shooting sceneries

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcy

Mar 18, 2007
which lens do you guys normally use for shooting sceneries like a landscape. i prefer using wide angles so that my picture won't feel so cramped up like i'm trying to squeeze everything into the picture... however when i shoot using wide angles, the photo feels very empty like i'm lacking a subject... what do you guys normally do?

thanks alot... but sometimes its hard to find something to put in the foreground... for example i may be in a foresty area where there is no one... and if i try to include something in... it may not be very related to nature or the land scape... or if i get a tree the sky will be blocked out making it very cramped... usually i shoot cos i find the scenery very beautiful and wish to capture the moment... but when it turns up in the photo it gives the empty feeling... doesnt give me the wow feeling making me wanna be there... any help with this problem?

Not all photos necessarily have to give the viewer the wow feeling.. +) So long as you convey your mood that you intend to convey, I think you'd have done a good job already.

For such situations.. Try different angles. I notice that a lot of people shoot at eye level.. Which is in a way, pretty limiting and restrictive. Go lower. Go further. Move yourself.

As for the inclusion of stuff, you don't have to include something that is nature. Even a rock which is very outstanding can be interesting.

Can also try special effects filters, though some frown on their use. As for that, I have yet to experiment with them, though I probably will in the near future.

ic.. thanks alot i'll try it out and hopefully i can post some beautiful pictures... still trying to to compress my files udner the 100kb limit as i shot in raw:angry:

which lens do you guys normally use for shooting sceneries like a landscape. i prefer using wide angles so that my picture won't feel so cramped up like i'm trying to squeeze everything into the picture... however when i shoot using wide angles, the photo feels very empty like i'm lacking a subject... what do you guys normally do?

Your problem has got nothing to do with the lenses you use. Its more of developing a keener eye for composition. This will usually come with more studies of other photographer's work. Train your eyes to see the most minute details. Ask yourself, if you think that your photos are too empty, then why take the photo in the first place? You control the things you wish to include or exclude in the photos. That's called designing a photo and that's when you learn how to fill up your frames.

There are a lot of elements you can consider to make your photos more interesting. E.g. if you are shooting a scene with a road, you can consider using the vehicular light trails to add interests to your shot. Make use of the passive elements.

Well zooms can give pretty good view too. I find myself taking at around 120mm (or 192mm efl) most of the time, even with landscapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.