're really asking, it's either with light or no light. What light source are you using? Softbox is a good start.

And, are you sort of looking for a look of those newly designed apartments with furniture from those condo ads?

Sgdevilzz said:
All surfaces reflect light. Don't know what you're really asking, it's either with light or no light. What light source are you using? Softbox is a good start.

And, are you sort of looking for a look of those newly designed apartments with furniture from those condo ads?

I think what TS is talking is the furniture is not in studio setting. So there are lights that are reflecting on the furniture

How would you shoot a shiny car? Maybe if you look at how people shoot cars (even cars in the outdoor), you would have some ideas on how to shoot shiny furniture?

actually the setting will be in a warehouse, with some fluorescent lights around. i can bring in a few flashes with umbrellas. its not a huge warehouse, and i don't think studio strobes would be good as the lights will be quite close to the furniture.

what i don't want to achieve is to get the little spots of white light on the furniture. anyone has any ideas? the space is fixed and i cannot change it.

I remember this article on specular highlight control from Strobist.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nkqVsmymcKU/TVX_bTgCYtI/AAAAAAAADVw/CAjiVp7o1EI/s400/IMGP7124.JPG

There were a few more in his On-Assignment archive (but my search skills suck.... sorry)

Using that line of thought, maybe a backdrop holder with a shoot through material (so that apparent light area is real large) and the strobes shooting through those?
You styrofoam bounce idea may work also.
Maybe you try at home 1st.

In product photogarphy, we would use a large softbox with a diffusion panel placed in front of the softbox to create a really diffused and non specular highlight. But a big furniture may be a problem.

You'd probably need a very huge and even light source.

have to create a huge light source and diffused it like mentioned earlier. working with hot lights will be much easier. speedlights will be tough unless u are good with working the light.