Shooting Saturn

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Ladies and gentlemen... Saturn over the Singapore sky last night...

7070826181_ff8f55cfea.jpg

Nikon V1 + FT1 + Kenko 1.4x TC + Kenko 2x TC + Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm

Therefore, effective focal length = 3780mm.

ISO 400, 1/13 sec.

No idea with the aperture was as I had to use masking tape to open up the aperture to the maximum and mask out some contact. So V1 EXIF reporting f0. Heavily cropped, then PP as best I could in Photoshop.

The V1 helped me achieved a childhood dream of seeing the rings of Saturn with my own eyes.

UncleFai said:
Ladies and gentlemen... Saturn over the Singapore sky last night...

Nikon V1 + FT1 + Kenko 1.4x TC + Kenko 2x TC + Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm

Therefore, effective focal length = 3780mm.

ISO 400, 1/13 sec.

No idea with the aperture was as I had to use masking tape to open up the aperture to the maximum and mask out some contact. So V1 EXIF reporting f0. Heavily cropped, then PP as best I could in Photoshop.

The V1 helped me achieved a childhood dream of seeing the rings of Saturn with my own eyes.

Assuming u are at ur biggest aperture, u should be abt F/14 including all ur converters and sigma at 500mm

fmeeran said:
3800mm!!! Lol
You should try using a scope with the setup next. :)

Indeed contemplating. But must clear with Commander in Chief at home. Lately she complaining I have too much photography stuff lying around the house already.

UncleFai said:
Indeed contemplating. But must clear with Commander in Chief at home. Lately she complaining I have too much photography stuff lying around the house already.

I'm in the process of petitioning for a scope as well. Doesn't look very promising at the moment. :-D

Since the complaint is already there, you may as well bring it to new heights! :) After all, how often do you get to shoot Saturn..

Since the complaint is already there, you may as well bring it to new heights! :) After all, how often do you get to shoot Saturn..

Well, on most clear nights when we are near saturn of course....

Right now Mars is also a nice target.

Good effort! :D

Right now Mars is also a nice target.

Will certainly try that! Unfortunately, my apartment is blocked by many taller buildings on several sides. Only a limited field of view :(

Will certainly try that! Unfortunately, my apartment is blocked by many taller buildings on several sides. Only a limited field of view :(

The planets all track the same line on the evening sky. So it should be easy to find - otherwise, step outside! ;)

kei1309 said:
my room has some space. do you want to store your gear at my place? :bsmilie:

Unfortunately the issue is not lack of space but rather the budget shortfalls. Donations for "help me shoot the planets" fund welcome. :D

nice try.

Nice... I didnt know we could shoot saturn from singapore skies. I wonder, with your setup... you will see clearly the ISS (International Space Station) and the surface of the moon.

Someone pointed me to astronomy stacking freewares... and indeed I got a cleaner picture after stacking 15 shots with RegiStax (http://www.astronomie.be/registax/download.html):

6946536548_e37076c4bb_n.jpg

I so want to do a reshoot but so far the sky has been most uncooperative :(

Last edited:
Wow.. didn't know can capture this here. but its good try.